World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was supposed to get out Saturday night for a session, but with the forecast looking good for Sunday and the kids eager for a day at the beach......I decided to trade my night of 'sole searching' in for a day amongst the sunbathers, wasp squadrons and fat birds wearing skintight leggings!! :doh:

We arrived at Hayling an hour or so before low tide and I was pleased to find enough room to deploy rods at a favourite little spot of mine (not far from Sandy point), I've had some good days on the bream there in the past and felt we would have as good a chance there as anywhere.

I got set up to fish, while the wife prepared to baste herself in the sun and the kids raced around generally having a blast and doing what kids do. I wasn't really expecting much until late afternoon so although the kids were keen to have a fish.....I put them off until later, when I felt they would have a better chance.

There was a chap fishing to my right and just after I got myself sorted, I noticed some excitement from his direction and he pulled into something which clearly had a bit of weight to it. I wandered over and was rewarded with a truly amazing sight........ a species of fish that I have never even seen before, let alone caught. A stunning John Dory of about 1 1/2lb!!! Awesome to see. :1a:

I had deliberately left the feathers at home to avoid the temptation of using them and deliberately only brought ragworm along, cos I wanted the kids to have a good chance with the small stuff. The John Dory was caught on mackerel baited feathers!! Doh!! :doh:

I wandered back to my rods, to find one of them tapping away and immediately thought the bream were playing.....not so....the bite produced the tiniest starry smoothhound that I have ever seen (the stars were the size of pinheads!). Not something to get Chief Brodie ringing the alarm bells, you would think.....but by the time the kids had transferred the story of 'the man that just caught a shark' a few groynes down the beach, some were looking a tad apprehensive about going back into the water....priceless!! :roll1:

Little happened for a long while after that, lunch, ice creams and a couple of cold ones were consumed, the wife was well on the way to sunstroke :sun: .....and it was about 5.00pm before the rod tips registered any further interest; this time a baby black bream that probably goes to the same nursery as the aforementioned houndette!!

An hour later and a cracking rattle resulted in a lovely black bream of just over a pound and heavy hearted, I was encouraged to pack up at about 6.00pm, just as the fishing was going to pick up!! :cry:

Still, a lovely day out, great to see that JD and I got to spend the rest of the evening giving the wife no sympathy at all, over her self imposed soreness!!

I have a couple of piccys....will add them later.

G

·
hi andy,
nice to see you got out!,i had a JD the other day!,it was very
nice......:drunk::drunk::laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi andy,
nice to see you got out!,i had a JD the other day!,it was very
nice......:drunk::drunk::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I doubt it was 'just the one Mrs Wembley' and I am pretty sure it wasn't a fishy one!! (More made from the good grain at a guess! lol).

I just wish you had seen the merit in my captures of tadpoles!! Oh and a lunch size bream.....while entertaining the whole family, feeding them, treating them to chips, drinks and ice creams etc, etc :crazy:

You are a hard man to please!! :roll1:

G

·
I doubt it was 'just the one Mrs Wembley' and I am pretty sure it wasn't a fishy one!! (More made from the good grain at a guess! lol).

I just wish you had seen the merit in my captures of tadpoles!! Oh and a lunch size bream.....while entertaining the whole family, feeding them, treating them to chips, drinks and ice creams etc, etc :crazy:

You are a hard man to please!! :roll1:
hard man to please??? ware have i herd that before? oh yes my wife
said it to me the other night!!!!after i had the JD'S:clap2::thumbs::clap2:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I was supposed to get out Saturday night for a session, but with the forecast looking good for Sunday and the kids eager for a day at the beach......I decided to trade my night of 'sole searching' in for a day amongst the sunbathers, wasp squadrons and fat birds wearing skintight leggings!! :doh:

We arrived at Hayling an hour or so before low tide and I was pleased to find enough room to deploy rods at a favourite little spot of mine (not far from Sandy point), I've had some good days on the bream there in the past and felt we would have as good a chance there as anywhere.

I got set up to fish, while the wife prepared to baste herself in the sun and the kids raced around generally having a blast and doing what kids do. I wasn't really expecting much until late afternoon so although the kids were keen to have a fish.....I put them off until later, when I felt they would have a better chance.

There was a chap fishing to my right and just after I got myself sorted, I noticed some excitement from his direction and he pulled into something which clearly had a bit of weight to it. I wandered over and was rewarded with a truly amazing sight........ a species of fish that I have never even seen before, let alone caught. A stunning John Dory of about 1 1/2lb!!! Awesome to see. :1a:

I had deliberately left the feathers at home to avoid the temptation of using them and deliberately only brought ragworm along, cos I wanted the kids to have a good chance with the small stuff. The John Dory was caught on mackerel baited feathers!! Doh!! :doh:

I wandered back to my rods, to find one of them tapping away and immediately thought the bream were playing.....not so....the bite produced the tiniest starry smoothhound that I have ever seen (the stars were the size of pinheads!). Not something to get Chief Brodie ringing the alarm bells, you would think.....but by the time the kids had transferred the story of 'the man that just caught a shark' a few groynes down the beach, some were looking a tad apprehensive about going back into the water....priceless!! :roll1:

Little happened for a long while after that, lunch, ice creams and a couple of cold ones were consumed, the wife was well on the way to sunstroke :sun: .....and it was about 5.00pm before the rod tips registered any further interest; this time a baby black bream that probably goes to the same nursery as the aforementioned houndette!!

An hour later and a cracking rattle resulted in a lovely black bream of just over a pound and heavy hearted, I was encouraged to pack up at about 6.00pm, just as the fishing was going to pick up!! :cry:

Still, a lovely day out, great to see that JD and I got to spend the rest of the evening giving the wife no sympathy at all, over her self imposed soreness!!

I have a couple of piccys....will add them later.
Good report Andy :fishing::fishing::fishing:

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
NIce fishing Andy. You have achieved the impossible, mixing family with fishing and completed the session having enjoyed it!!

Would have loved to have caught the John Dory. DId he take it or release it?

·
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NIce fishing Andy. You have achieved the impossible, mixing family with fishing and completed the session having enjoyed it!!

Would have loved to have caught the John Dory. DId he take it or release it?
He released it mate.........he was so keen to get it back in the water, that he wasn't even prepared to keep it out long enough for me to leg it, grab my camera and get a picture. I was a bit gutted not to get that picture and I think I was more excited by his capture than he was.....but fair play to him, you just can't argue with his fish care.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts