World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after my dissapointment of today I decided to go as planned for a session down at Cogden. The rain had put off many anglers but I needed to get out.

Set up around 7.00pm with one rod in close with mackerel fillet and the other cast at varying distances to see where the fish where. First cast brought in a large pout with a strip of mackerel. HAd a go further out and same story. VAried the bait with worm, worm and squid and mackerel strips. All where hit by pouting plus a few lost hooks to crabs. The rain was pretty persistent and by 9pm I was pretty well soaked through. You know there's something about getting wet underpants that really is the final straw.

Anyway I soldiered on chasing the tide out with my close in bait and resisting reeling in for every tug on the rod caused by the strong undertow. Finally around 9.45 the rod bent over and gave that tell tale judder and rattle. Left it for a second to make sure the fish was on. Yes, rod with a good bend now. Pull in and reel away. Nice fight in the surf and had to let the drag slip as the fish was pulled by the retreating waves. A few more of them and its safe on the beach. A good size bass that at first I thought was close to 6lb judging from its length, but on weighing it at home on two scales they confirmed it was just a tad over 4lb. I guess it was quite thin. Still a fair reward and bucked up my spirits.

Needles to say I soon pack up and headed home to get into some dry underwear!!

Sorry, another crappy phone picture.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
well done it just goes to show what you can do when you stick it out when most others have gone or not bothered because of some ind and rain

·
Registered
803 Posts
Great persistence and well rewarded with a lovely bass, nice one.:fishing:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Nice bass mate,well worth the effort I'd say.I had a little session tonight with record eater at the gas tanks and like you ended up soaked.We fished from 8 till 11.30 but no bites till dusk and in that short space of time till pack up I managed 6 species,a bream,2 poor cod,a pout,a surprise pollack,a bass and another surprise,a codling!record eater struggled with pout and poor cod,ended up being a great night though and well worth getting wet for.:fishing:

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
cracking fish richard. great effort.

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
good effort ginge...... bet petes gutted!!

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
nice one rich,,good on ya for sticking it out in that weather mate,,,nice fishy,,

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Nice fish m8 well worth the persistance in the rain. Some anglers would have ran for cover from the rain or even given up when the Pouting were about. Top marks!!! especially with the wet pants too

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
Nice reward for your persistence Richard, I would have to agree....it does look a bit bigger than a tad over 4lb. Lovely looking fish. :clap:

Could have done without the 'wet pants' info though! lol.

Nice one.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice bass mate,well worth the effort I'd say.I had a little session tonight with record eater at the gas tanks and like you ended up soaked.We fished from 8 till 11.30 but no bites till dusk and in that short space of time till pack up I managed 6 species,a bream,2 poor cod,a pout,a surprise pollack,a bass and another surprise,a codling!record eater struggled with pout and poor cod,ended up being a great night though and well worth getting wet for.:fishing:
I thought you would be struggling for the bream up there but six species is good going. There's a few codling coming in now. Surprised at recordeater, he usually pulls fish in like a trawler :cry:. Must have a session up that end, but I think I would prefer it in calm clear conditions.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice reward for your persistence Richard, I would have to agree....it does look a bit bigger than a tad over 4lb. Lovely looking fish. :clap:

Could have done without the 'wet pants' info though! lol.

Nice one.
Don't worry Andy it was just rain water, I didn't pmsl

Well done mate. Doesn’t it just feel more rewarding when you're soaked through to the pants!
Now that could be taken the wrong way :blink:

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't think I dare admit to wearing rubber pants. Not when I'm fishing with Ian anyway!!

G

·
Nice fish m8 well worth the persistance in the rain. Some anglers would have ran for cover from the rain or even given up when the Pouting were about. Top marks!!! especially with the wet pants too
just coz I bottled on the forecast last night:spiteful:eddie you got mail
:crazy::wheelchai

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
and another surprise,a codling!:
Seems to me that this is a fairly regular thing, the first of the South coast codling showing at Chesil. By the end of August, Selsey might be worth a look, and by September, these "Winter" fish will be showing as far East as Seaford. Global Warming? NOt sure, as I havent fished the South coast beaches long enough. Any ol timers got an opinion......... Hot Wad....? :spiteful:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I thought you would be struggling for the bream up there but six species is good going. There's a few codling coming in now. Surprised at recordeater, he usually pulls fish in like a trawler :cry:. Must have a session up that end, but I think I would prefer it in calm clear conditions.
I know what you mean about record eater,he certainly wasn't on form last night,I think he was concentratrating more on keeping dry!
Just wondered if you've noticed the lack of doggies at the mo,haven't had one for the last three or four sessions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts