World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...from newbie me again.

Just been reading alot about "light tackle" sea fishing. What does it refer to? Whats the difference between light and "heavy" tackle?

IS Mumbles pier available to fish anytime of day no matter what the tides? A mate from work told me that its open all day and you can fish on it for a few quid and it doesnt matter the tide.

Cheers,

Rob.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Heavy fishing is with lines of over say 15lb b.s. with leads of 5oz plus and big baits out at range over rough ground.
Lighter fishing is using spinning or bass rods casting 1-4oz with lighter lines if you are spinning, usually over cleanish ground at closer range.

Mumbles pier is fishable at all states of the tide I think except perhaps low tide on big springs (not sure) and I think its £3 per rod, open 9 ish till 7 or 8 I think.

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Whats the difference between light and "heavy" tackle?
The difference is that it's twice as much fun. Light tackle doesn't involve beachcasters, 5 oz leads, huge hooks and baits and casting to the horizon. It's about small hooks, 8 - 10lb line, float fishing or spinning or very light ledgering with lightweight rods and fishing virtually under your feet.

Mumbles Pier is the ideal place for light tackle tactics. ;) Opens at 9am closes at dusk, usually about 10pm this time of year.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
me and ossi not long ago got back form the mumbles. We were what you'd call light gear fishing, I was using a 1.75lb test curve barble rod, and a 5-25gram 6ft bait casting rod. Brilliant fun, had mackerel, gars and a nice black bream, these outfits can cope with any fish your likely to get down there, mumbles can be fished all the way though the day, best fishing on the flood generally but low water fished well for us today.

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
me and ossi not long ago got back form the mumbles. We were what you'd call light gear fishing, I was using a 1.75lb test curve barble rod, and a 5-25gram 6ft bait casting rod. Brilliant fun, had mackerel, gars and a nice black bream, these outfits can cope with any fish your likely to get down there, mumbles can be fished all the way though the day, best fishing on the flood generally but low water fished well for us today.
a double figure smoothy would be fun :yeah:

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Well a 1.75lb test curve barble rod is built for catching 15lb + fish in fast flowing rivers, having had to drag carp over 15lb out of lilly beds with it, im more than sure it has enough grunt in its butt to tame a smut. Obvously it wont be a case of winding it in like it is on a beach caster / rough ground rod. but played right the only problem id see would be casting enough weight to hold bottom in the rip. (i have targeted hound off the pier with this rod, but failed to hook up.) ... Its only a matter of time before i get one ;)

·
Team Rig Maker
19,817 Posts
a double figure smoothy would be fun :yeah:
the fun part would be holding it for the drop net as it tries to dive under the pier, that could be good fun, think I need to try out my 2.5 lb test curve fox down there

·
Registered
39 Posts
being a salt newbie myself, this was more or less my thought as my 2&3/4lb carp rods ought to be able to handle anything our shores are likely to throw at me.

having said that, it's more of a pain on bite detection in the wind, and not ideal for any heavy weights

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
One of the guys on Brands all nighter last year? Or the year previous? Can't remember, but he landed a smoothie on a carp rod, wasn't a monster, around the 3 or 4 pound mark, but goes to show what balanced tackle can achieve. ;)

·
Registered
593 Posts
An Example of heavy verses light fishing tackle:- Fishing for flounder down Laugharne, One guy using a 12 foot beach caster, multiplier reel with 25lb bs line, 5 oz breakaway weights. The other using a 9 ft converted no. 8 fly rod with a small fixed spool loaded with 8 lb bs line and 1/2 to 1 oz leads. Who would have the most fun? The guy with the beachcaster complains that flounder don't put up a fight, the guy with the fly rod just laughs!!! The guy with the fly rod was me, the guy with the beachcaster, after seeing my fun, went and bought a fly rod!!!!!!! Fishing light, the only way to go in my opinion.

·
Registered
39 Posts
totally agree, at the end of the day it's a case of 'as light as you can' for me. which usually relates to the ground you're fishing.

i've never had the pleasure of hooking a fish that fights as hard as a double figure carp - but looking forward to being shown otherwise :yahoo:

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
I haven't used a beachcaster since April, while the masses are catching doggies I've pigged out on bass, mackerel, pollack and garfish on a 3 piece 10ft Shakey Salt spinning rod. :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah right thanks for clearing that up.
So if I had a choice between my 12ft beach caster and a load of heavy tackle or my 10ft spinning rod and lighter ledgers and line etc im better off taking the latter?

What is the nearest tackle shop to Mumbles Pier?

What are the recommended baits and methods used down Mumbles Pier?

Cheers everyone...

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
being a salt newbie myself, this was more or less my thought as my 2&3/4lb carp rods ought to be able to handle anything our shores are likely to throw at me.

having said that, it's more of a pain on bite detection in the wind, and not ideal for any heavy weights

had a 2 1/2lb tc on chesil last weekend,was surprised at how well it held up.did struggle to cast 110g and a 4oz poor cod dead bait mind:thumbs:

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Ah right thanks for clearing that up.
So if I had a choice between my 12ft beach caster and a load of heavy tackle or my 10ft spinning rod and lighter ledgers and line etc im better off taking the latter?

What is the nearest tackle shop to Mumbles Pier?

What are the recommended baits and methods used down Mumbles Pier?

Cheers everyone...
nearest shop is near the entrance to the pier.most baits work fine,though i will never fish there without squid......especially the little party ones:thumbs:
as for tackle,close in go light,if casting out go heavy as there is a strong rip and is quite snaggy in places

·
Registered
593 Posts
The nearest shop is "Basstastic fishing tackle", you can't miss it as you walk toward the pier, it's opposite the amusements.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts