World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today from Hartlepool the old man and i caught a fair number of dabs. There was a large variety of colours amongst them from light brown to dark green in colour.
Some fish did not look like a typical dab and had features more resembling a flounder or plaice, however they had rough skin. After talking with a few other anglers we decided to post a few picture on WSF and see what suggestions others came up with.

This is what i believe to be a 'normal' dab.

This fish is a much darker colour, but i believe this one is also a dab. Although one angler commented it looked more like a flounder due to its colour and shape, however it was rough to the touch.

And this one also is very darkly coloured compared to other dab and almost flounder like in colour.

This fish was the one in question, there were a couple more like this aswell. More slender in shape than the dab i usually catch, with a different shaped lateral line and different shape tail. It has larger eyes than other dab i have caught to and it was a very dark, almost green mottled colour with markings also on its under belly, unlike most dab which are white.

Am i right in thinking that these fish are all dab? If anyone can shed anylight on the situation it would help, it has stumped me and a few other northeast anglers today. All fish were returned quickly, and unharmed you will be glad to know. Note the use of a disgorger to remove smaller hooks between sizes 2 and 8 which is a great idea, they cost only 25p in coarse fishing tackle shops.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I can't find my identification book but from memory dab have a distinct shape to their lateral line. I have seen a flounder with the same sort of shape - it would have been one hell of a dab. Some one said they interbreed but I find that hard to believe more likely that flounders vary. Both suffer a high degree of cancer due to pollution. Survey show it to be at least 14% of all fish even way out to sea.

John

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Today from Hartlepool the old man and i caught a fair number of dabs. There was a large variety of colours amongst them from light brown to dark green in colour.
Some fish did not look like a typical dab and had features more resembling a flounder or plaice, however they had rough skin. After talking with a few other anglers we decided to post a few picture on WSF and see what suggestions others came up with.

This is what i believe to be a 'normal' dab.

This fish is a much darker colour, but i believe this one is also a dab. Although one angler commented it looked more like a flounder due to its colour and shape, however it was rough to the touch.

And this one also is very darkly coloured compared to other dab and almost flounder like in colour.

This fish was the one in question, there were a couple more like this aswell. More slender in shape than the dab i usually catch, with a different shaped lateral line and different shape tail. It has larger eyes than other dab i have caught to and it was a very dark, almost green mottled colour with markings also on its under belly, unlike most dab which are white.

Am i right in thinking that these fish are all dab? If anyone can shed anylight on the situation it would help, it has stumped me and a few other northeast anglers today. All fish were returned quickly, and unharmed you will be glad to know. Note the use of a disgorger to remove smaller hooks between sizes 2 and 8 which is a great idea, they cost only 25p in coarse fishing tackle shops.
Hi mate all lok like dabs to me but if you what to have look at hem go to http://web.uk online.co.uk/aquarium/index.htm\\ethos have a look yourself tight lines

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
here's a pic of both .................dont no if it helps but the lateral lines are different on a flounder with small lumps either side of it close to the head

flounder

dab

tightlines............................daz

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bottom one i thought was a dab as it felt rough. What made me think was that another lad and my old man said ''is that a flounder there?'' when i was unhooking it. I do not know if flatties can cross bread, i know carp can so that is a possiblity??? We need the opinion of a marine biologist here.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
comparing it closely i would say its a dab .

just going off the fin pattern and head shape

tightlines.............................daz

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I don't think that you can rely on feel but the different hump on the dab sounds right to me. Given the pollution these fish suffer from especially inshore I wouldn't be at all surprised if some are mutants maybe even glowing in the dark. Sad as dab is one of the best eating fish I know of if fresh. Shouldn't be a problem providing one doesn't eat a couple a day.

John

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats what i did and how i came up with the conclusion they were all dab. What i really want to know now is can flatties crossbread?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Easy way to tell a dab - look at the underside of it and the skin will almost be see through whereas on a flounder or plaice it will be obviously white.

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
Easy way to tell a dab - look at the underside of it and the skin will almost be see through whereas on a flounder or plaice it will be obviously white.

not the most conclusive method ! what if you don't know whether its a flounder or plaice ? i've had small flatties that are all thin and translucent !

as HA said, run your finger from tail to head,

dab... rough all over,
flounder, smooth with a rough lateral line,
plaice, smooth all over,

these three things never change, shape, colour, spots, etc, all do from my experience.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Turbot and brill can hybridise; but although they turn up at the same spawning grounds at the same time - it has only been achieved or occured in lab conditions - never heard of a wild hybrid.

SS

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
Thats what i did and how i came up with the conclusion they were all dab. What i really want to know now is can flatties crossbread?
I emailed Dr mike ladle with the same question and ( like ss said) he said it'd been achieved under lab conditions, but it proved it was possible. Whether flounder/dab/plaice spawn at the same time/place is another matter:g:

Both fish are plaice but the fish in the bottom of the pictures does resemble a flounder in appearance...hybrid??:g: Who knows.....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts