World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love fishing and always have since I was very young! My dad got me hooked (couldn't help myself lol) because he use to take me out in his boat evertime and slowly introduced the love he for fishing. That first fish I can still remember! A 3lb plaice of the blocks that still feels like yesterday.

Unfortunately he sold due to illness and I carried on with beach fishing. I self taught, improved skills and in my view was successful more often than not, what do u expect beach fishing on and off 20 years.?!

So.... last month I finally knocked it on the head. I've pretty much sold all my gear accept beachcasters! (Waiting for a buyer) Why you ask?! I bought my first boat .

So 6 weeks it's not touched water due to the amount of work needed, hey it's a project. Plan is to be safe and sea worthy In 8 weeks and i cannot wait for the first voyage.
What I would like to ask is for a couple of Mark's where there is rough/rocky ground in the solent preferably close to lee on solent?
As I want to build confidence up first with the boat before venture far like nab tower.
Stu

·
Registered
410 Posts
Congrats on your new boat mate! What kind of boat did you get and share some pictures to show us 'before' and 'after'.

Reactions: stuwhittle86

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea tbh, possibly a Oyster 14 but cant confirm because I have searched and can only see 16ft ones.
Pics added.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Looks like a labour of love but very satisfying when you get to fish from it.
Salar (on here) is the gtg for all things solent.
But tbh if you check the navionics app you can probably find some likely spots then follow others

·
Registered
410 Posts
Lovely boat and needs tonnes of work but like Boyscott said its gonna be a fantastic moment taking her out and get some fish from. Good luck with the project and fingers crossed you'll be able to take her out this summer :thumbsup:

Reactions: stuwhittle86

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys getting there slowly. The race is on for end of summer

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
Not a lot of rough ground i can think of mainland side of the island.
Bembridge ledge for Bream and the Needles for Bass & Pollack spring to mind .
The tide run at the Needles might be a bit iffy for a little boat.
Buddy up with a bigger boat if you can .

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Small update and photos attached.
1. New floor in, tabbed and fully glassed over.
2. Found transom was rotted through so replaced with new 18mm doubled up. Tabbed in and fully glassed over.
3. New bench seat in, tabbed and glassed over.
4. Started painting the inside 😍
Feel like I'm getting there but still alot to do! Will update again soon.
Stu

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
For a maiden voyage in the Autumn/Winter you will not need to go far from Lee on Solent to find fish, you will see a line of boats along the drop off into the channel.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Small update and photos attached.
1. New floor in, tabbed and fully glassed over.
2. Found transom was rotted through so replaced with new 18mm doubled up. Tabbed in and fully glassed over.
3. New bench seat in, tabbed and glassed over.
4. Started painting the inside 😍
Feel like I'm getting there but still alot to do! Will update again soon.
Stu
Good luck with your new boat , stay safe , enjoy , taking your own boat out just can’t be beaten, Graham

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi everyone, been quite some time since last update but this is where I am up to.

Been hard fighting weather, light and around work but needs must...

Undercoated and glossed inside.

Undercoated and glossed topside.

Undercoated hull and wasnt happy with the repairs so sanded, filled, sanded, fibreglassed and repeated several times trying to master fairing. Eventually I had given up on perfection and accepted it at a good standard. Undercoated and glossed 3 coats.

Windows and strips cleaned and refitted.

Rubber fender glued and riveted.

Electrics going in and soon will have a pair of pedestal seats.

Photos below thanks for looking.
Stu

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thankyou Pick, I have 25hp Evinrude LS with tiller and Evinrude 4hp LS auxiliary. Both engines very old but have had them running. They need servicing so hoping to jump on that asap.
Stu

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thankyou Pick, I have 25hp Evinrude LS with tiller and Evinrude 4hp LS auxiliary. Both engines very old but have had them running. They need servicing so hoping to jump on that asap.
Stu
Looks great Stu, alot of hard work been put in.... the transom was made out of garden soil by the looks of things!

Im solent based, out of langstone, there are alot of us about on here, if you want/need a buddy boat to get some confidence, or want to buddy up on another boat/have someone with you, give us a bell and we can arrange something.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hahahaha too old. Some of the best boats out there would be "too old" by that comment Hahahaha.
That one's not "good" for fishing tho IMO, but it's your decision.... as it is in the end "what you want" from a boat.
My current boat has got to be from the 70's/80's and all my other boats (11 so far) have been at least that (I used to buy "wrecks" and do them up).
I actually find that the "older boats" were in the main built better TBH.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts