World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just a quick note to say thank you to all the people on the forums that have helped me in the past but alas I have decided to give up sea fishing. I must be one of the unluckiest ones around as 10 blanks in a row made me realise maybe it isnt what I need to be spending my hard earned cash on.
I have decided to sell all my gear (which has pretty much sold) and if I am ever going to fish again it will be on a charter boat where everything is supplied.
You guys have been amazing over the past 1.5 years-ish and I just wanted to leave a post saying so. This site is an absolute goldmine for knowledge and I have learnt a hell of a lot from it by simply reading catch reports and such. I even had the pleasure of meeting a couple of guys off the forums and spent a great nights fishing. Thanks Deano, at least I know how to bait up a pennel rig properly now :)
Keep up the good work guys, hopefully I will be posting boat reports sometime soon.
Until then take care all.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Sorry to hear that mate, but good luck with whatever you pursue.

G

·
TBH honest I dont blame you for giving up the shore fishing OvErLoDe. Although I still have beach gear I find it so frustrating. As someone who likes to eat what they catch I find boat fishing far more rewarding. As someone who started fishing at Dungeness in the late 60's when double figure fish from the beach were the norm, I can't relate to the fact that you may have to fish for years just to get one.
Good luck with the boat fishing and make sure you post some reports.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Hi all, just a quick note to say thank you to all the people on the forums that have helped me in the past but alas I have decided to give up sea fishing. I must be one of the unluckiest ones around as 10 blanks in a row made me realise maybe it isnt what I need to be spending my hard earned cash on.
I have decided to sell all my gear (which has pretty much sold) and if I am ever going to fish again it will be on a charter boat where everything is supplied.
You guys have been amazing over the past 1.5 years-ish and I just wanted to leave a post saying so. This site is an absolute goldmine for knowledge and I have learnt a hell of a lot from it by simply reading catch reports and such. I even had the pleasure of meeting a couple of guys off the forums and spent a great nights fishing. Thanks Deano, at least I know how to bait up a pennel rig properly now :)
Keep up the good work guys, hopefully I will be posting boat reports sometime soon.
Sorry to hear this. Ten blanks is a lot in a row and must of been very very frustrating.

If you ever fancy just giving going shore fishing in Somerset after you sell your gear PM me and you can borrow mine and I can show you what I know - it will have to be an easy access mark though. Just PM me if your interested.

As Cascars says he remembers the days when you could go out and get a double figure fish on a regular basis. My memory is'nt as good as Terry's but I to remember plenty of dounle figure Fish from the Shore. Now we seem to be lucky to get a single double figure fish a year. That's why Boat Angling is so tempting.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
yeah well sorry to hear that mate!
but thats fishing? perhaps you should take up pingpong
or gardening?
anyway good luck with watever you wana do
even if it is just cranking fish up out of
the depths that a skipper has put u over with a depth finder
and gps.
to me thats not angling, thats just going for a day on
a boat and reeling up fish! but heyho horses for courses
and all that! all that grrr grrr heeer she comes
no skill just grunt!
anyway good luck in your new career mate!
you never know you may get bored of it and come back
too true angling! we can hope anyway

joking aside! UP YOURS! hope you get sea sick, give it up! and get back on the beach/rocks soon
all me best
geffaz

·
Registered
355 Posts
It's a shame you feel the need to give it up, not many people blank more than me :cc_surren Infact, i'm currently planning another blanking session tomorrow :lmao: It can grind you down after a while but i just love being out along the coast, catching or not, it's better than a kick in the *******s. :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
I agree with livid, I'm on six blanks in a row at the moment, but it is really just an excuse to be there.

Best of luck in the future though.
Ady

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I think the guy tried hard enough judging by his posts in sw forum in the last year but like cascars said i don't blame you, don't envy anyone starting up these days and if it wasn't for WSF and a couple of other contacts i've made in the last year my catches would be well down. Good luck overlode whatever hobby you take up next.

