World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was awoken at 04.30 by the theme tune to "Local Hero" blasting on my mobile phone. All boded well for this early morning bass session as I could not hear any wind at all outside the caravan and could not even here any sea movement.

I had packed the car up the night before and arrived at my fancied mark in no time at all.On the way I had to swerve around a large hare which was sat on the road watching the sun come up. I know some guys who would have put their foot down just to hit it!!!

In the short space of time since getting up an easterly breeze had sprung up and was freshening all the time. My original and preferred plan was to use the popper but it was a bit too choppy by now so on went a 20g controller float fishing a small sandeel on a No 1 hook fishing behind it on an 8' trace.My mate had done well for the bass the previous week using them so I was feeling quite confident.

I had been casting away for about an hour,varying the rate and style of retrieve all the time and had not had one touch. It was just about then that a cloud of midges appeared and guess what - where is your "Avon Skin so Soft" when you need it - back in the caravan!!! They were simply so irritating that I had decided to give it the "three more casts routine". Pleased I did because on the second cast a fish decided to take the sandeel. I thought it was a bass but once it was into the surf I could see it was a really big mackerel.Oh well at least I had something for breakfast. Time for a sharp exit as the midges were doing my head in by this time.

Driving back to Drummore pulled into the layby at Terally as had noticed a few gannets diving in.Turned out it was an adult bird showing two younger birds how to fish - I should have asked him for a lesson.It really was facinating watching this and I must have been parked there a good half hour.

As far as the fishing had went it was pants but I really enjoyed those couple of hours out before breakfast. Its not always about catching fish,just being out there amongst nature gives me a buzz.

This is your roving MOG reporter signing off till next time.

Snatcher

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going home on Saturday for thre weeks but will be be back just in time for the WSF boat meet. Here for the last week in August and the first two in September. Then its off to oz for two months :clap:

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Did you realise it was me when you waddled out of the Clash on Sunday night and we passed by towing the boat?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gordon I was just going to post this aswell!!

I thought it was snatcher on the mobile at the side of the road, I gave him a toot on the offchance it was him lol.
Yes it was me on the mobile and can recall getting tooted at !!! See ya around the MOG next time lads :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts