World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst Fishing last night and both my HT Mags developed the same fault!

The reels are 3 to 4 years old and are in goof nick, the are not used very often & never giving any problems.

Last night when I pushed in the casting button the pinion gear would not re-engage when I turned the handle?

I had a quick look and could see the pinion gear was not releasing forward when I rotated the handle??

Anyone else had this problem? is it a known issue? and what's the remedy?

Any help would be much appreciated

Ray

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Hi Ray, I had exactly the same thing happen to me last weekend at Chesil. It took as many as 30-40 turns of the handle to re-engage the gear. This happened on both reels the same day :g:
I pm'd Russ at Blackdog and he said it was probably due to needing a service, so I boxed mine up and he has them now.
Me and servicing reels don't mix very well, so his diagnosis was probably spot on, but don't know if you suffer from the same disability as me where when I can take a reel apart, but I cannot succesfuly put the damn thing back together again :uhuh:
I did fit the pinion support sleeves when I bought the reels just over a year ago, but they've not been serviced since.....
hope this helps (a bit)
John

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I stripped the reels down, cleaned them, applies fresh lube and a lot of tinkering they are now working as new!

Anyone who has fitted a Matchman sleeve, remember to periodically remove it, re oil and refit it to avoid it getting stuck!!!!

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
its usually a case of the reel getting clogged up with hardened grease, more so this time of year with the lower temps keeping the grease from softening up. i only use lithium spray grease as its lighter and less prone to clogging up :)

sent from my new GT I9100 As some little scroat robbed my last one

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.