World Sea Fishing Forums banner

A local sting.

2K views 16 replies 17 participants last post by  thabassmaster 
#1 ·
Spent the last few years targeting stingrays on the south coast. A lot of travelling and 10lb+ of ragworm each time. It can turn into an expensive fish to target, with a lot of blank sessions and pest fish. Lucky to catch a few in the low doubles last year. But my efforts this year didn’t reap any results. Set up on a local mark yesterday in the Bristol Channel. A mark some can remember the odd stinger being caught many years ago. The main target was hounds with anything else as a bonus. To my surprise my second cast, the ratchet screamed off like a typical hound run staying deep. But I quickly realised this was no hound. Powerful lunges in deep tidal water proved otherwise. Leaving the net in the van and fishing alone, landing on the rocks was going to be difficult. Had to rip my top off whilst holding the rod with the other hand, so I could wrap something around the tail before lifting it to safety.

A shore caught stinger of 17lb.
Glasses Water Goggles Vision care Vertebrate

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.