·
Global Moderator
5,201 Posts
I think the guy tried hard enough judging by his posts in sw forum in the last year but like cascars said i don't blame you, don't envy anyone starting up these days and if it wasn't for WSF and a couple of other contacts i've made in the last year my catches would be well down. Good luck overlode whatever hobby you take up next.

And in there could lie the answer.........he has been trying TOO hard..

I know from personal experience,the harder I try and make things happen,(not only with the beach,but in my coarse match fishing),the worse I do.......

Take this last week......

I have been in caister on sea,and twice I have launched lead,and twice I blanked......

Got to a point where I was being too serious I think.......from now on,I am taking the view that if I catch,ok,if I don't,stuff it,there is always another day .........

It is a sad day when someone calls it a day,and wish you well in whatever you decide to do,but don't forget,if you change your mind,we will all still be here waiting to help........

Si.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Would have though there was some good fishing down that way. Come on local lads, take him out somewhere (I know one has offered).

·
Banned
44,186 Posts
Would have though there was some good fishing down that way. Come on local lads, take him out somewhere (I know one has offered).
Can be a very hit and miss area, some big fish are catchable but there are many a blank to be had as well. Although it's the closest area for me to fish, I rarely do so.

Anyway, best of luck with the charters and hope that you enjoy them.

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
I think some of us take for granted what we do. With only two blanks in the last two years, I've been fortunate, but sometimes it's easy to forget just how difficult shore fishing can be. Having said that, it can also be rewarding when you crack it. I've seen anglers put huge amounts of effort into trying to catch fish, but the hard work starts at home with a tide book and a weather forecast. Pick your date, pick your mark and your bait, and then just enjoy yourself. Fishing should be fun! :)

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
change counties..:marinheir....lol......turning to boat fishing will dissapoint you even more if you dont catch..FACT....its not just a case of dropping a bait down!!..

cascars ?,maybe your a crap shore fisherman?:whistling....lol...

G

·
change counties..:marinheir....lol......turning to boat fishing will dissapoint you even more if you dont catch..FACT....its not just a case of dropping a bait down!!..

I used to be very good at it in the days when brass paternosters were the usual choice of rig:wheelchai. After a 20 year break I find that not only has it got more like carp fishing with the choice of rigs etc but the fish have all but boogered off unless you are happy pulling in mini species.
I will stick to the boat fishing where it is rare to go home with nothing. Each to their own:yeah:

·
Registered
181 Posts

I agree Wilky but I would move to Cornwall if you want regular decent sized fish! No I am not bitter about me blanking in Devon the last 6 times so I travelled to Cornwall last Saturday had a shed load of Mackerel pollack Gurnard Doggies.

Before you give up PM me and I will guarentee you a fish, you have to travel mind you but if the fish wont come to me I now go to them!

As far as catching tiddlers from the shore (not you Wilky a Previous poster)...... Did you not see that 43 pound conger caught from the shore a few weeks ago , loads of double figure Bass/Pollack in Cornwall from several beaches. No Fishfinder required there and it is more of an art, but it can be so bloody frustrating if you dont know where/when what works best bait wise etc.

Give it another go mate and if your up for a trip PM me

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I used to be very good at it in the days when brass paternosters were the usual choice of rig:wheelchai. After a 20 year break I find that not only has it got more like carp fishing with the choice of rigs etc but the fish have all but boogered off unless you are happy pulling in mini species.
I will stick to the boat fishing where it is rare to go home with nothing. Each to their own:yeah:
only joking hence the smillie..:marinheir..

you can make shore fishing as complicated as you want,but i find keeping it simple works a treat.its knowing when and where with the right bait thats the key.just the same as boat fishing?..

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
John Holden writes a very good article in this months Sea Angler about the introduction of newbies to sea angling. Totally agree with his point of view. ;)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Don't give up. As the saying goes, if it was easy, it would be called catching. We all have times when we blank consistently, but we stick at it and go out the next time full of optimism, and come home empty handed but happy to have been out.
Maybe take up knitting, where the end product is in front of you all the time, and easy to get hold of.
Seriously though, stick at it and I'm sure the fish will come.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts