World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in two minds whether to post this, but after reading Pelamids report of Dolphins at Fifeness I'll tell you our story.

We had a good afternoons fishing on the ebb. Fish came regularly. Nothing big, Cod to 4-5lb and some nice Pollack. We only fished one spot during the session from 4 till 7pm, we were into fish as soon as we stopped the motor. The boat was not drifting far with the wind against the tide and we stayed over the mark nicely. David my older son got a small cod first drop and then what I thought was a Seal popped up about 50 yds away. That's the fishing goosed I thought.......... Then I saw the fin just briefly as it head and tailed and also heard the air being sucked in through the blow hole. Brilliant! We carried on fishing and the next thing it's coming closer to the boat and circling us. Never showing itself properly - just circling and rolling on the surface showing it's blow hole and dorsal fin and sucking in air with a big whoosh sound... like a tyre going down. It didn't put the fish off as we all had fish while watching for where it would surface next. It stayed with us for over an hour sometimes close up sometimes further away. I tried to get it on camera but it was impossible to anticipate where it would surface next.

Some pics below of our fish - most returned to hopefully fight another day. Great fun.

Seeing the Dolphin though round the boat and the fabulous sunset over the Forth that we saw on the way home really made our day. :laugh:

Dave.:)

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Our day off Crail was a bit of fun anyway.

This year the Dunbar fishing seems to be back like the"good old days". Strange that south of the Forth is so much better than just a few miles to the north. Very similar ground as well.

Looks like you all had a load of fun actually catching fish. I will be back down there as soon as I have those engine parts.

Thanks for your report Dave.:cry:

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I was in two minds whether to post this, but after reading Pelamids report of Dolphins at Fifeness I'll tell you our story.

We had a good afternoons fishing on the ebb. Fish came regularly. Nothing big, Cod to 4-5lb and some nice Pollack. We only fished one spot during the session from 4 till 7pm, we were into fish as soon as we stopped the motor. The boat was not drifting far with the wind against the tide and we stayed over the mark nicely. David my older son got a small cod first drop and then what I thought was a Seal popped up about 50 yds away. That's the fishing goosed I thought.......... Then I saw the fin just briefly as it head and tailed and also heard the air being sucked in through the blow hole. Brilliant! We carried on fishing and the next thing it's coming closer to the boat and circling us. Never showing itself properly - just circling and rolling on the surface showing it's blow hole and dorsal fin and sucking in air with a big whoosh sound... like a tyre going down. It didn't put the fish off as we all had fish while watching for where it would surface next. It stayed with us for over an hour sometimes close up sometimes further away. I tried to get it on camera but it was impossible to anticipate where it would surface next.

Some pics below of our fish - most returned to hopefully fight another day. Great fun.

Seeing the Dolphin though round the boat and the fabulous sunset over the Forth that we saw on the way home really made our day. :laugh:

Dave.:)

nice steady sport there mate! i've had similar probs trying to photograph the dolphins,my samsung tocco takes great still pics but way too slow for the action pics! i'm gonna take my olympus along this weekend just incase!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our day off Crail was a bit of fun anyway.

This year the Dunbar fishing seems to be back like the"good old days". Strange that south of the Forth is so much better than just a few miles to the north. Very similar ground as well.

Looks like you all had a load of fun actually catching fish. I will be back down there as soon as I have those engine parts.

Thanks for your report Dave.:cry:
I should have said that report was for Thursday. Big swell came up later with the wind getting up towards the evening. David was sick. Runs in the family........ I find that chop and swell at Dunbar hard going at times. Especially as I'm the chief re-rigger and the only one who seems to be able to tie a knot.....

Those pot ropes are treacherous! Very few pots about yesterday thankfully. We were surrounded by them last trip on the same mark. I doubt those spacer parts will be too expensive. There is props on ebay just now for £40.00 for your motor.

I was speaking to a chap with a Warrior that had done well down off Siccar Point too.

Dave.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Those pot ropes are treacherous! Very few pots about yesterday. I doubt those spacer parts will be too expensive. There is props on ebay just now for £40.00 for your motor.
Dave.
I have a spare prop - bought from the same place you suggested.

On closer inspection I found the prop hub had corroded from the inside out. It got to the point where pressure from the castellated nut collapsed it.

The rubber shock ring had slipped as well - not sure which part of the prop gave up first. Without the support of the prop casting another washer/spacer had fractured as well.

