World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from a week down at the in-laws in Pembrokeshire. Had gone down hoping to add to the species tally, but found the first couple of sessions a bit hard going, not least due to the weather as it was mostly chucking it down with rain or blowing a gale, or both! First session we fished the "dead end" next to the car ferry ramp at Hobbs Point, Pembroke Dock, with the float tackle for two hours hoping for a mullet (blank!), before getting out the LRF gear and switching over to the pontoon at high tide. Unfortunately, the rock gobies were out en masse again in various sizes and colour variations.

WP_20170803_09_46_16_Pro.jpg

Me and the lad must have had over 20 between us before the monotony was broken by a few small pollack, that dashed out to grab baits dangled in front of the kelp, and a solitary sand smelt.

WP_20170803_10_37_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20160804_10_55_40_Pro.jpg

A trip over to the chandler's at Neyland Marina for some bits for the boat the following day gave us an opportunity to try the opposite side of the Haven for a change, but we were too early in the tide with only about three feet of water at the bottom of the dock wall. A surprise bass to the lad first cast gave us a bit of hope, but we struggled in the wind after that just to catch a couple of rock gobies between us.

WP_20170802_13_15_04_Pro.jpg

The lad was busy helping out with the family falconry business next day, so it was just me that made another trip to Hobbs Point. A strong wind was pushing quite a swell straight up the Haven and I had to keep an eye out for the odd rogue wave washing over the end of the ramp! Conditions didn't stop the fish feeding, but it was only rock gobies (about 30 of them!) and pollack again.

Sun came out towards the end of the week, so we were eventually able to have some family trips out. However, I managed to fit one more session in at Fishguard, where I headed onto the inner breakwater for high tide just after first light. The weed covered boulders down both sides looked ideal for wrasse.

WP_20170805_09_13_16_Pro.jpg

Tried isome on the dropshot rig and then on a weedless jig head, but after half an hour I'd not had a sniff. Then spotted some small fish knocking around the fringes of the weed, so scaled right down and fished angleworm on the dropshot with a size 16 hook. Soon had several small pollack before deciding to move to the opposite side of the breakwater. Don't know what made me pick the spot in question other than it was near some crab pots, but I had three different members of the cod family in three casts! First up was a tiny pouting.

WP_20170805_08_26_28_Pro.jpg

Followed by a codling.

WP_20170805_08_35_24_Pro.jpg

And then finally a poor cod.

WP_20170805_08_37_54_Pro.jpg

Had a few more pollack before I had to call it a day. Was relieved I'd pulled something out of the bag with the last session and will definitely give Fishguard another go, hopefully for a whiting later in the year, but I was a bit perplexed with the complete lack of wrasse over the week. They can't all have gone to Scotland!

·
The Ultra light Always doing it in style
4,950 Posts
Rewards for your efforts. Wrasse can be funny things at times and if they don't want to feed they won't and can stay like that for a while.......

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rewards for your efforts. Wrasse can be funny things at times and if they don't want to feed they won't and can stay like that for a while.......
Yes, awkward beggars!

Off to Tuscany in just over a week close to Cecina on the west coast. A marina, breakwater and some groynes there looking at Google maps, so taking the LRF gear to see what we can get. Hoping it might have cooled down a bit by then, but reading your posts early morning is best?

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Just back from a week down at the in-laws in Pembrokeshire. Had gone down hoping to add to the species tally, but found the first couple of sessions a bit hard going, not least due to the weather as it was mostly chucking it down with rain or blowing a gale, or both! First session we fished the "dead end" next to the car ferry ramp at Hobbs Point, Pembroke Dock, with the float tackle for two hours hoping for a mullet (blank!), before getting out the LRF gear and switching over to the pontoon at high tide. Unfortunately, the rock gobies were out en masse again in various sizes and colour variations.

View attachment 915473

Me and the lad must have had over 20 between us before the monotony was broken by a few small pollack, that dashed out to grab baits dangled in front of the kelp, and a solitary sand smelt.

View attachment 915497

View attachment 915513

A trip over to the chandler's at Neyland Marina for some bits for the boat the following day gave us an opportunity to try the opposite side of the Haven for a change, but we were too early in the tide with only about three feet of water at the bottom of the dock wall. A surprise bass to the lad first cast gave us a bit of hope, but we struggled in the wind after that just to catch a couple of rock gobies between us.

View attachment 915521

The lad was busy helping out with the family falconry business next day, so it was just me that made another trip to Hobbs Point. A strong wind was pushing quite a swell straight up the Haven and I had to keep an eye out for the odd rogue wave washing over the end of the ramp! Conditions didn't stop the fish feeding, but it was only rock gobies (about 30 of them!) and pollack again.

Sun came out towards the end of the week, so we were eventually able to have some family trips out. However, I managed to fit one more session in at Fishguard, where I headed onto the inner breakwater for high tide just after first light. The weed covered boulders down both sides looked ideal for wrasse.

View attachment 915537

Tried isome on the dropshot rig and then on a weedless jig head, but after half an hour I'd not had a sniff. Then spotted some small fish knocking around the fringes of the weed, so scaled right down and fished angleworm on the dropshot with a size 16 hook. Soon had several small pollack before deciding to move to the opposite side of the breakwater. Don't know what made me pick the spot in question other than it was near some crab pots, but I had three different members of the cod family in three casts! First up was a tiny pouting.

View attachment 915569

Followed by a codling.

View attachment 915553

And then finally a poor cod.

View attachment 915561

Had a few more pollack before I had to call it a day. Was relieved I'd pulled something out of the bag with the last session and will definitely give Fishguard another go, hopefully for a whiting later in the year, but I was a bit perplexed with the complete lack of wrasse over the week. They can't all have gone to Scotland!
Well done mate a few nice fish there

1 - 9 of 9 Posts