World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the light winds and a cracking forecast we nipped out of Brighton marina this morning just to fish the flood. Not too sure if the cod had arrived on the ground marks, we took a punt at a new mark to us at 8nm from home.
Anchored up as the first of the tide kicked in and found crufts under the boat. Doggie after doggie for the first hour, then the first proper bite on a whole cuttle with a pile of blacks whipped to it produced cod number one for this winter, about 7lb, it was very welcome. Then a weird bite that didn't look like a cod or a dog turned into a hard tussle in the tide and the culprit turned out to be bull Huss of 12lb ish. A nice surprise as I've never had a decent one before. Then another cod on the cuttle, and another straight after, but that came adrift after a few minutes.

I tried a flapper mackerel for the Huss, and a few minutes wait produced a mega take that had me hanging on tight as a fish stripped line from the reel. This fish didn't fancy a trip to the boat and after a little tug of war it threw the hook. Once I had calmed down and reeled the gear in, it was an obvious Tope, going by the state of the mackerel .

The doggies returned as the tide eased, so we took a punt on a bit of lure fishing on a couple of wrecks on the way home which produced a few bass and a big old wrasse, so we ended up with a real mixed bag.

Looks like the codding has finally got going on the open ground, but there is still plenty of bass to be had if you don't fancy sitting it out.

Raider

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Nice one Tony!! A real mixed bag.

We had nothing to report :-( but we only managed a few hours today, mainly inshore.

By a few accounts, it seems there were a lot of bass about today.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice one Tony!! A real mixed bag.

We had nothing to report :-( but we only managed a few hours today, mainly inshore.

By a few accounts, it seems there were a lot of bass about today.
Bundles of Bass over the wrecks we visited mate. The pro guys were having two or three each on every drift. Same thing happened last year, so it seems to be the time of year that they shoal up and get ready to set of for warmer waters.

Raider

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Bundles of Bass over the wrecks we visited mate. The pro guys were having two or three each on every drift. Same thing happened last year, so it seems to be the time of year that they shoal up and get ready to set of for warmer waters.

Raider
That makes me feel better!! Not.
Hope the winds dont come tomorrow and that we fix the fault with my motor... then its bass hunting for me too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
thats good to hear ,im fishing with terry on the seabreeze on tuesday, he said we would be anchoring for cod,but high tide is about half six so we wont have any flood ,and fishing low mostly.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats good to hear ,im fishing with terry on the seabreeze on tuesday, he said we would be anchoring for cod,but high tide is about half six so we wont have any flood ,and fishing low mostly.
I don't think you need to worry about the high water mate, provided you have a reasonable run of tide, I'm sure Terry will find a few for you. Make sure you have plenty of cuttle, as the pout and dogs are a bloody pain, even a lump of bait the size of your hand was getting destroyed in a few minutes.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
raider sounds like a great day out with a mixed bag and a pb. ive heard that theres LOTS of bass showing. im out next week so hope the weather plays ball. (doubt it though.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.