If you think Dunbar is bad for pots - you just ain't seen nuffin!:doh:
Every Crail holiday home visitor with a punt is sticking down pots with white plastic containers as markers. You try spotting a white bottle against the reflections off the water.

They even have them on the "leading-lights" approach to the harbour:crazy:

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
If you think Dunbar is bad for pots - you just ain't seen nuffin!:doh:
Every Crail holiday home visitor with a punt is sticking down pots with white plastic containers as markers. You try spotting a white bottle against the reflections off the water.

They even have them on the "leading-lights" approach to the harbour:crazy:
Hi Steve...Two weeks ago, I was at Crinan for the lengthy time of two hours...:(...anyway, on the way out, to the right of the "harbour" there were lots of creel pots and to the left,a little less, there was a pair about 50-60yds apart, so steamed right through the middle of them, as you do......after a few yards...the boat seemed to slow down, tho, no loss in revs...my crew member Barry, shouted for me to stop...I looked round, and there was two creels following me!!! VERY luckily, the skeg had caught them, and not the prop.....On closer inspection, the bouy connecting rope was floating on the top of the water!!!! and attached to one of them, was a length of rope maybe 20 yds long, which looked like it had been cut by a Rope Cutter!!!

If it wasnt for my crew member who stopped me,.. I was cutting all those ropes...we looked at some of the others...and some were the same, connected by floating rope on the surface!!! :(:(

Heres a pic of the two that got caught on the skeg! the one on the right, had the cut rope attached to it..

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hi Steve...Two weeks ago, I was at Crinan for the lengthy time of two hours...:(...anyway, on the way out, to the right of the "harbour" there were lots of creel pots and to the left,a little less, there was a pair about 50-60yds apart, so steamed right through the middle of them, as you do......after a few yards...the boat seemed to slow down, tho, no loss in revs...my crew member Barry, shouted for me to stop...I looked round, and there was two creels following me!!! VERY luckily, the skeg had caught them, and not the prop.....On closer inspection, the bouy connecting rope was floating on the top of the water!!!! and attached to one of them, was a length of rope maybe 20 yds long, which looked like it had been cut by a Rope Cutter!!!

If it wasnt for my crew member who stopped me,.. I was cutting all those ropes...we looked at some of the others...and some were the same, connected by floating rope on the surface!!! :(:(

Heres a pic of the two that got caught on the skeg! the one on the right, had the cut rope attached to it..

Hi Norrie,
You was Very lucky there........

Hi Inchcolm,
Where did you buy the Small Blue Rod Rest cable tied to your rails?,think that they would be very handy to lean rods against whilst unhooking or baiting up.
KB.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Norrie,
You was Very lucky there........

Hi Inchcolm,
Where did you buy the Small Blue Rod Rest cable tied to your rails?,think that they would be very handy to lean rods against whilst unhooking or baiting up.
KB.
Ebay KB. No 130322876624 Davy Holt put up a thread about them some while back and I thought they looked handy. I got four. You can slide them about on the rails to suit where you want them. I cut the U slot that the rod sits in a bit wider. Though flexible, I found they were a bit to tight and held the rod just a tad too firmly for getting it in and out easily.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On closer inspection I found the prop hub had corroded from the inside out. It got to the point where pressure from the castellated nut collapsed it.

The rubber shock ring had slipped as well - not sure which part of the prop gave up first. Without the support of the prop casting another washer/spacer had fractured as well.
:
I've got in the habit now of taking the prop off now and then and giving the shaft and spacers a good greasing. I've noticed if you put the prop shaft nut on tight you get some sort of reaction and corrosian starting between the spacers and the shaft/prop hub. After seeing that happening despite the greasing, I stopped tightening the nut down hard, and just nip it up and no more before putting the split pin in. That seems to help.

I'm using one of those ebay props just now. It runs fine, no difference from the one that came with the motor - but I'm not sure they are new as they state? I think they are refurbs. The black paint is very thin and is flaking off in places. The original Tohatsu prop has a much better finish on it.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Hi Dave,

You are right enough about just nipping-up the nut.

Unfortunately the corrosion was inside the prop casting, just outside of the splined sleeve and rubber shocker.

No way can you see it until it is too late. A combination of the bonded rubber slipping and that internal corrosion broke the top off the prop hub casting and split the spacer as well.

Never seen it like that that before and just have to hope that this prop failure is a one-off. Certainly I will make sure there is plenty of grease rammed into the area around the splined sleeve and under that spacer in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts