World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Anyone know if all models of this reel were fitted with iar bearing?
The reel occasionally back winds a turn or so.
Have stripped it down & there appears to be a standard type bearing where I'd expect a iar bearing to be. Did the early models just rely on the anti reverse dog?
20200627_121053.jpg 20200627_121142.jpg 20200627_121119.jpg
Tia

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
The older reels had a pawl not an IAR bearing. Thats a Rocket, I had one in the early 90's before Abu started fitting IAR bearings , The first reel I had with an IAR bearing was an Elite.

·
Registered
7,912 Posts
Thats a MKII Rocket which was not fitted with an IAR as you have discovered. If you want to fit one you will need to change the side plate as the MK1 had a 13mm ID boss ... you need a plate with a later 14mm ID boss to take the ABU IAR. If you can find a bearing with a 13mm OD you may be able to concoct something but I suspect you would need to lock the bearing in with bearing lock or epoxy as they need to be an interference fit to stop them revolving.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I meant to say .... that one is in good nick for its age. They are a nice reel.
Yes it's in good condition, was going to chop the cage & fit a ct bar but think I may get a flat bar ct cage , that way can change it back to original.
Wont be fitting a mag to this 1 either lol

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but the drive shaft, on the end, looks like a screw in it, sure they had a circlip or what ever they are called, the end where the nut goe's when everything is assembled

1 - 8 of 8 Posts