World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody see that on the news? 70 whales spotted 3 miles west of mumbles swansea heading towards cardiff, keep an eye out for them when fishing!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Seventy pilot whales spotted off Wales coast Apr 11 2005

Robin Turner, Western Mail

AROUND 70 pilot whales were spotted off Swansea Bay at Mumbles yesterday.

Swansea Coastguard officials said they had not seen anything like "for more than 20 years".

The whales were seen yesterday morning off Mumbles Head.

They were believed to be heading in the direction of Port Talbot or Porthcawl and were thought to be following schooling fish.

Pilot whales (Globicephala melas) are normally seen in the North Atlantic.

They grow to around six metres in length and normally feed on squid or octopus.

UK waters have a number of whales include minke and the huge great blue which can grow to 25m long.

A number of people gathered at Knab Rock in Mumbles yesterday to watch the whales.

One said, "It was wonderful to see so many of them in one place.

"At one point the sea seemed to be boiling with whales.

"It was a wonderful sight... you just don't expect to see them so close."

·
Registered
737 Posts
what shouling fish were they chasing ?

·
Registered
325 Posts
dogfish with any luck!

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
HI wish i had seen the whales,i have seen a fin whale in menai strait.also what have people got against dogfish?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I agree jason. When its quiet on my main rods I`ve fished for em on a 3lb test pike rod and had some good sport.
All the doggies have gone back safe,Ive not blanked,result all round.
Terry F.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
they cute aint they,,,tell u somthing,,My last few fishing trips ave been loaded with doggy catches..and god bless em,,they make my rods bounce,,and it makes the whole thing worthwhile..

i love the way the blink at you,snort at you,and try to strip the skin off your hands..lol

end of the day,,they can be big fish,,and feel better than trying to reel in a goldfish sized whiting..

love em,,,

Release em all,,,let em swim about,,and give others a bit of sport...Dont kill em for no reason...

Ive been unfortunate enough to see a few anus's throw um against rocks,,leave em flap about on the floor..and stamp on em,,to which ive got a bit up close and personnal. hope you people fry in hell..you inbred johnson gobblers!

·
Registered
325 Posts
my reply was in jest, i have nothing against dogfish, i would love to see more of them shoaling and leaping about in the surf, they are such entertaining creatures i always put them back with a wry smile on my face, knowing that they have just beaten a prime bass,bream,cod or even a thorny to your quality black lug ,live razor or peeler crab for their tea, and i'm sure they know that when i catch them they can go back and they can roll around on the sea bed and do what they do best !. i personally have blanked many times this last four months and as you say its nice to see the rod bend,even for a dogfish,sorry if i offended anyone with my off the cuff humour perhaps, i shall see posts like that again and not put any thought into a reply or add some humour, in to what is a fun sport and a fun site,my sincere apologies to all those who think i'm called dog hop for something i might do to those lovely denizens of the deep!!!

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Whales, heading for Cardiff (down South isn't it?) Are they hardcore whales or just well ... whales out for a good time!

I also saw a whale caught between the two bridges over the Menai Straits. She and her young 'un where there for a couple of days frightening the whatsit out of all the local marine life. Marvellous to see them so close leaping in and out of the sea. Didn't have the heart to try for them, although I was tempted!

Let's hope the ones mentioned in the report don't finish washed-up on a beach somewhere.

·
Registered
325 Posts
my mate was spinning on oxwich point a couple of years ago and he saw something large in the water,when it got closer he noticed it was a sun fish laying on its side !he didnt know whether it was sunbathing or recovering from a fierce fishing bout with someone,so he left him go on his way ,when he told mainwairings, he was told he could have won fish of the month and quite possibly fish of the year with it if he had a camera with him!!and another friend hooked into a seal at knab rock!that was quite exciting until it took all his line but that as they say in fishing tales is another story !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts