World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm a complete newbie to fishing. I picked up a bass rod and a fixed spool reel whilst on holiday in Cornwall, and fished for mackerel (with no success).

I live in Canterbury, and would like to go fishing tomorrow, at the afternoon high tide. I was hoping that someone would be able to point me in the direction of some good marks, and for what I should be fishing for (ie what hooks/bait I should use)? :help:

Also, if anyone could recommend a bait shop near the mark, that would be great.

I know this is probably one of a hundred posts of this kind, but thanks for reading :wave:

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the asylm.

First up, as for where to go, have you had a look at the sticky at the top of the page?
Or, what about going to one of the venues thats been mentioned in recent posts where the angler has been successfull?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
first trip out....mmm....try the "prince of wales pier" dover"....nice easy fishing ..£3.00 to fish...cafe and toilets on end...parking a bit dear at £5.20 for 8hrs ? ....unless you have a disable blue badge with which you can take your car on to pier..... 3 tackle shops along "snaregate street" .... i only have number for "bill's bait" and he is open at 7.30am on sundays....01304204542....post code..ct17 9da.....welcome to the forum.....jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys. Thanks for the advice about the pier at dover, it sounds promising. I'm giving the recent threads a read too, which are very informative. I'll let you all know where I decide to go, and if I get any luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stopped off at Cathedral Bait this morning, and bought myself a new rod and reel, on recommendation of the guy there - seemed a decent bloke. Headed down to the POW at about 3.

Got through a LOAD of lugworm, but nothing came of that. Caught 4 mackerel on feathers though, which I was really pleased about :)

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
Stopped off at Cathedral Bait this morning, and bought myself a new rod and reel, on recommendation of the guy there - seemed a decent bloke. Headed down to the POW at about 3.

Got through a LOAD of lugworm, but nothing came of that. Caught 4 mackerel on feathers though, which I was really pleased about :)
Nice to see you got out and had a go.
Piers are a good place to learn and watch what other anglers are doing
and dont be afraid to ask them questions.
Have a look at their tackle (fishing tackle that is lol ) Steve :fishing1:

·
Registered
543 Posts

well done on the mackerel fella and good luck the weekend

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Read, read, read and read some more.

Get out and practice.

Report on here.

:thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
next time you fish any pier try fshing a 2 boom rig or 2 hook flapper baited with ragworm down the wall or side, this will give you the chance of catching different mini species with the chance of pollock and bass, also rag,squid or fish baits at distance for other species...ie...dogfish,bass, whiting,flatties etc:fishing1:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.