Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speech by Dr. Joe Borg
Member of the European Commission
Responsible for Fisheries and Maritime Affairs

http://europa.eu.int/comm/fisheries/news_corner/discours/speech62_en.htm

Heavy reading, but here is an extract:

"Our thinking on a European policy for the oceans and seas is still embryonic in some ways. I am looking forward to hearing from interested parties in this process as to what the proposed maritime policy should encompass. Yet, at this early stage, it is already clear that it should imply an overall, comprehensive strategy for maritime affairs. It will determine areas whereby efforts could be integrated and those areas where reinforced co-ordination might be called for. Above all, it will ensure close cooperation between the different decision-making levels: european, national and regional.

Fundamentally therefore, it will mean a new approach.

An approach that no longer looks at what humans can extract from the oceans and seas; nor one that looks at the oceans and seas on a purely sectoral basis; nor one that looks at the oceans and seas through a myopic, short term lens.

What we are proposing therefore is to look at what the oceans and seas can make available to us, over the long term, and in a manner that does not prejudice competing uses now or in the future. It is this integrated, sustainable ecosystem approach that is at the heart of any future maritime policy"

Interesting and encouraging.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Unfortunately,whatever approach is taken...the Spanish wont think it applies to them.
Terry F.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It is interesting that Dr Borg thinks Euopean policy on oceans and seas is still in its embryonic stage. By the time the baby is born, it will be too late.

Who was it said that politics and government is the art of practicing procrastination to the extreme. It must have been me.

Fred

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Here here Fred

Embryonic stage - ha!

There will be nothing left when the policy is a teenager - never mind matured.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps I am a natural optomist, but I genuinely thought the speech was positive.

Is the glass half full or half empty ?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Manx

I agree the thought is there, the problem is the process is so slow. Perhaps I should learn to be an optimist, but it is very difficult on this subject when we look at past performance of the maritime governments in the northern hemisphere.

I fear nothing will be done until there are few wild fish left to put on plates and the general public complain, creating an election issue in the countries concerned.

I must remember to renew my subscription to the Cynics Society.

Fred

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
The statement sounded extremely positive, however I think several of you have hit on the wording that the policy is in an "embryonic stage", & that before anything is done, Mr Borg will be on his way onwards & upwards in the E.U. hierarchy!
If you "trekies" cast your mind back to the series Star Trek the Next Generation, you will recall that the word "Borg" brought a whole "s***load" of trouble with it!
Listen carefully over the days between now & May 5th, & I am sure there will be several optimistic speeches made by Tone & the others, but will you believe them? Most of what they say will be rhetoric & electioneering "spin" & you will be taking it with a pinch of salt!
I think the comment that "It is only when there are no more fish left to go on the public's plate, that the problem will be recognised" is so close to being fact, that it sends a shiver down my spine!
blueskip

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fred said:
Manx

I fear nothing will be done until there are few wild fish left to put on plates and the general public complain, creating an election issue in the countries concerned.
By then it would be to late.

Fortunately we have a few very hard working individuals fighting our corner. I agree that progress is likely to be slow, but I do think that progress is likely, and has already started.

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
We can hope its not late. We need a stronger government with tougher laws so that the seas don't get abused by "so called" fishermen (Spanish).

Shaggy

·
Registered
303 Posts
maybe if governments were run as a business is run, instead of the eternel point scoring, backstabbing and blatant lying then these things could be done in a few weeks instead of years. it.s time we got rid of the history and got on with the future when I see things like pmq,s on the box I want to shake the bloody lot of them by the throat, and kick some serious a--e, another rant over

·
Registered
35 Posts
gusangus for P.M.

that would be nice a prime minister that can make wrecking booms!

keep my tax rebate just send me a years worth of terminal tackle

cheers RT HON gus

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
How wise we all are! Beat me to it Blueskip. Seriously lads, politicians don't spend their time scanning forums like ours or even trying to increase their species tally.

Reality is that the future of the sea, environmentally and economically was obvious years ago. All present research has evolved from that which was read (that's what academics do!) in the past.

We use the sea for recreation (just like those nice chaps on Jetskis!) but the real highly paid research is about maximising profit from the sea. The short-termers just rape and pillage whilst the long-termers do it more stealthily. Rubbish? It's been done before! Just look what world farming has done, and is still doing to the land and its Fauna and Flora. And now Farming equals Food Industry. What price Genetically engineered fish? Can you imagine ANY politician daring to battle such a hugely influential world lobby!

Yes I am a doom-and-gloom merchant burying my head in the sand with all the other powerless ones. Whilst we have a fishing Industry that still insist on HUNTING fish, the destruction will continue. It cannot be reversed in even the long term. Isn't rhetoric wonderful! Sorry lads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts