World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Following a most enjoyable solo session last Thursday at Weybourne, where I was fortunate to land 7 fit and shiny silver bars between 40 and 49cm, I was keen for another trip before the wicked witch of the north blows her devilement and sends the remaining Bass south until next spring.

Turns out I was not alone and courtesy of this website, on Sunday I finally got to meet up and fish with Tim aka grove281, as he too was keen on having a cast for October Bass.

So, after meeting and greeting in the Weybourne beach car park we set off together on a 15 minute shingle trudge to the intended mark. I was slightly concerned as to whether or not they'd still be present, as although Swallows don't all depart for Africa at the same time and do in fact leave in stages, you don't really notice this, you simply one day realise they've all gone! Well 2.5 hours into the session and without a fish between us, I was still nonetheless confident that we would catch Bass, as with a sea that crashed on the shingle quite loudly and both high water and sunset coinciding it held so much promise.

Tim was sitting on the shingle near to my rods while I sat on my box, we chatted while both drinking a can of rather enjoyable cider that he had kindly brought for each of us, which I must say made a most pleasant change from my flask of strong black coffee. When suddenly he jumped to his feet and ran in the direction of his crazily bouncing rod, I followed but at a somewhat more sedated pace. As we were casting very close to shore, it didn't take long before swirls were seen in the waves. It was at this point you realise as to whether someone is a good angler or not, as a poor angler would panic and simply try to drag the fish from the water and probably lose it, no chance of that here though, as Tim played the fish expertly in the surf and inched it closer until finally it was beaten and coaxed ashore on a surging wave. At this point I was about to grab the line and gently ease it up the steep shingle slope, but Tim had other ideas, he dropped the rod and hurtled down the slope, grabbed the Bass and simultaneously filled his wellies with water.

Bass unhooked, he carried it up to my peg as that was where the scales and weigh net were. When we got there I noticed that the line on my left rod was completely slack, I picked it up and wound down to just a lead and a completely smashed squid, bugga!

Still we had this one to weigh, after subtracting the weigh sling the fish was just 3oz shy of 6lb and in cracking condition. Personally I return virtually all of my Bass. Tim however was under instruction to bring home a Bass for tea, so I was expecting him to dispatch it, however he decided it was just too special to kill and released it, getting another bootfull of North sea in the process.

We fished on and chatted, I caught a couple of Bass but my biggest wasn't even half the weight of Tim's. I did offer him that particular fish to take home to his good lady, but he elected to wait for one of his own. So consequently he kindly returned the fish for me and in doing so somehow managed to fill his wellies for a third time. We were on the verge of history here and shortly after it was made, when a tip light he attached to his rod fell off on the cast and landed in the surf, he got it back but in the process filled his boots yet again!

The Tings turned up after dark, we had half dozen, but no more Bass. So the long walk back to the car was squelched. Tim had no dry clothes with him and drove home in his wellies, toes no doubt resembling 8 year old figs?

A most highly enjoyable and successful angling session with a new friend, who turns out to not only be a fine angler and all round good bloke, but also potentially the world record holder for the most welly fulls of water ever! 馃榿

Water Smile Sky Vertebrate Fish

A stunning fish, well done boi 馃憦 馃憤

Registered
Beauty! Welldone!!!

Reactions: Sole intentions

Registered
Following a most enjoyable solo session last Thursday at Weybourne, where I was fortunate to land 7 fit and shiny silver bars between 40 and 49cm, I was keen for another trip before the wicked witch of the north blows her devilement and sends the remaining Bass south until next spring.

Turns out I was not alone and courtesy of this website, on Sunday I finally got to meet up and fish with Tim aka grove281, as he too was keen on having a cast for October Bass.

So, after meeting and greeting in the Weybourne beach car park we set off together on a 15 minute shingle trudge to the intended mark. I was slightly concerned as to whether or not they'd still be present, as although Swallows don't all depart for Africa at the same time and do in fact leave in stages, you don't really notice this, you simply one day realise they've all gone! Well 2.5 hours into the session and without a fish between us, I was still nonetheless confident that we would catch Bass, as with a sea that crashed on the shingle quite loudly and both high water and sunset coinciding it held so much promise.

Tim was sitting on the shingle near to my rods while I sat on my box, we chatted while both drinking a can of rather enjoyable cider that he had kindly brought for each of us, which I must say made a most pleasant change from my flask of strong black coffee. When suddenly he jumped to his feet and ran in the direction of his crazily bouncing rod, I followed but at a somewhat more sedated pace. As we were casting very close to shore, it didn't take long before swirls were seen in the waves. It was at this point you realise as to whether someone is a good angler or not, as a poor angler would panic and simply try to drag the fish from the water and probably lose it, no chance of that here though, as Tim played the fish expertly in the surf and inched it closer until finally it was beaten and coaxed ashore on a surging wave. At this point I was about to grab the line and gently ease it up the steep shingle slope, but Tim had other ideas, he dropped the rod and hurtled down the slope, grabbed the Bass and simultaneously filled his wellies with water.

Bass unhooked, he carried it up to my peg as that was where the scales and weigh net were. When we got there I noticed that the line on my left rod was completely slack, I picked it up and wound down to just a lead and a completely smashed squid, bugga!

Still we had this one to weigh, after subtracting the weigh sling the fish was just 3oz shy of 6lb and in cracking condition. Personally I return virtually all of my Bass. Tim however was under instruction to bring home a Bass for tea, so I was expecting him to dispatch it, however he decided it was just too special to kill and released it, getting another bootfull of North sea in the process.

We fished on and chatted, I caught a couple of Bass but my biggest wasn't even half the weight of Tim's. I did offer him that particular fish to take home to his good lady, but he elected to wait for one of his own. So consequently he kindly returned the fish for me and in doing so somehow managed to fill his wellies for a third time. We were on the verge of history here and shortly after it was made, when a tip light he attached to his rod fell off on the cast and landed in the surf, he got it back but in the process filled his boots yet again!

The Tings turned up after dark, we had half dozen, but no more Bass. So the long walk back to the car was squelched. Tim had no dry clothes with him and drove home in his wellies, toes no doubt resembling 8 year old figs?

A most highly enjoyable and successful angling session with a new friend, who turns out to not only be a fine angler and all round good bloke, but also potentially the world record holder for the most welly fulls of water ever! 馃榿

View attachment 1374881

A stunning fish, well done boi 馃憦 馃憤
A great read as always Alan. Well done Tim on a cracking bass. Can someone please buy Tim some waders.

Registered
Well done Tim, that's a fine looking fish.

Alan , thank you for another thoroughly enjoyable read, that's an impressive record to hold........to fill wellies so often and consistently in one session....... I think Dan Te is a close 2nd for filling up chesties ....

Registered
Great write kept on your toes right to end especially with the story heading, oh and well down on the bass and releasing it to fight another day hopefully someone else will get the same thrill of catching as your mate did.
Bert(old yin)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts