World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just wondering when casting with a running ledger set up you can get the weight right up by the rod tip (well i did today, never used a running ledger before so hope i did it right :) ) how far should i let the weight hang when casting so i can cast maximum distance? i.e should i have the weight right up by the rod tip or hanging down a few inches?

also do you lot think the quality of a fixed spool reel makes a differance to how far it can cast? i used my new reel today and it is a much much higher spec then my old one, i felt i was casting further and more acuratly, it may be worth mentioning i swapped from 15 pound main line to 25! not sure if the increased proformance was due to the new reel, line or me putting in a little more thought and effort into what i was doing or just having a little more confidence in my set up?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Not sure how to answer all this but here goes. why do you want the lead near the rod tip? I have my lead near the first ring. Yes a better reel will cast further.Due to better line lay. But thicker line should reduce casting distance as the thinner the line (hence to use of braid), the less resitance in the rod rings. Your confidence it the setup will have helped. what casting distance are you getting at the moment?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure how to answer all this but here goes. why do you want the lead near the rod tip? I have my lead near the first ring. Yes a better reel will cast further.Due to better line lay. But thicker line should reduce casting distance as the thinner the line (hence to use of braid), the less resitance in the rod rings. Your confidence it the setup will have helped. what casting distance are you getting at the moment?
its not that i want the weight up high, just that i was wondering if it casts better from high up the the end ring or hanging a bit lower so it swings a bit more.

problem i still have is i still am using a cheap masterline beachcaster that i brought for £30 with a reel, the reel i just brought is a Shakespear Salt Surf 060, 11 bearings, 4.9-1 gear ratio quite nice, only fault i can see so far is it is a little smaller then i would like.

i know this sounds bad but i dont know how far i am casting, could only take an uneducated guess at 110-120 metres, but this reall is a guess, could be more or less. today my worst cast was as good as my best cast normally is.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Enjoy it as just one off those things. The effect that the drop to the lead has, is as follows a short drop (dont go below 4ft) makes the rod feel stiffer and a long drop makes the rod feel softer. Just play around with it until you find a drop that you are happy with.

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
What kind of ground do you mostly fish over? If you drop the line to,say, 18lbs, that WILL give you an increase in distance. The spool capacity will be higher, therefore the line level will stay nearer the spool lip, thus creating less drag as the coils come off. That is the main reason for an increase in distance, not IMO the resistance against the rings.

·
Registered
732 Posts
granted OHTer but I have found when I put a f/s reel on a multi rod same make and type rod the distance was down about 20yrds. So both have an effect

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
granted OHTer but I have found when I put a f/s reel on a multi rod same make and type rod the distance was down about 20yrds. So both have an effect
True I guess (long time since I used F/S reels alot, lol.)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Just checking, you are using a shock leader, aren't you?

As far as the "drop"is concerned - the distance the lead hangs below the rod top when you cast, the physics of casting is highly complex, but in essence, the distance you cast is a product of the arc described by the lead as you bring the rod over. There are limiting factors, of course. If the drop is too long and the arc too great, the cast becomes impossible. But in general you need to start with a drop of around 3-4 feet and increase till you reach the optimum length. Casting with the lead hard against the top of the rod will result in a cast that lands just in front of you.

And by the way, as I know from hard experience, 110 metres is an awful lot further than most people think.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Dont normally use f/s myself but my multi jammed and the lad had a spare f/s in his bag hence the f/s on a multi rod LOL

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just checking, you are using a shock leader, aren't you?

As far as the "drop"is concerned - the distance the lead hangs below the rod top when you cast, the physics of casting is highly complex, but in essence, the distance you cast is a product of the arc described by the lead as you bring the rod over. There are limiting factors, of course. If the drop is too long and the arc too great, the cast becomes impossible. But in general you need to start with a drop of around 3-4 feet and increase till you reach the optimum length. Casting with the lead hard against the top of the rod will result in a cast that lands just in front of you.

