World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrived at pevensey bay 4 o/c friday. LT just gone at 3.55. HT at 9.35pm. Not a cloud in the sky all day, but it was peeing like god knows what now. Waited in the car for a few minutes till it passed over. That was the last of the rain we saw apart from a few drops at the the end of the night. The wind was quite a strong westerly. My brother was already on the beach setting up. Plenty of bait between us. Fresh and frozen lug. Squid, crabs, limpits and cockles. 2 rods each. 1st rod for me 1 hook clip down 2/0 hook with squid and lug chucked at distance. The other 2 hook flapper 1/0 hooks with lug. Chucked various distances. My brother (1810barney) I think had same set ups using various baits combis.

Nothing for 1st 45 minutes then 1st bite on 2 hook flapper, reeled in and a small pout and small whiting to start the evening. 2 minutes later, brother has his 1st bite and lands 2 small whiting. Blanks are not an option 2nite. :yeah: 5 minutes later. Another good bite, felt heavier, reeled in and it was a another small whiting and a bass of about 12 oz. Been there an hour and 3 species. :clap2: Well that was the start of the whiting fest. Bite after bite. Ting after ting. :yawn: As it got dark the wind died down and it actually felt warmer than when the sun was out. I'd gone prepared for being cold but was sweating hot. Anyway the ting didnt stop coming, well for me anyway, my bro wasnt hooking up with as many for some reason even though we were using similar hook sizes. Any bait was getting them, even my squid and lug was getting them. Once they had demolished my squid I went onto plain lug. Only had a few squid so I wasnt wasting them on ting. The bites were steadt all night until about 1/2 hour before HT when they started slowing down. I went down to 1 rod coz my back was aching like mad.

Packed up just after HT. I ended up with 46 whiting, a bass and a pout. 6 whiting were keepers so that'll be my lunch today. My bro must've had over 20 in the end with a few keepers. Although its fun catching lots of fish, I do wish the ting would f**k off and let the other species get a look in. I'd rather 3 or 4 decent size fish than 100's of whiting.

Tight lines to all

Paul

·
Premium Member
28,885 Posts
Great post Paul and I feel your pain.....Try as I might I get absolutely zero pleasure from Ting, puts a huge dampener on winter fishing for me :sad2:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just had the whiting for lunch. Fried some onions in butter then some sliced tomatoes. Then the whiting fillets with salt and pepper and chilli flakes and a touch of lemon juice, fried for about 2 minutes, turned them over and fried for a further minute. With a slice of brown bread. Yummy. One good thing about catching ting. In fact the only good thing I can think off:thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great post Paul and I feel your pain.....Try as I might I get absolutely zero pleasure from Ting, puts a huge dampener on winter fishing for me :sad2:
Cheers Martyn. I enjoyed catching them last year as it was my 1st year fishing. But this year I'm already sick of 'em. It wouldn't be so bad if there were more of a decent size so we could keep them. Coz you can get a nice lunch out of them. Even the small ones sometimes give a cracking bite and you reel in thinking you've missed it only to find a 4 inch whiting on the end of your 3/0 hook which they've usually bloody swallowed.:nonono:

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
i know they are a nuisance but hey they keep you busy and fit !! two rods on the go can be crackers at times, we will all knowingly endure the pain as one session in amongst that shoal of ficking tings will be a ficking monster cod so it could be worth the pain - keep going, the only option is as previoulsy posted is to put a ting on the hook and wait and wait and wait, then get bored and go back out for more tings with worm - make your mind up time lol.
Steve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.