World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all, to my knowledge, most people will not know of this d-vice, other than maybe some of the severn / bristol channel angliers,

anyways, i was fishing dover breakwater on friday night, anyone who's fished this place will know the relivence of this post, for those that don't, imagine fishing into 60ft of water, with a tide that's faster / more powerfull than just about anywhere else in the country, it's not, or at least, never has been 'easy' fishing.

Knowing i was going, I was approached by one of the d-vice team, and asked if i would test a new fixed wire d-vice prototype, it had been tested on the severn, but they wanted to test it's effectiveness on another demanding venue, and what better venue to test it on! so, I agreed, and on thursday 24th i was the proud recipient of a few d-vices with a difference,

now, i've fished dover maybe 8 times, i've never had any joy using fixed wire leads, even up to 10oz, partly down to me not knowing how to bend them properly, and mostly cos the poxy wires are too soft, holding bottom can be a nightmare, my last few trips have involved 8oz (210g) custome made gemini uptiders, which work 90% of the time, but asi have to make the wires so tight, they can be a git to pull out,

the other disadvantage of breakway type grip leads, is that lost snagged leaders can get caught around the wires, and you lose the lot, adding to the snags, fixed wires simply bend out. not just this, but if you pull ito a bite, and there's no fish, you can't simply drop it back down as the wires are now open, and the rig fast heading downtide! despite this, i was apprehensive about using them due to past experience.

the test...
the d-vice was 190g, and the wires were nice and thick, bendable, but stiff and long, I used two of these d-vices exclusively, all night, all with big baits like whole squid, macky fillet, multiple sandeel etc, all baits ejected as expected, but, most importantly, not one cast 'broke out' in the tide, that, for me, was a first! watching others struggle made me realise that i was using a quality piece of kit! even when winding in, i could drop the d-vice back down, and it would hold, something that couldn't ever be done with break out type leads!

despite the d-vice looking more akin to a grapple hook than a bait delivery system, it cast as well as any lead i've used, nice and straight 'wire first' into the water every time, no tumbling or wobbling at all.

I stuck with the first bent wire configuration i chose, and it worked handsomely!

something more impressive.. these leads are rated at 190g, but to me, looked little heavier than the 150g items i have, so i weighed one, the scales flickered a bit, but settled around 6.5oz, i queried this with the guys upon submitting a brief report, and it was explained that these are from the prototype moulds, and may well be slightly off, well, they were an oz off, BUT, this makes it even more astonishing, holding bottom throughout the savage tides experienced on the southern breakwater, with just 6.5oz of lead, is something i never thought i'd witness, i often struggle to hold with 7oz on the inside, and 8oz outside,

the wires needed just the slightest alteration prior to recasting them out, but otherwise, were superb,

i don't often fish tides as powerful as those found at dover, but, these are certainly a tool worth having if you do!

i believe i'm right in saying that the full production version will be available from mid august, i'm not sure of the price, but for the way it made my fishng a lot easier, they'll be worth every penny!

the pic below shows the d-vice with the 'bent wire' configuration that worked so well, and a mag elite for scale purposes.

·
12,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this would be awsome for dungeness as well i imagine! must try one in november!
having never fished dungie, i wouldn't know, but if it can hold at dover, i doubt there's anywhere it wouldn't!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
put it this way ,most people dont fish the long tides as its usually unfishable due to the depth and tidal current......not now though!

·
12,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great report M8 when will see it for sale on the site and is it just one place to get the D-vice on the web.
not sure about the wsf site, i just know it should be in the shops mid augst mate.

Hugh

·
12,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can get the same result by screwing the gemini rough ground legs onto the front of the normal dvice- http://www.gemini-tackle.co.uk/sinkers2.php i often use the anti snag legs on the front and they work fine

whilst i agree in principle, in practice, those wires just don't cut it, they're too soft, first time i went i used them with very little luck at all! would work on lesser flows i guess,

the only real advantage i see with the gemini fixed heads, is the ability to store them easier than the d-vice, it's a big old tool, but two sat very neatly (upside down) in my bag with the wires as i was using them.

thanks.
Hugh

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
thats the point for me - on the rough ground with not too much tide i can pull them out - for heavy tides i agree a stiffer wire woudl be best - but on rough ground thats too expensive - ask the dvice boys how many i loose -:thumbdown- costing me a fortune. had to go back to the clipped down pulley for the ruff stuff

·
12,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats the point for me - on the rough ground with not too much tide i can pull them out - for heavy tides i agree a stiffer wire woudl be best - but on rough ground thats too expensive - ask the dvice boys how many i loose -:thumbdown- costing me a fortune. had to go back to the clipped down pulley for the ruff stuff
lol, i think it fair to say the the d-vices were never intended for rough work, though i think this would possibly be a better option if you were to try it,

the wires are stiff, but easily broken out if you have sensible mainline etc.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
The unit is getting out to the shops now, and over the next few weeks you should find most of the existing retailers stocking it.

I would also like to hijack this thread to say a big thankyou to both our customers and retailers who have been patiently awaiting us restocking them. The delay is a direct result of the credit crunch, as financing that was promised to us when the project began was withdrawn, forcing us to turn stock over completely to realise the capital needed to place new orders. What that has inadvertantly done though, is put us in a strong position to carry on doing what we do, bringing inovative designs to the market place, without carrying the burden of debt. Bring on the cod, because with the D-Gripper and one more variant that we are finalising the legal protections on mean they are in big trouble this autumn!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts