World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Visiting my Mum for a week whilst my brothers away I took the opportunity to get out early yesterday morning and wet a line. Spent the first 40 mins scouting access points to a section of coast I’ve wanted to fish for ages. Then set off for a reliable Co Down rock mark. 30 min yomp later saw me trying a new set of rock promontories into what seemed about 20ft of water a couple of hours before high tide. A pod of dolphins were working 100yds out corralling some fish so gave me hope of a mackerel breakfast.
Clipped on a savage gear psycho sprat and sent it seaward, half a dozen winds in fish on... only a small pollack but a great start!
Ah the curse of the first cast catch....... nothing for an hour tried several different lures nada!
Moved spot but shallower put on a small sgse third cast, fish, better fight and a small coalie was flapping at my feet. Again after that nothing. The pattern of the morning see me moving up and down rock outcrops, picking up rubbish and feathers that people had left behind. Why you people leave yer sh*te on the rocks I simply don’t understand. But I hope someone breaks into your parked car, you slip and smash your rod on the rocks and you get a flat tyre on the way home, you thoroughly deserve it.
Next rock mark saw a better fish connected with but it managed to ground me and I lost it, a few casts later saw a nice fish of 2 1/2lb come ashore this time on a 35g psycho sprat in blue silver it was now getting towards late morning so I walked back to the car but I’d ear marked a rock outcrop and with the help of depth charts though it may be worth a chuck for a final 20mins. It wasn’t overly deep and a sink and draw style lure presentation saw me snagging the bottom a lot. I switched to a flat retrieve, this is not how I like to present my metals as the drop flutter action,I personally think, produces more fish. It’s all about confidence in a method and I approached this with not much hope. Second cast bang! Fish on another feisty coalie who dropped off as I lifted him in followed by two more small pollack. I was watching the sandeels in front of me and looking at the weed line thinking with this bait here surely there must be something on the edge of that drop off. Suddenly my rod whacked round again and another nice pollack of about 2 1/2lb put up a nice scrap and lay at my feet where he promptly coughed up a load of sandeels. Just goes to show although not my preferred method it was very productive on this mark and has encouraged me to give it another go at a later date. All in all a good morning it was stunning caught 9 fish but worked for every one of them took the last one for the bbq as my mum wanted some fresh fish. Hopefully will get out Monday as the weather looks good at the minute.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Great report Robin and not bad results for your efforts.
I was up the North coast on Thursday past an only got two wee skitters for my efforts, battling wind an a angry sea.

Well done again fella an like I say, a good old read to boot.

Mark...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts