World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With both squid and cuttle suddenly around in good numbers, and with optimism both regarding weather and marina arm readiness, and once again sponsored by Sussex tackle giant TronixPro, it is my great pleasure to announce the proposed date of the 7th All England Squid championships, Sunday 4th May 2014.

Likely to be a 10:00 book in at the Breakwater Cafe, which is sited at the beginning of the East arm of Brighton Marina, with the fishing 11:00 thru 16:00.

In the event of clarity not being up to the mark, this event WILL be postponed. This might be short notice, so please keep your fingers crossed along with me that doesnt need to happen.

rules, Prizes etc to be added to this thread. RNLI will be the benefiting charity, with all proceeds, barring the discounted wall ticket which is essential to cover insurance, going to the good guys.

One from this morning....

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
...... ive got this years title. no need anyone else compete

·
Registered
7,675 Posts
I hope the event is a massive success again this year, attracting anglers from far and wide to promote the Sussex recreational fishery.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
So what happened to it being on a saturday this year?

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Never seen this sort of fishing before, I am intrigued!
Dont die curious.... There is free video coverage of previous events on the SFTV section of sportingfish.co.uk.
Its a fun event, with tasty rewards for those who get lucky. A fundraiser for the RNLI, but primarily a showcase for UK squid fishing. It also pushes people to try in their own areas, often with results. Very simplistic, all you need to be in with a chance is a carp rod, regular sliding float gear and some jigs. Oh, and a drop net is very very important. If you like what you see on the video, please come along :)

·
Wind Up Merchant
5,985 Posts
you keeping this a secret from the Essex continjent then rob,i promise I wont rape,but I might pillage lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Fishyrob...... I have permission from the wife to get down there.....have a few secret (but legal) ideas......will try out on Monday 27th April .... PS I am the chap whose son caught a nice one last Thursday and you helped with your drop net............ also got a good supply of jigs from Australia (not alibaba)....... the chase is on!!!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Eh up Rob , is this still a goer ? see the winds are northerlies and cooler from thursday onwards so water should be ok ish , just a few questions as i have not targeted squid before what are the rules ? 1 rod 1 jig ? is bait allowed ect cheers Rob hope to see you sunday

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Apologies for the slow feed. Its just, its taking me a while to adjust to the fact that the forecast looks BLOODY AMAZING for this comp...... Not something we usually enjoy. Northerlies, but Sunday's forecast is now light easterlies. Air temps only to 13 degrees so the slight breeze might make it feel chilly so wrap up.......

Book in will be as last year - Breakwater Cafe at the Brighton marina east arm. 09:30 onwards
Fishing 11:00 through 16:00
Full rules will be on the score card, but same as last year, Both squid and cuttle count, mantle length, so I recommend you take a ruler, and also a pen for the scorecard. How to measure all on the card.
£5 entrance, plus wall ticket. The wall ticket will be charged at the full £3, but there is a very generous commitment from Dave Grinham at The Tackle Box Brighton to a cash donation to the final tally. ALL £5 OF THE ENTRANCE FEE GOES TO THE RNLI.
Massive efforts have been made by marina staff to bring more bays into play for this event, and they have managed it in time, so a massive cheers guys :)
Nice prize spread, but more importantly, MORE STUNNING GLASS ENGRAVED TROPHIES..... I got close to one last year. Will try harder this year......
Presentations will be different this year. Simplified. We will do the prizes once more by the Breakwater Cafe. Results will be shouted out, in old school style..............
Current catches are reasonable for the amount of efforts being put in on them. Here's one I quite literally caught earlier...........

1 - 20 of 30 Posts