World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I decided to go fishing for the first time in a few weeks and made my way to a favourite spot. This time last year (almost to the day) I caught a 6lb bass from the shore in roughly the same area so I decided to go back there to see whatagwaning.

After a longer than expected walk as the beach was pretty full, I unpacked. Taking care not to shine lights everywhere and make loads of noise got my things ready.

First lob out with some reduced price raw king prawns from Tesco, I caught the obligatory pin whiting on a 2 hook flapper, so small, it was a contender for livebaiting, but remembering the Mauri maxim of throwing back the first fish of a session, back he went.

After an hour an a half of this, it got to high tide. I had chucked a modest 40 yards to see if anything was in close, but after a 15 minute spell of no action I decided to reel in.

With one size 5/0 loaded with one and a half king prawns and a size 1 with a segment of prawn on the lower end, I began to reel in.
For some reason I remembered the advice to occasionally pause when reeling in to rebait as I've caught fish like this before and its always worth a try.

As I did so I reeled in perhaps 5 turns when WHAM! Fish on! I knew straight away it was a bass! No time to think, no need to strike, the fish had pounced and had hooked itself and knew it before I even did.

As I've got a new reel, I stupidly hadn't set the drag so as the fish clearly wanted to strip line and having been in the situation before when carp fishing knowing that not giving the fish line might cause a snap-off, I had to leap towards the sea as the fish splashed around on the surface trying to get off.

It took me to the right and back to the left, I had to run after it as it pulled away. It got itself into the current of the sea and with the incoming waves it headed right by about 40 yards. I regained my composure a bit and fought back as I was scared of losing the fish. This caused the fish to more or less stop instantly in its runs. I turned the fish around and remembering a conversation I'd had recently with someone about how most fish are lost under the rod as you bring them in because of the tension, I was very aware I was still on the verge of losing it. I still didn't know which hook it was on - the meaty 5/0 or the slender size 1, so had to play it carefully.

I used the sea to my advantage and turned the fish back into the waves as they came in. The sea was very strong at this point and so I put the pressure on just enough to bring it in on the top of a wave.

As the fish was so heavy it only just about beached. As the sea receded, I pounced, grabbing the line and seeing that the fish was on the size 1, my heart was in my mouth. As I tried to pull the line up the next wave came in - just as it did, the fish kicked and I just had to grab it - right on the lower lip whilst still holding the line taunt. Thankfully I hauled it away up the shingle just at the right time.

The reason why it fought so hard I discovered afterwards was that the 6oz lead had come off during the fight and must have allowed the fish to do more of what it wanted. Luckily I had new 25lb straight mainline on.

In conclusion, I'm very, very happy! I was after cod at the beginning of the session, but that can wait for another day as a PB fish stops everything.

Wow. What a fish. 70cms. 8lb on the dot.

Attachments

·
She Pirate and Global Moderator
12,623 Posts
Well done, lovely bass,,,,,, I see you have your herbs ready on the side,,,,,,

·
Registered
399 Posts
Cracking fish mate, well done! So you caught that on raw prawn, what a result, i am going to try that stopping when reeling in, never tried that before.

Where was you fishing mate? Or is that hush hush? (which is fair enough of course).

I am off the Hythe on monday, hoping for a late bass or an early codling, or anything at all to be honest, you have made my mind up to get some prawns, thats for sure!

Will :fishing1:

·
Registered
311 Posts
i would so love to catch a bass like that!!
Nice one mate.:sun:
me too trackie,even 5 lb.and i would say,wswan, that he caught it on the fishermans beach strtch,Hythe,read his old posts and done the sherlock,28% probability lol
tight uns

:fish:boy16

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
nice fish, nice fight, nice report, nice one triple 3!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies people.

The location is well...somewhere between Dover and Dungeness :secret: :lock: Its hardly a secret venue really - plenty of people fish there very often, but most make too much noise and have tilly lamps and LED headlights beaming out all over the place. I will give a hint though - someone fishing nearby that night with his mates had a very raucous laugh! Anyone who heard it will know what I mean!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Good report and congrats on ur PB...:fishing::fish:

Good to see the venue is still producing....:wiggle::wiggle:

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Quality bass. Great sized fish from the shore. Very well done mate. And being stealthy I think paid off. lights and stuff really do scare the bass off.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Wot a cracking looking fish, ...................

The reason ya actually went home after catching it was u were so excited............. mr wiggly in the trouser department had shown itself hadn't it??????????:eek:hmy:

Pukka fish, pukka report................fantastic, well done that man:clap2::clap2::clap2::thumbs:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts