World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought i'd pass on something that happened to me last week whilst in Lowestoft on the East coast as it perfectly possible it could happen in our half of the country. I'd been scratching for tiny Pouts as live bait for Bass on the South pier and decided i'd do the same on the North beach (shingle and sand) the following day. So next tide went along to North Beach and decided to scratch for Pouts as bait. Tide about down with surf running and sure enough a little silver one first cast which I lifted out and slipped into my hand to unhook. Immediately realised not a pout but a Weever! Oops! Slight pricking sensation but quick reactions had it dropped on beach! Photographed. The small BLACK spined dorsal fin is obvious.
Had a look at this site:
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/weever2.htm
Take a look yourself, read and inwardly digest! Someone told me that the North beach does occasionally have shols of them so BEWARE! I had a very lucky escape or perhaps i'm just thick skinned! Serious effects are possible including death it seems (see above site) Please take more care than I did as August is a prime month for them.

Day not ruined despite sting (which did not develop!) as a little later pulled in a 4lb 2oz Bass which I returned to terrorize the small fish in the area and celebrated by having a great breaky 300yds from beach!!!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Thought i'd pass on something that happened to me last week whilst in Lowestoft on the East coast as it perfectly possible it could happen in our half of the country. I'd been scratching for tiny Pouts as live bait for Bass on the South pier and decided i'd do the same on the North beach (shingle and sand) the following day. So next tide went along to North Beach and decided to scratch for Pouts as bait. Tide about down with surf running and sure enough a little silver one first cast which I lifted out and slipped into my hand to unhook. Immediately realised not a pout but a Weever! Oops! Slight pricking sensation but quick reactions had it dropped on beach! Photographed. The small BLACK spined dorsal fin is obvious.
Had a look at this site:
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/weever2.htm
Take a look yourself, read and inwardly digest! Someone told me that the North beach does occasionally have shols of them so BEWARE! I had a very lucky escape or perhaps i'm just thick skinned! Serious effects are possible including death it seems (see above site) Please take more care than I did as August is a prime month for them.

Day not ruined despite sting (which did not develop!) as a little later pulled in a 4lb 2oz Bass which I returned to terrorize the small fish in the area and celebrated by having a great breaky 300yds from beach!!!
You must have exceedingly gnarly hands Swelley! Seriously though, its weever season- and there seem to be far more of the litle buggers than usual. If you are unfortunate to get get stung by one, try to get the affected appendage into some very HOT water (as hot as you can stand) ASAP. The venom is a protein, and the heat will damage (denature) it enough to render it harmless. But, if not, and you start to feel ill, get to A+E as soon as possible. I don't know of anyone who has been sensitised to weever venom, but don't take a chance. For those of you with children on holiday, its prudent to go to hospital, even if the hot water treatment appears to work....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Man,you were lucky!!!!!

I got nailed by the Lesser Weavers big brother,the Greater Weaver while fishing in Portugal 3 yrs ago.The pain was really bad,spreading up my arm from my little finger which got stung.The pain lasted about 6 or 7 hours and my finger swelled up quite badly. :cry:

Even now, 3 yrs on,my right little finger is still noticably bigger than my left and in the cold weather is completely numb down to my second knuckle....nerve damage.

Good excuse for some of the dodgey casting i do from time to time though :whistling

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I am allergic to them and got hit by one last year, mixed in with the sandeel, it was tiny, my fault.

Tip of my thumb, cut it open with my knife to make it bleed and in the absence of hot water gave it the good news with a Zippo. It did stop it dead, otherwise I would have been if I hadn't got to hossy in 20 or so, time was tight from where I was so I did a decent job with both knife and Zippo.

I had a strange triangular lump under the skin which came out when the scab from the burn fell off, take it that was the protein from the sting.

Funny thing was I was at the waters edge doing all this and all the blood was acting like rubby and attracting loads of prawns.

Worst thing I blanked and wife had to put a few stitches in when I got home, seems I went a bit deep with the knife, and she had to use Sofratule on the burn. :sad:

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
man of steel haaaa had one couple weks go at colwyn bay ,no lot people not fans of them but a fish is fish.shaggy

·
Registered
707 Posts
Nice Bass glynne bach, pleased for you mate, and yes, you're
thick skinned !!
:clap2::bleh:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Very lucky, as you say in summer always take a good look at what is on the hook before you grab it.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Funny enough !!! Not

One got me the other week, out on a boat, first and hopefully last time !!!!

I didn't have a bad reaction to it at the time, hand swelled up but I let it bleed out but I was lucky some do have very bad reactions to it ... Yikes Chris !!!!

I can still feel some ache now tho after all this time.

Like Swelly says beware there are a lot about, now.

And for the person who asked if Glynne's hands are gnarly ....

They are, I'm sure I've felt them round my throat once or twice :lmao:

·
Registered
580 Posts
its definatly weaver season, last week my 4 year old came back from paddling on the beach at shell island mumbling he had been bit by a crab and was crying a little, looking at the swelling i realised immediatly it was a weaver to which i treated with hot water, fortunatly 30 minutes later he was back to his norm. My 17 year old lad was laughing at him being a wimp, it was almost justice to see him limp back screaming in agony alot louder than his 4 year old brother. Once again hot water did the trick, thankfully no allergic reation occured which can be very nasty. I think the lesson has to be wear hard soled footwear when in the sea.

f

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad we've made the point about potential danger. I'm very lucky as I used to keep bees and their sting is also a 'strange' protein to the human body so the reaction in some individuals is swift and shocking - anaphalactic shock (spelling?) which results in swelling of wind pipes and death. The weever's sting is to ChrisP wha bee stings were to me. I made a video with my doctor who asked about symptoms and used the epic words, "Glad about that Glynne because the next are - collapse and death" Obviously this was worrying (!!) so took good care not to get stung!! Kids at schools I visited always asked if I got stung, to which I always replied "yes and then I died!!" Seriously though the Weever thing is the same - once warned take care and have the hot. very hot, water ready. I usually fish muddy, rocky plaes rather than sandy places so when scratching I tend not to hook Weevers, .... BUT I TELL you watch I shll be VERY CAREFUL about unhooking anything small and silvery from now on. (There's advice about dealing with them in one of Mike Thrussel's pages on WSF here I seem to remember????) The thought of being stung by the GREATER weever whilst a couple of miles out in a boat .........

