·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the advantages of the mag over the standard 7ht? :cc_surren

·
Registered
369 Posts
Mags are good at night if your not to good at judging when to stop the spool as you obviously cant see when the weight is about to hit the water. with my abu mag elite i can wack the mags up and cast and not even need to put my finger on the spool when the weight hits the water and it wont birdie.
I have a standard 7HT (black) very good reels and easy to use, but i would like a 7HT mag just because it looks awsome!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Ease of use.
The standard just has break blocks although not that difficult to use.
You may have to faff around on the beach if the wind changes removing side plates to add or subtract blocks to adjust breaking.
Or have a very educated thumb.
The magnet version is a lot easier to use and the breaking can be adjusted easily at any time just by turning the magnet adjuster on the side plate if conditions change.
A lot less hairy for the newcomer.

:fish::fish: :fishing:

·
Registered
448 Posts
hi m8 i think the 7ht is better the the 7ht mag i becaues thay are simple and thay can cast very good the Retrieve on the 7ht is slower and it has a padle handle but its ok if you are over clean ground and mixed. im not saying the 7ht mag is a bad reel but its not to my tasted and i dont like the mag said of it !!:bb::bb:

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have both and struggle to see why the mag is nearly 100 pounds more expensive, yes they are both great reels as are all the reels bearing the 7ht stamp but my one complaint is that I find the mag stops my cast before it hits the water, I'm running it at 2 on the mags but reduce that with each trip by half, we will see

·
Registered
369 Posts
The mag is a bit pricey for some reason??? Perhaps you could by a standard mag and get blakdog to convert it to mag for £20??!! Only thing with a mag convertion on a standard 7ht is you have to lose the centrifugal brakes :(

·
Registered
20,807 Posts
Paul Kerry tells me the mag is 'foolproof' guess it depends on your level of expertise.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
got two mags even had matchman mick work his magic with them but still fined me useing my penn 525s lol just bought some diawa saltist 30h for the boat and boy do they cast well will have to give them a try off the beach i know crazyplums raves about them so there you go just enjoy your toys and have fun captin bob:victory:

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
Hi mate
As previously said both are great reels. The mag is just that little more refined. Smooth as a babies bum when your casting and retrieving, has the flexibility of a mag system and looks the dogs do-das. The mag is the result of feed back of how the black 7ht could be improved, so will be a better reel. The choice is simple if you can afford the mag, have it, if not, get the black 7ht and still have a first class reel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts