World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It might seem a simple objective in buying a hand line but the dacron line I just bought and tried is a nightmare re tangling and it's 2mm thick.........

A better option was a cheap fly line but even that tangles as it is not a hard coating and is too soft an outer.

I see there are braids that are coated for Ice Fishing but I don't know if they are a thick enough diameter for hand lining re damage to the fingers through cutting?
The mono line I bought was also tangle prone due to the particular 1 mm diameter having a lot of 'memory'......

I have a 2mm polyprop sample in braided but see that it harbors water although I'm told the fibres are waterproof?

The thick coated braids as in fly lines may well be the best choice for none tangling when the hand liner needs to get their lures quickly back down to the fish instead of trying to undo the birds nest that seems to occur at the drop of a hat in the bottom of my boat......... My pal in the boat has the same experience...
I should like the truthful advice of a line expert that will suggest
what line I need so long as it's not as thick as a cloaths line my wife suggest might address my problem!

·
Registered
12,591 Posts
A hand line is the quickest way to put fish in the freezer apart from going round the corner to Sainsbury's.
Probably but this is an angling forum, not a commercial forum. Can`t be all that quick a method if it tangles all the time :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably but this is an angling forum, not a commercial forum. Can`t be all that quick a method if it tangles all the time :)
Your reply is impertinent due to the fact that you say that 'this is an angling forum' as if I didn't know !
I've most probably done more fishing with a rod (out of the 10 I possess) than I or you have had hot dinners.

It seems your reply is bases on the fact that you make rods and that you are clearly anti any other way of fishing. I have always got rods in my boat and on many occasions use them when the requirement arises but not until then.....

There was no need for the terse advice you gave - no way.... However there is always one. In this case the other answer was a silly one and I will not be drawn into a stupid ( that is what it is) argument.

·
Registered
12,591 Posts
Your reply is impertinent due to the fact that you say that 'this is an angling forum' as if I didn't know !
I've most probably done more fishing with a rod (out of the 10 I possess) than I or you have had hot dinners.

It seems your reply is bases on the fact that you make rods and that you are clearly anti any other way of fishing. I have always got rods in my boat and on many occasions use them when the requirement arises but not until then.....

There was no need for the terse advice you gave - no way.... However there is always one. In this case the other answer was a silly one and I will not be drawn into a stupid ( that is what it is) argument.

Fair enough, you know best. You might just lose any bet on the amount of fishing I`ve done with rods over 60+ years against hot dinner consumed. Just for info mind you I am not against any type of fishing other than rod & line, have no opinion either way. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fair enough, you know best. You might just lose any bet on the amount of fishing I`ve done with rods over 60+ years against hot dinner consumed. Just for info mind you I am not against any type of fishing other than rod & line, have no opinion either way. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I am not arguing in any way with you regarding the amount of fishing with a rod you've done and incidentally my request was for information about a line 'out there' that does not tangle --- and only that..
If you think about all those kids you and millions of other observers have seen on millions of occasions 'fishing' with a hand line you would rebuke them and tell them they are not fishing??????????????????????
I would say to any one of that ilk =think again please.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
There are loads of varieties of nylon handline available through commercial outlets, perhaps try one of those. We buy the commercial handline nylon to make traces for some of our shark species, as it is extremely hard wearing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have always enjoyed using a handline. A lot of skills involved and a very tactile experience.

Hope that link worked, that boy really has a great sense of how to play a fish!
Than you so much for the two informing replies. I did not think I would offend anyone regarding my use of hand line FISHING but 'there you go'! When I am hand lining any one would think that with my experience of fishing nigh on 70 years 'hands on' I wouldn't need to put a question on this fishing forum as to what line I should choose to prevent tangles now should I but there you are ---two very nice educational replies which I'll have the pleasure of researching.... Thanks a million - both!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brilliant video and most entertaining to watch---- now that's "FISHING" in the true sense but I must say the lad would have been helped by using a decent well chosen rod...... and may I ask where's the landing net???????? Don't need one he replied as he hauled the giant into the boat on the 50 bs line!!!!! Keep an open mind and learn from those with the experience to do what they do is the best
policy at all times!

I must say this----I once said to Arthur Oglesby, my fishing pal here does not believe I have caught salmon and sea trout with a bare hook on a genuine take........"Oh yes he said - I've done it" I retorted we are both members of the unofficial "bare hook club then" are we not.....?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I must say this----I once said to Arthur Oglesby, my fishing pal here does not believe I have caught salmon and sea trout with a bare hook on a genuine take........"Oh yes he said - I've done it" I retorted we are both members of the unofficial "bare hook club then" are we not.....?
Yup!!! I have had brown trout on a size 16 gold hook twitched along the bottom, the "induced take". In Denmark I found the shore fishing for codling too easy with bait, again just twitching a bare hook caught plenty. Mackerel ! (who needs lures?)

Even had a good sized grey mullet on a bare hook, but that was cheating! It was basking in the sun next to a bridge support, so I dangled a small hook in front of its mouth until it "breathed" it in! I would do anything except outright foul-hooking to get the fish!

The level of fun increases with the limitations you set on your fishing techniques. Primitive "rules of engagement" when you want some fun!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup!!! I have had brown trout on a size 16 gold hook twitched along the bottom, the "induced take". In Denmark I found the shore fishing for codling too easy with bait, again just twitching a bare hook caught plenty. Mackerel ! (who needs lures?)

Even had a good sized grey mullet on a bare hook, but that was cheating! It was basking in the sun next to a bridge support, so I dangled a small hook in front of its mouth until it "breathed" it in! I would do anything except outright foul-hooking to get the fish!

The level of fun increases with the limitations you set on your fishing techniques. Primitive "rules of engagement" when you want some fun!
You are one of only a few because it took me donkey's tears to get 'some' of my pals to believe me. I was asked what did you hook that one on by a cracking fisher pal and I replied small worm.... He immediately told me F off I saw you hook that on a bare hook....... he told me he couldn't believe what he saw and sure enough the stewart tackle was firmly in the roof of that samon's mouth.... Not a shread of bait on it but as you say =the induced take...... once learned never forgotten. I know I'm off the hand line subject but what got me going 40 + years ago was Oliver Kite who caught the uncatchable trout in gin clear water by twisting the fly line so as to get the bare hook to behave in an unusual manner..... It intrigue me and induced me to think again about what colour fly to use = any or even none and especially when the fish are 'coming short' = ie they need something that is very illusive that we can hardly see......
How incredible fish are to see and off the mark catch no matter how fast we fish that hook!
Oglesby = "the illusion of life" quote = how true.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Than you so much for the two informing replies. I did not think I would offend anyone regarding my use of hand line FISHING but 'there you go'! When I am hand lining any one would think that with my experience of fishing nigh on 70 years 'hands on' I wouldn't need to put a question on this fishing forum as to what line I should choose to prevent tangles now should I but there you are ---two very nice educational replies which I'll have the pleasure of researching.... Thanks a million - both!
Why are you getting so up tight, old saying if you don't like the answer don't ask the question.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts