World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A wrap or two of electrical tape not tighten it up
That sounds like a good idea, thanks.
When I was a teenager in the 70's I sometimes had a rod that was difficult to take apart after a trip.
So I rubbed a candle round the male part of the joints. Thinking it would come apart more easily.
How wrong was I, ended cycling home carrying the complete 12 foot rod. DOH 🤔

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Does anyone know of any DIY fix for loose rod joints at all?
That will depend on what type of rod joint it is.

In the days when 'put-over' joints were more common, the usual fix was to take a very fine hacksaw and remove about half an inch of the female section, then over-whip about an inch with strong terelene or nylon whipping thread the same colour as the rod whippings and coat with cellulose varnish, hi-coat or similar.

Put-in joints are more difficult although modern rods usually have a considerably extended male 'ferrule' section to allow for wear, so it isn't usually much of a problem

I hope that helps

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

In the days when 'put-over' joints were more common, the usual fix was to take a very fine hacksaw and remove about half an inch of the female section, then over-whip about an inch with strong terelene or nylon whipping thread the same colour as the rod whippings and coat with cellulose varnish, hi-coat or similar.

Put-in joints are more difficult although modern rods usually have a considerably extended male 'ferrule' section to allow for wear, so it isn't usually much of a problem

I hope that helps
Thanks, that's another good idea.

·
Registered
24 Posts

In the days when 'put-over' joints were more common, the usual fix was to take a very fine hacksaw and remove about half an inch of the female section, then over-whip with strong terelene or nylon whipping thread the same colour as the rod dressing and coat with cellulose varnish.

I hope that helps
If you need to lubricate a joint before use, rub the said male part up the side of the nose. Always some very fine oil comes for there. Try it ,I have been doing this for years, My fathers tip from way back when . Not inside the outside.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I had the same problem on my Zipplex, but the spigot was worn to the point both parts of the rod touched wouldn't say loose so you may be explaining something different. I rang my local rod builder and asked about the rod graphite spray, he said it dont last long but super glue does. So I got super glue that has the brush and put a light coat. lightly sanded it, and added another coat. After a few layers my spigot joint now has about 2" of life in it. Make sure its totally dry, leave it for a few days otherwise it will get stuck. Of course, do this at your own risk.

Dan

·
Registered
191 Posts
Does anyone know of any DIY fix for loose rod joints at all?
Try rubbing a candle over the male joint, will build a fine layer of wax that may fix the issue, otherwise its cutting job, shouldn't need much but reinforcing the female side would be essential. Trty and find someone who repairs rods for advice.
Tony

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Try rubbing a candle over the male joint, will build a fine layer of wax that may fix the issue, otherwise its cutting job, shouldn't need much but reinforcing the female side would be essential. Trty and find someone who repairs rods for advice.
Tony
Yes, the cut and overwhip method that I described near the beginning of this thread is the best and really, the only permanent fix.

That's because it does not deposit any 'foreign body' or other material in the inside of the female joint that might result in a permanent jam and ultimately, a ruined rod. I've done many myself over the years, but am no expert.

If I were you I'd contact Cain's Custom Rods, I'm sure he'll advise you of the best way to go about it if you still need professional advice. Go to: Cains Custom Rod Building

1 - 15 of 15 Posts