And by the way, as I know from hard experience, 110 metres is an awful lot further than most people think.
good reply, yeah like i said no real idea on distance, just guessing. i will experement with the lenth of the drop, may go out tommorow for a little while or even head over to the field for some casting practice.

no i don't use a shock leader, i have tried but don't know how to tie it, i normally use a 3oz gripper and I have just started to use a 25lb main
line, from what i have read 10lb of line per ounce of lead is correct isn't it? so i am only slightly off.

·
Registered
736 Posts
110 metres is a pretty serious distance actually dude. That's probably (roughly) 115 yards. Not bad going, although if you're worried about casting distance at all, I'd suggest you've probably got your distances slightly misguided, i.e. if you're worried about it not going very far yet you claim 110 metres, your measuring is out 'cause you should be pretty happy with that distance if accurate.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Please please please....get someone to teach you how to tie a shockleader knot and use some!!

You can't imagine the damage a snapped off lead could do to person next to you or someone further down the beach

no matter if you are only using 3oz leads....eventually you'll want to use 5 or 6oz leads so learn to use the shockleader now

Matt

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
the longer the drop the slower the cast, the more time u get to position ur arms to get it right, near the tip is asking for trouble.......mangle worzel u may get away with it, multiplier no, too snatchy n birdy city

Lengthen ya drop, turn slow n then hit it, put yards on ya cast

Good luck

·
Registered
736 Posts
good reply, yeah like i said no real idea on distance, just guessing. i will experement with the lenth of the drop, may go out tommorow for a little while or even head over to the field for some casting practice.

no i don't use a shock leader, i have tried but don't know how to tie it, i normally use a 3oz gripper and I have just started to use a 25lb main
line, from what i have read 10lb of line per ounce of lead is correct isn't it? so i am only slightly off.

Get it sorted dude! Get yourself down to 15-18lb line (assuming you're regular fishing not after anything too monster) but use a decent lead (5 oz is like an industry standard) and get yourself a decent shock leader (5lb lead = 50-60lb Shock leader).

The smaller diameter and weight of the line will mean it'll flow more freely from the reel and in the air and the shock leader means you can absolutely let rip without fear of breakage. Also the smaller line will hold bottom better and have less drag from the tide.

Check out some vids on youtube and see what other people use. Other than that it's up to you.

For me when OHTing I'll have a 4-6 foot drop but for OTG I tend to have a little more, around 5-7 feet. That's me though. I'm probably cooler than most other people. (Ha ha ha, can you see me peeing myself with laughter as I type that??).

Good luck mofo.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Please please please....get someone to teach you how to tie a shockleader knot and use some!!

You can't imagine the damage a snapped off lead could do to person next to you or someone further down the beach

no matter if you are only using 3oz leads....eventually you'll want to use 5 or 6oz leads so learn to use the shockleader now

Matt
AND that too, unless ya wanna get sued !!!!!!

most important, shock leader!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cant be stated enough

·
Registered
728 Posts
30 - 40 years ago, we didn't bother about leaders. But modern rods, even cheap modern rods, are capable of storing and releasing so much energy when cast that there is a real risk that if you make the slightest mistake, your line could snap and your 3 oz lead could go flying off almost anywhere. That is a safety risk that is just not worth taking, especially if you are still learning to cast. As others have said, sooner or later you will want/need to use bigger leads and the risk is multiplied many times over. So get someone to show you how to tie a leader. There are simple knots that do the job. In fact learning to tie knots is one of the most basic introductions to sea fishing.

Comes back to the point I've seen raised many times before, what we need is an angling buddy system. It would save newcomers from suffering a lot of frustration, and make life safer for everyone else on the beach.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah this has come up on another thread and i am being bomarded with "GET A SHOCKLEADER!" type comments lol. so i guess i need a shockleader! i have been fishing for about a year but only with mate who has even less of a clue then me (a lot less if i told you what he does you would never stop laughing) so the only way i have learnt things is on this website or by watching other people (which freaks them out lol)
i suppose with the winter coming up and the rough seas it brings with it i will need larger weights and the need for a leader will be even more.
cheers for you advice guys, i'm going to look on ebay for some now :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
To be fair I when i learned to cast I just experimented and when I put a shockleader on I save a lot of money on lost leads :laugh:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts