World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just got home after cleaning boat and fish.

A little bumpy at 6am this morning, but still able to cruise at 20 knts.

Tried two wrecks on the Ebb.
1st one produced a lovely cod of 12lbs and a baby Bass (returned), then it just went dead. Tried hopping various lures, jellys and even pirks.

Moved about a mile to the next and stayed there all through slack and some of the Flood.

Hopping produced the most fish, then a Pirk with feathers over the slack. Back to hopping on the Flood. The fish were away from the wreck on the Ebb and then seemed to be right on top during the Slack and Flood.

The sun came out and the wind dropped to zero.

The most unusual moment came when I had a really good bite on the pirk/feathers/muppets combo.

The fish was hooked right by the tail with the treble from my brand new Abu pirk still in is gob. The treble was detached from the pirk???
The split ring must have let go. Not good on an expensive lure like that.

The cod must have struck the pirk, seperated the treble and then hooked itself on the feathers!!!

All the cod were full of baby crabs.

Had 8 in all, ranging from 6 to 12 lbs.

Beats fitting a new radiator ANYDAY. :yeah::yeah:

Headed home towards the Bassy Grounds but changed my mind about a mile away and diverted to the Marina.

I'm knackered.......................

SORRY, NO BASS TODAY. :schmoll:

I'm sure you have all seen enough pictures of fish so, here's one of the baby crabs, only 1.25" across!!

G

·
Wel done Steve

Nice crab that mate. A coupe of hundred of them stewed in a pot with a bit of stock and you'd have a lovely crab soup...

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhh!!!! I see you did take some notice of me when we were fishing!!! the ole pirk on the slack trick !!!
Called Cliff and he was into Bass where I said they might well be, so you may have missed out on some. Gutted I had to go back to work.:yucky:

The Cod I had the other week were all full of tiny little crabs as well,smaller than the one in the pic.

Alan

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wel done Steve

Nice crab that mate. A coupe of hundred of them stewed in a pot with a bit of stock and you'd have a lovely crab soup...
Eeeeuch, not from the bellys of cod Tom!!:yucky::yucky:

All soft and eroded from stomach acids...........A bit like those little remains of white fish that Pollock so nicely spew when they hit the surface.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhhhhhhhh!!!! I see you did take some notice of me when we were fishing!!! the ole pirk on the slack trick !!!
Called Cliff and he was into Bass where I said they might well be, so you may have missed out on some. Gutted I had to go back to work.:yucky:

The Cod I had the other week were all full of tiny little crabs as well,smaller than the one in the pic.

Alan
Yes Alan, I do observe and listen when someone shows me the way...thankyou.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
We looked for you but you must have been further out and had a much earlier start. We had 3 bass and a pollack as keepers - report on Andys thread. So its pirks and feathers over slack water? Is it worth livebaiting or using bait during the slack?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
We looked for you but you must have been further out and had a much earlier start. We had 3 bass and a pollack as keepers - report on Andys thread. So its pirks and feathers over slack water? Is it worth livebaiting or using bait during the slack?

Steve was Cod fishing on a wreck (around 190ft) were you wouldn`t really go for Bass so livebait would really be a waste of time,unless you wanted a cod on one!!

The Bass fishing seems to die off around the slack so it`s not the best time. Once the water gets on the move again it`s normally better.

Alan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts