World Sea Fishing Forums banner

A few from last weekend

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  SoleAmbition 
#1 · (Edited)
With the way the wind was blowing I decided to head back to the east last weekend in the hope 🤞of finally catching a cod that was bigger than a fish finger 😁

Alarm set for 3am , gear into the van and set off , I got to my mark at 5am
and set up with my start off lure a 60g razor claw , I had a hit on my first and second cast but it was 3rd cast and fish on 🎣

Nowt spectacular but again the blank was off 👍
Water Wood Fish Beach Lake

In the next hour or so I must of had to hand another twenty or so 🎣

I've been dying to catch a decent cod so a change of tactics was needed, on went a savage gear V2 weedless sandeel in khaki and started jigging across the bottom, I was probably working the lure to quickly for the first 20 minutes as I'd not had a single touch, I then started fishing it really slowly nearly static with very short lifts of the rod then bang fish on 👍 a good 5min scrap and I had the fish at the side and the fish I was waiting for a decent cod of around 4lb but sadly it wasn't to be as it slipped the hook just as I went to pick it up 🤯 that's fishing you win some you loose some 😂

A few cast's later and it was fish on again this time I actually managed to make this one stick and landed it 👍 happy days and my first cod 😁 which was quickly returned 👍

Fin Eel Fish Underwater Wood

Fished for another 30min and lost another decent fish then I stopped for a coffee and a bite to eat

Few jellyfish about

Water Cloud Fluid Lake Liquid

Water Fluid Liquid Lake Marine biology

I decided to have a move and change mark but the one I was intending to fish was bizy so I wandered around and I eventually got onto one I'd previously thought was inaccessible 👍

I stuck to fishing with the savage gear eel and it didn't take long before I was into another decent fish 🎣 happy days 😁 I kept this one which made for a great fish supper with homemade triple cooked chips and mushie peas 🤤👍

Vertebrate Organism Fish Grass Fisherman

I managed another 3 smaller cod which I returned before I hit into another decent fish of around 3lb which I returned ( no photo as I left the camera at my bag )

I did manage another decent fish before it was time to head for home

Plant Organism Wood Fish Marine biology

Another cracking day on the coast for me 👍 and again the learning curve continues 👍
It would be an understatement to say I'm not hooked 😁 hopefully I'll manage to get back out this weekend coming if work don't get in the way 😁

Big Salty

See less See more
#4 ·
If you want to fish really slow for cod (and wrasse) try a SP creature or tube on a cheb or Carolina rig. You could also use a sp shad body on a stand up jig head.
If using the stand up jig just hop it slowly along the bottom using big sweeping movements of the rod, little movements don't work unless you are directly above it. With a cheb or Carolina you can use small or large hops.

#9 ·
Appreciate the advice Malks 👍 and I'll have a look for some sp creatures and give them a go 👍 you can never have enough lures 😂 I bought a mould a few weeks ago for making cheb weights from 10 - 30 grams and a whack of different soft plastics

#15 ·
Lovely marked Codlings there. Well done!

Reactions: Big Salty
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.