World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got myself a rod and reel ready for my hols down in newquay and loaded the reel with 15lb mainline and a tapered shock leader,my probably most stupid question is how much leader should actually be on the reel when ready to cast,as i,m a freshwater chap,when i fish normally,a shock leader would go around the spool about 1/2 a dozen times,but this tapered thing if i were to cut it back,{15to45lb bs}would reduce the strength or dont it really need cutting back?its actually 13 metres.also when ledgering,if fiishing paternoster style,do you tie the ledger to the end of the shockleader,if so that would mean tieing hook lengths onto the shock leader as well, or is it just best to fish a running ledger,thanks in advance chaps.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you need to use the whole tapered leader, i personally use a normal leader. each to there own i guess.

most people make rigs up that can be tied or clipped onto the leader, and the lead clipped to the other end.
thanks for that, i actually went to buy a 60lb leader,but on advice from the bloke in tackle shop he :unsure: said that with a tapered leader ,it will keep the leader to the mainline double blood knot to a minimum size without it impairing casting

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Which newquay? If its Cornwall then your more than welcome to give me a shout
thanks for that bigman,definitely your newquay mate,going down end of may for 10 days and stopping @riverside at lane.fancy having a go on flycellars where i usually go sit and watch while the wifes looking round *******shops,but know it gets busy there so might go and try and find somewhere quieter where i can only embarrass myself!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.