World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my little spot, it's up the sandbanks end of Bournemouth beach and it's not one of those catch fish every time kind of spots, it's almost been a year since my last catch but when it does produce fish they are good fish! Had this beautiful bass this evening, fished a two hook paternoster with squid, arrived at 7pm and left at 1am, only the one fish but lots of almost bites, good taps but nothing fully developed but the good taps came after the big fish and as the cold set in. It was very hard pulling myself away from the beach, had I worn jeans rather than shorts and not got my shoes wet I could've stayed another few hours but I am no fan of being underclothed in the cold wind so packed up with just the one but it was a beautiful fish and, for all you conservationists, yes, it went back and boy did it tear off like a race horse! I did read only today (luckily) that there is a ban on all bass for the whole year of 2018 so this one gets to live to grow even bigger.. Great to be catching again, been down the beach since March, every now and then like but not even had a bite til yesterday, not had the freshest bait so I bought some nice fresh squid today and that was just the job! Peeled the skin off the squid, pulled the heads off and squeezed the guts out, pulled the plastic spine out and cut some slits in the skirt, did just the job! Chuffed to bits, hoping the warm weather continues so I can keep trying for more! Tight lines everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
Well done. Catching the first good sized fish of your angling career is a magical moment, one that you will never forget. By the way, if you want to target bigger fish, don’t bother taking the head and guts from the squid, (that’s where most of the scent is), just up your hook sizes and fish it on a flowing trace pennel rig. Loads of advice on here about rigs if you search for it. Bob.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well done. Catching the first good sized fish of your angling career is a magical moment, one that you will never forget. By the way, if you want to target bigger fish, don’t bother taking the head and guts from the squid, (that’s where most of the scent is), just up your hook sizes and fish it on a flowing trace pennel rig. Loads of advice on here about rigs if you search for it. Bob.
Cheers Bob, I have been trying whole squid then squid strips and then I saw some info online about just using the skin, I thought I may be missing the smaller ones trying for bigger ones that didn't seem to be there so tried something different and got results. Only had the one rod so might take two down next time and set one up with whole squid and just the skins on the other, see which gets the best results.. Certainly was nice to get the first fish of the year, even better to be a good sized, good fighting bass! Hoping there are many more to follow, if it wasn't so cold by the end of it I could've stayed longer to see if the phantom bites turned into something more, just have to dress for the weather next time...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never forget once when a bunch of beer cans rolled onto the beach from the surf and drank them
Funny you mention that, early into the sesh I had set up below the tide line, tide was out so I thought I had time, I checked the tide times and it should've been past high tide so I thought I was safe but I experienced what I can only describe as a mini tsunami! A wave broke the peak of the sand and flooded my little patch, my shoes got soaked, my gear almost got washed away and my beers went sailing off down the beach... Not contempt with looking a right fool to the onlooking crowd, I then proceeded to chase my beers down the beach... Not my finest moment I must say... I reset camp above the tide mark and the miniature natural disaster was soon forgotten when the bass took my bait ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts