World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all was any one in the solent saturday only didnt see anyone what for all the fog, lucky we fitted the new gps, think we would have still been out there or in france, caught 5 smoovies though, biggest about 4lb and a token bass. peeler for the hounds rag for the bass.

thank god for gps :D

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Could you have found your way in with chart and compass if yor GPS had failed, the Yanks can switch off the signal at any time, or your GPS can pack up. My mobile and VHF go mad when I am out and it goes foggy, last time I rounded up 7 boats lost in the fog and my son brought us in. He is 16 now, since he was 6 I have made him do the navigation in fog in case he is out with me and I am not able to bring us in for whatever reason, We have 3 fixed sets and a hand held so it is only a sattelite shutdown that will affect us. Nevertheless we have worked on it together in fine weather and in fog over the years, now a bit of fog is seen as an inconvenience that mean he goes slower than fine weather. Please have a contingency ready if you get caught out in fog without your GPS.

This is not intended as a pop at you, hopefully you will take it as it is meant, friendly advice, probably preaching to the converted anyway. :rolleyes:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont worry mate no offence taken,looked at the chart while out couldnt even figure out which way was north.thick eh does the rya day skippers course cover this sort of stuff as im thinking of taking it,any idea how much it is :)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Just did the RYA with my lad, they have asked him to consider the instructor's course. No it only covers very basic navigation in fine weather. No mention of fog or nightime navigation. They didn't even cover lights on ships or buoys. They asked my lad at the end if he had learnt anything, his answer was basically no, not very polite. He has the certificate that allows him to launch at least, and he gets a discount off the insurance for his boat so all is not lost.

The course cost us £165 each at Plas Menai

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hello folks!

Just out of interest, I recently completed a 20week "Day Skipper"

course at Aberystwyth. This course was very comprehensive, and included

constant learning and revision of chartwork, (plotting courses, speed over

ground, estimated position,etc.) Ship & Navigation lights, signals, negotiating

shipping lanes, use of VHF radio, what to do in emergency, and also how to deal

with fog and other dodgy weather conditions! It also included practical demos

of using GPS and compasses. (With slides and hands-on use of instruments).

As a complete beginner I found this course extremely useful, and I learned a hell

of a lot from it. I just hope I can remember it all when I take the boat out for the

first time!! The course was £180 by the way, and I think it was worth every

penny!!

Hope this is of interest!

VL1500

·
Registered
325 Posts
I did the Day Skipper course some years ago, when I was crewing on small racing yachts, and agree with VL1500, it is excellent.

To be able to navigate manually in fog, without the aid of GPS, you need to know two things, where you are and where you want to go. I have never used GPS but as long as it retains your last position in its memory, even though the satellite is not working, then you are ok. If not, you would need to keep a regular log of your positions to establish a course from your last fix.

Fred

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Its suprising how many people lack the basic skills to find their way home, last year when a mist descended, a boat much larger than mine, with 4 anglers on board loomed out of the mist, & grabbed hold of our handrail!
"Which direction is Swansea mate?", I gave him a bearing & said go quietly on that bearing & listen for the horn on the lighthouse, you guessed it,no compass!
Do you know what time HW was? "Yes"! Then you should have an idea which direction the tide is running now? (it runs virtually E to W on ebb, W to E on the flood), pushed, you can drift home if you know the time of high water, some mothers do ave em!
I enjoy sitting at a chart on a miserable winters evening, plotting the course from waypoint to waypoint, (noting annual magnetic variation) entering it into a laminated folder & looking forward to summer. To me that is as satisfying as having a successful trip!
I hope those four guys took the hint & bought a compass & a chart after their outing! They eventually anchored up just astern of us & waited until we set off & followed us, until we run out of the mist, then they "throttled up" & went past us as if we we anchored, creating a wake that made us "rock & roll"!
There are times when I wish "some mothers never ad em"!
blueskip

1 - 7 of 7 Posts