Question: What's worse than a Weever sting?
Answer: Being stung by a weever when ChrisP and knife are near!!!
His account frightened the life out of me!

Regarding my episode and lack of pain, swelling etc. I was very quick (startled?) to feel a little ***** (yes , ok !!) and perhaps my reactions were fast as these days the skin on my hands is pink and lovely (its the soap I use!) Now when I was home, and rowing every day well I kept spare hooks stuck in the palms for safe keeping!!

Cheers Degs! I was totally made up I can tell you! Unfortuneately will be in London this wkend! Family again - butsee you soon I hope!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I have anaphylaxis to Bee, Wasp, Weaver, some antibiotics, local anaesthetics and all sea foods.

I carry an Epipen on the boat, in the car and at home, gives me an extra 5-10 min per jab. Belive me you don't want to use it, it means it has started, you do anything to stop it. I have had to stand well over an hour of open surgery, 70 stitches because I had already had too many general anaesthetics that year to be safe giving me another, wife got a buzz out of that one sewing me up, she loved it. Had to have my ear drums cut whilst awake without anaesthetic due to a fractured skull for a bilateral myringotomy , they then sewed tubes into the eardrum, if they burst due to infection I went deaf, some choice. You ever gone too far with a cotton bud. You want pain try that one. Worst was when they told me to turn over and I knew what was coming next.

You can get air in but you can't breath out, it seriously tests your bottle and I have none, it is terrifying when it starts, I get a bubble of skin under my eyes within a couple of min and know then it is just the start of the good news. On arrival at hossy they hit every vien still open with an IV, they hurt like a basstid despite what they say. Worse is the Tracheostomy Trolley ready at your side, they put a blade in your thoat and put a tube in so you can breath out. No local, they can't give it me don't forget probably ain't got the time anyway.

Been there, got the T shirt, wanna see the scars in my neck. It aint macho to me it is damage limitation. Easier to cut it and heat it, no Rambo here, been there too many times and absolutely panicked enough to see my sphyncter in technicolour, that the previous breath was my last. How hard is a plaster at the end of the day

Serious guys, you get a weaver hit you heat it, as much as you can stand, and then go another 10, if you can go another 5 after that all to the good. The more heat the less bad news you get especially if you are allergic and if you ain't been hit by one how do you know.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I think, like snakes, the weavers don't always invenomate you when they sting. I grabed a weaver once when I was digging out what I thought was a clam hole by hand. Nasty little puncture wound but no pain!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Super bass swelley, well done on avoiding the full sting, despite your nanette newman fairy hands!!! Joking aside, they hurt like the very bejebas, I got one in the foot while trying to unhook one and return it, thats what you get for being kind. 6 hours later and it was still throbbing and swollen but luckily I'm not sensitive to things like stings so carried on and if I remember correctly it was the weever saved the blank that day!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Swelly you have to be really lucky

Some years ago I was helping a young lad de-hook what I thought was a pouting which he caught off the rock at moulfre and I got a dose of what you avoided, returning home to Stockport the same day I had to go to Hospital at Warrington with a hand which looked like a rugby ball and very painful I spent many hours there being treated.
It is most unpleasant and is to be avoided at all costs.

itchyfeet

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
A bass a breakfast near the sea and a ***** in your hand ! Glynbach how they hell did you get into my fantasy world ?

LOL Good news on the bass ------------ well on the weaver as well by the sounds of it. Loads around Barmouth, SHell Island etc and for the first time I have actually seen warning signs which is encouraging. I would NEVER walk a beach without footwear and unhook using neoprolene gloves, protecting fishes scales with the added bonus of protecting me if I swing to hand one of the little critters. :fishing:

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow Chris it's a wonder we still have you with us! Lets hope you manage to stay fishing and healthy.
Another set of instructions from Mike Thrussel:
http://www.worldseafishing.com/tips/weeverstings.html

Very practical, though covers fok who do not have the extreme reaction that Chris has described. Thankfully these are few and far between though, of course, you don't find out how allergic you are UNTIL you come into contact with the venom!

After all the cautionary tales in this thread BE CAREFUL and remember don't have nightmares, its not every day you grasp a Weever! My wife rekons the fish that tried to get me realised that it was doomed if it absorbed any of my blood - it would spend its life boring fishes to death!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
as a surfer and angler i had lots of weaver experience ha, lets stop scaring people, they aint that bad, in fact you got as much chance of being killed by a falling plane engine or bee sting as a weaver. if you do get stung get moving on the foot that was hit, it breaks the toxin up and speeds up the recovery time, i find running up and down the beach for a few minutes does the trick. as for kids spoiling our angling come on get a life, kids are stuck in school all year so i think its great to see them on the beach and having fun rather than getting up to no good. so what if they blow you fishing session. weavers what will we be worrying about next?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts