World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having not got out as much I'd have liked for a while, yesterday I agreed to meet up with Doctor Fish at Heysham, hoping for a few Whiting and Doggies. The plan was to fish low water and an hour or so of the incoming. At 12.38 I parked up at the Pepper Pots with Ian arriving two minutes later. The water was at the foot of the rock armor around the Pots, but within 20 minutes or so it had retreated far enough for us to start the walk out.

Ian had brought a couple of 200 gr leads for me to try as we were expecting a windy day, the leads were stumpy with long tails and flew straight and true...I'd also forgotten to put any leads in the tackle box, so I was more than grateful!

The bites were slow to come, for me anyway, and it was only after the tide had turned that I had my first hit. The top section shot forward, fell back and that was it, both hooks stripped! Meanwhile, Ian had landed five Doggies and a 1lb 10oz Plaice as we were packing up. We were using the same bait, Blow tipped with Squid although Ian tried a little Mackerel and I gave Razor Clam with Black Lug a go.

I'm still convinced it's down to my casting, I know even after wading out as far as is comfortably possible that I'm not hitting the Channel. I watched Ian Pendulum cast, such a lovely smooth motion and the lead was just flying out.

There was one quite strange moment...We were following the tide out and had moved our boxes forward, after going back for the rods, as we turned the sea had come back in and Ian's box was floating. Within the blink of an eye, it dropped back about 20 feet!

Heysham 6 10 2108.jpg

·
Registered
993 Posts
Glad it was only the box. Same thing happened to me once at Runswick Bay but about 50yds. Luckily I was facing the sea and young and fit enough to grab all my gear and run. Makes me more wary now. Always fish well back. Be safe. Nice report and like the photo.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad it was only the box. Same thing happened to me once at Runswick Bay but about 50yds. Luckily I was facing the sea and young and fit enough to grab all my gear and run. Makes me more wary now. Always fish well back. Be safe. Nice report and like the photo.
Definitely a beach you have to know ebo. The last part to drain is the area in Blue, which was our route across, likewise, it's also the first to fill so if you leave it too late the only way back is right up the beach to Half Moon Cafe. Some do park there and walk across, but it's a hell of a trek out.
My fist trip there I took two rods and a tripod, but with the number of times you're having to move all your gear [ and you have to be quick once the tide turns ] I decided a beach spike and one rod would make life a lot easier.
Waders are a big help too for a couple of reasons, you can walk a fare distance before the water is up to your butt, handy if like me you're not being able to cast 200 yards. But they really help getting through the mud. Thankfully it wasn't too bad on Saturday but on previous trips we've seen quite a few wellies left behind.

Heysham Map.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts