World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My younger brother just rang me from a recently discovered mark , in Clare, that I sent him to this morning to see if he could catch his first Bass on a plug other than the shoolies he had recently.

He was in hysterics so it was hard to get all the info but he measured the fish at 73cm and reckoned it must be 8 to 10 lb!

Apparently he thought he was caught on a rock till it started running! He ended up getting soaked landing him!

Would 8-10 be a good guess? as I have not had one so big and dont know.

cheers

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Deffo worth getting wet for!
Totally!!

I think I got more excited than he did when he told me!

I found some marks in various locations that require a bit of walking and I reckon have hardly seen an angler before.

He was on a days holidays and rang me this morning so I told him where to go, not thinking I would hear he caught something that size!

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Hi All,

My younger brother just rang me from a recently discovered mark , in Clare, that I sent him to this morning to see if he could catch his first Bass on a plug other than the shoolies he had recently.

He was in hysterics so it was hard to get all the info but he measured the fish at 73cm and reckoned it must be 8 to 10 lb!

Apparently he thought he was caught on a rock till it started running! He ended up getting soaked landing him!

Would 8-10 be a good guess? as I have not had one so big and dont know.

cheers
On a different scale used in match fishing and for catch and release match a bass of 73cm would be estimated to be 3.80kilos which is about 8.4lb.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
On a different scale used in match fishing and for catch and release match a bass of 73cm would be estimated to be 3.80kilos which is about 8.4lb.

have you got that scale mate?..ive checked the BASS site sizes and their very generous weight wise i reckon on both scales.?i had a 30" bass last year and it weighed 9lb 13oz..mind you the bass sizes are far more reliable compared to the smut conversions lol....cheers

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
have you got that scale mate?..ive checked the BASS site sizes and their very generous weight wise i reckon on both scales.?i had a 30" bass last year and it weighed 9lb 13oz..mind you the bass sizes are far more reliable compared to the smut conversions lol....cheers
hi bark ,,
a Bass of 30 inch,,755mm should have weighed at least 10lbs12oz but its dependdant on time of year ,,i recently had a Bass of 72cm and it weighed 10 lbs 12oz on official scales time of year of capture and the weight differential for time of year must be taken into account on the fishes weight we just get some fat pigs down in ireland
:icecream::icecream::icecream:
gee

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Cracking first bass on a plug :thumbs:
deffo around the 9lb 4oz:clap: well done
Hi Bob ,,
hows it going mate,,big tides at the weekend cannot wait some Bass to be had!!!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap:

gee

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
HI Graham
good luck to you . every big fish that comes your way you deserve:thumbs: Pat also . you have a fantastic coast line
look after it :clap:
them big boys could easily be over fished

will try and get out myself this weekend , didnt make it last weekend :nono:

birthday party left me up side down with the mother of all hangovers :sad2:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cracking first bass on a plug :thumbs:
deffo around the 9lb 4oz:clap: well done
Thanks Bob, he is so chuffed!! his first big bass, bigger than anything I've caught and on the plugs too!

He called to me earlier and was reliving it all lol

I reckon the mark will produce bigger too as I really think its never seen an angler before lol, also the other mark I found should be good on its day! A bit more fishing to be done! If only work didnt interfere!

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
happyguy.
That bass is a fish of a lifetime:bounce: to many pluggers :crazy:
you are so lucky to have a virtualy unexplored or fished coastline.
I along with mrfishjersey had a sample of your shores a few weeks back .
To say that the fishing was great would be wrong it was fantastic.
Well worth a second trip.

If you have new ground to try or even where the 73cm came from
what i found over the years is not to stand to close to area you are going to plug, keep back and if possible not to cast any shadows over
the water, really spooks the biggins :bones:

regards Bob

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
happyguy.
That bass is a fish of a lifetime:bounce: to many pluggers :crazy:
you are so lucky to have a virtualy unexplored or fished coastline.
I along with mrfishjersey had a sample of your shores a few weeks back .
To say that the fishing was great would be wrong it was fantastic.
Well worth a second trip.

If you have new ground to try or even where the 73cm came from
what i found over the years is not to stand to close to area you are going to plug, keep back and if possible not to cast any shadows over
the water, really spooks the biggins :bones:

regards Bob
Cheers Bob,

Plenty of Bass about and as little angling for them that there is, there is hardly anyone plugging for them.

The marks I found this year, have both produced, the one that gave up the 73cm, i imagine has never been fished before, other than myself! Was my brothers first time there but I had a few last year at the end of the season a short hop from there.

Thanks for the tip too :thumbs: I think the other mark last sunday that we were missing all the fish and getting all the follows on, was possibly because we were too visible against the skyline. Note to self - STAY BACK!! lol going to try some slug-gos at one of those marks this weekend. Had 70 odd packs of various slug-gos,senko,you names its lol sent to me earlier this year.

I do alot of walking when not fishing and thats how I discovered these marks, they looked so BASSY!! :laugh:

the present record irish bass is recorded in county clare

i think

gee
your spot on Graham :thumbs: its stood for a good few years too................maybe there is something bigger lurking in the deeps!! :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sound words Bob you have seen first hand the kind of fishing we have an it is vital that it be protected, those big fish are the really heavey spawners and need to be returned to the water unharmed if at all possible... They are the fish of a life time so lets protect them:group:
looking forward to a big tide ahead so you know where me and graham are off to!!! and it ain't smoking dope:wacko: Well done on a super fish!!!

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Luckyguy,
when you walk these marks , even sussing them out :eek:hmy:
take you plugging rod YOU never know whats there :victory:
could be missing out on a monster bass thats never seen a plug !!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
hi bark ,,
a Bass of 30 inch,,755mm should have weighed at least 10lbs12oz but its dependdant on time of year ,,i recently had a Bass of 72cm and it weighed 10 lbs 12oz on official scales time of year of capture and the weight differential for time of year must be taken into account on the fishes weight we just get some fat pigs down in ireland
:icecream::icecream::icecream:
gee

30" to end of tail..it was late september graham..she was red all along the belly and had a very dark head.but was skinny in the belly.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sound words Bob you have seen first hand the kind of fishing we have an it is vital that it be protected, those big fish are the really heavey spawners and need to be returned to the water unharmed if at all possible... They are the fish of a life time so lets protect them:group:

Too true Padge, although Ive not had one as big as my brother, i hope to if Im lucky! He thought he snagged a rock till it started running :laugh:

fingers crossed he was the first of many.

bobjameson Luckyguy,
when you walk these marks , even sussing them out
take you plugging rod YOU never know whats there
could be missing out on a monster bass thats never seen a plug !!!!!!!
Your right Bob, Im going to buy a travel rod to keep in my back pack while walking. I walk the coast and the Burren alot, some times up to 20 miles or more a day, but on days I just do the coast, it could be up 15 miles or more conbined as I drive around and walk different sections of coastline, especially when its rough weather!

Great way to fine places that most people never see and as a bonus the odd Bassy looking location too :thumbs:

Looking forward to learning from all ye more experienced lads too :thumbs:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts