World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently ordered a 7HT Mag for myself. These things aren't that common in the US, so I can't get a lot of information easily. I had someone tell me that I would need to upgrade the drag washers before fishing because anything of any size would give me trouble. Can anyone here confirm or deny this?

Thanks in advance

G

·
I'm on my second season on Smooth hounds with my 7ht mags,I actually bought a pair,total rubbish regarding the drag washers,I have had countless fish up to 17lb and not been left wanting anything,the drag can only be descibed as "smooth as silk" try it for yourself and see,just remember,these reels cast a little different to "orthodox"mag reels in as much after releasing the spool to cast very little if any control is needed,interference with the spool rotation tends to confuse the magnafuge system which I can assure you will result in a blow up,you will not be dissapointed with your choice trust me,keep in touch and let me know how you get on,
Tight lines,Puffy.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
well there was a magazine test in this country that stated the drag would not lock up completely,my mates is wont either...id say they may be a bit undergunned for the size of fish you encounter over in the states.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the feedback... yeah, 17 lbs is not that big for what I could encounter over here. Will definately have to look into a drag upgrade.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
what about the penn 100 there a lot cheaper in the states then hear and it casts realy well with a little practice just a thought

G

·
well there was a magazine test in this country that stated the drag would not lock up completely,my mates is wont either...id say they may be a bit undergunned for the size of fish you encounter over in the states.
Personally I fail to see the need for a "total lock up" via the drag system on a bait casting reel,I know that if I were to fully wind down the drag on my reels I would probably suffer line failure,as stated previously, my reels have perfomed faultlessly for the last 18 months,you may be advised to check with Daiwa to ensure that any mods to the reel would not effect the warranty in any way.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Second what Peterpuff says, the only mag reel I have ever used with a mag system that actually does what it says on the tin. Drags are fine, but i tend to catch 8-9 lb tiddlers.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Personally I fail to see the need for a "total lock up" via the drag system on a bait casting reel,I know that if I were to fully wind down the drag on my reels I would probably suffer line failure,as stated previously, my reels have perfomed faultlessly for the last 18 months,you may be advised to check with Daiwa to ensure that any mods to the reel would not effect the warranty in any way.
Have a look on here,the poster didnt say what he was going to be fishing for and the states is a big place!

http://pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/index.php

http://www.stripersonline.com/

theres some specimens that would totally rag the life out of most reels drags after a short time.
also locking up a drag does come in handy fishing in the rough when its hit and hold...no lock up means lost fish,no ratchet!,meant to be a fishing reel isnt it?coz the abu 6500s go further,thats why i reckon the 7ht mag is crap for north devon let alone the states with sharks from the shore imo.

G

·
Have a look on here,the poster didnt say what he was going to be fishing for and the states is a big place!

http://pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/index.php

http://www.stripersonline.com/

theres some specimens that would totally rag the life out of most reels drags after a short time.
also locking up a drag does come in handy fishing in the rough when its hit and hold...no lock up means lost fish,no ratchet!,meant to be a fishing reel isnt it?coz the abu 6500s go further,thats why i reckon the 7ht mag is crap for north devon let alone the states with sharks from the shore imo.
No one said the 7ht mag was suited to rough ground,nor for that matter was it the question,you stick to your dated 6500's,sorry did you say rough ground?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I thought so,and 6500's are suited to rough ground,pull your trousers up mate I've heard enough.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
i'v fished with abu's for most of my 36yrs fishing. recently i bought a 7ht mag.i was so impressed i bought another.sill use my chrome rocket and sports mag as spares. the drags are similar but not one of the four can be called a rough ground reel

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Recently ordered a 7HT Mag for myself. These things aren't that common in the US, so I can't get a lot of information easily. I had someone tell me that I would need to upgrade the drag washers before fishing because anything of any size would give me trouble. Can anyone here confirm or deny this?

Thanks in advance
you might want to find that if you need to upgrade the drag for what your catching you'll put to much strain on the gears etc. their cracking reels for what their intended for

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
No one said the 7ht mag was suited to rough ground,nor for that matter was it the question,you stick to your dated 6500's,sorry did you say rough ground?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I thought so,and 6500's are suited to rough ground,pull your trousers up mate I've heard enough.
nor did i say that you want to be using them mags on the rough stuff,but a gutless clutch wont stick much use on the american market imo.im just trying to help the guy who is wedging out on these reels.
people who fish for tope off the shore use reels devised for general american shore fishing..not really the 7hts forte.
they are a casting reel,and the original poster was looking for a fishing not a casting reel.

what does pull your trousers up mean?

is it a threat?

you stick to using your reels that suit you ..leave the rest of us to give impartial help to a guy with an honest question.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts