World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
'Blast Beach Veteran'
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got an sl20 and an slx30. I'm now looking to buy another smaller multi for beach work. I had an ordinary 7ht a few years ago and couldn't fault it. I hate level winds so what's it to be, turbo or rocket, what would you lot go for?

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
I'd go for the 7ht either in it's original form or the turbo version if you want to splash the cash - the reels are simple to use straight from the box and very user friendly

·
Registered
116 Posts
Having had both 7HT's and 6500's in Rocket and standard CT forms, I have always found the millionairre reels to be more consistant and reliable so would definatly recommend the Daiwa's.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i would go for an elite, but i haven't tried a turbo yet. i'm trying to pick one up cheap or swap it for my 525 super mag, just incase i don't like it.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The price issue has to be a big factor mate 7HT Turbo £110, Green 6500CTC3 Mag Elite £70 or a Daiwa 7HT £70. Its a tough call, is it really worth the extra money? However the new Abu 6500 range is coming out soon, i saw a grey and orange one in this months Sea Angler and i looked amazing, perhaps you could wait and have a look at them when they come out?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Thats interesting Cain? If you dont mind me asking how different are they to the original 7HT, and is it true that the materials used are not as good?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Soon there in this months Sea Angler if you want to have a look. You could try looking on Abus website, or Pure Fishings i am not to sure and they will probably be able to give you more information.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
i must say they dont look good IMO abu have lost the plot in keeping up with what was once the KING of shore reels:schmoll: R.I.P. ABU:yucky:

·
Registered
960 Posts
Thats interesting Cain? If you dont mind me asking how different are they to the original 7HT, and is it true that the materials used are not as good?
there is a couple of big differences between the old 7ht and the turbo;
the spool is coned inwards on the ends
the shaft no longer runs through the pinion gear
the materials and whole build just look cr$p
some scream some dont
the bearings are a strange sort of bearing
however they are a really fast reel amd if magged make a decent reel for field work.
hope this helps
cain.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Cheers Cain, was thinking about one for distance light beach work. I dont need anymore reels i just liked the looks of it really and seen as it was new i fancied buying one. Perhaps i might wait for the new Abu 6500 as it looks beautiful in orange and grey.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Just bought a new mag elite for £69 from gerrys. Also just fitted a chris macey coversion for £25. Now i have an awesome tool for under a ton!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
i have both these reels.

and id go for the 7ht turbo every time i use my 6500 as a back up reel now the turbo is alot smother and the 7ht is more forgiving if you mess a cast up. the new 7ht has a bigger handle than the old one but it still itsnt a power handle as of such but alot better than the old 7ht handle

iv got a super mag for sale if thas any good to you brand new never used 80.00 just put red ice line and shock on it yesterday

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've just bought the new 6500ct - in orange it's look's bloody luv'ly..
very smooth /fast .
Something i found interesting tho was on my old reel dawia 6hm !!!
it only had 2 brake blocks.. this has 6 and looks to me like you can adjust them to be on or off i could be wrong but thats what it looks like....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts