World Sea Fishing Forums banner

A couple of firsts for '07

395 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  sheff82 
#1 ·
I was supposed to be playing golf all weekend this weekend so I planned during the week to get my weekly fishing fix on Friday night. I was going to bunk off work early (about 2.30ish) so I could get to the tackle shop in plenty of time to get bait etc. I was all set to go when the boss turns up :uhuh: . Pants! I hang around busting to get going getting more annoyed by the minute as he prattled on. At about 3 he goes off to another building to get something, my supervisor looks at me "RUN, i'll cover for you!". Awesome, I'm out of the car park quick as a flash! I'm on my way but not for long. Friday traffic, what a nightmare!

After 1.5 hours stuck in jams I am raging, shouting at people, smoking too much (I'm awful when I'm stuck for no apparent reason) I reach the tackle shop with time to spare but there's no where to park. Stuuf it, i think, I'll park on the double yellows, I'll only be a couple of minutes. Picked up my bait etc, and I'm beginning to calm down. I walk out to my car to find a traffic warden stood next to it, ticket machine in hand. He looks at me, I stare back, daring him to move his hand to write the ticket. His hand quivers and still I stare. He shifts uneasily from one foot to the other while I just stare, searching to see if he has any soul. "Are you just leaving?" (he's cracked!) "yes" says I, " Go on then mate"! Brilliant!!!! :clap2:

After that I picked up my mate, went home, got changed, gobbled down a massive plate of sausage and mash and we were on our way. The plan was to fish Babbacombe pier as somewhere where you don't have to walk far but it was packed with anglers fishing a doggie competition. Of we go to a new rock mark I've discovered which was a bit more of a walk to say the least. My mate set up to target doggies and huss, he had a bite every cast, resulting in 9 dogfish, the biggest going to 1lb 12oz, a new PB for my mate :clap3: . This one had its gob stuffed full of queen cockles, how it found room for a mackerel and sandeel cocktail I don't know. I set up to see what else was about using whole squid on one rod and rag on my other. The squid got me a few bites but no fish while the ragworm produced 3 dogfish, one of which went mental. The bite it gave almost pulled my rod into the sea, it fought like a maniac running one way, then back and then into a snag! I managed to pull it free and it came up to the surface and thrashing about all over the shop. Until it was at my feet I was convinced I'd caught a small smoothound! Overall it was worth the stress but it was needless stress as the golf was subsequently cancelled, the other lot couldn't raise a team!

As for the firsts for '07, well its the first time this year that I've caught fish in successive sessions and the first time I've caught more than one fish in a session (I know, I'm not very good!) but hopefully its a sign of things getting a bit better!

See less See more
#4 ·
Sheff82

Well done on the fish and especially evading the traffic warden. Tip for all if parked in illegal place make sure u have 7 yr daughter with you tell her to turn the waterworks on !!?? Works for me.

Woodster

#6 ·
Well he can't have been afraid of me because of my size, I'm only 5' 7" and built like a slightly overweight mini-greenhouse! It must have been the look I gave him which basically said "Write that ticket and I'll gauge your eyes out with the new 3/0 hooks I've just purchased"!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.