World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, there I've been using fluro on the hook length when using the float and a fluro leader when using the spinning gear and I have had the same phenomena happen. Every time I have had a decent fish on say about 5lb my 15lb fluro breaks just below the leader knot. On the float I'm using 15lb mono and 15lb fluro and on the lure rod, I'm using a combination of 13lb and 18lb braid with 15lb fluro. I've tried both the spiderwire fluro and stren and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do as a temp measure went back to mono leaders, so I'm wondering if anyone has a solution to this or has an alternate leader to either mono or fluro I haven't considered, many thanks

Alexander

· Registered
5,865 Posts
Your knot is the issue.
Fluro tends to slip more than mono. Make sure your knots are 100% and use lots of moisture when pulling together, not just when pulling tight. Fluro will over heat when pulled in the knot and then fail. Much easier to see on low dia fluro so prob only why you're seeing it on bigger fish.

· Registered
12,675 Posts
that's really interesting bud. After seeing your video I did some raking about and found this article and it was very insightful. wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on it.
Had a quick look but will go over it again later, it certainly looks interesting and backs much of what I've said on here for years.

I took several different fluro lines ( 5 ) and 5 mono's to a depth of 34 m on scuba to see how they all compared to the human eye. Funny enough all the lines were easy to see with and without led dive lights. Nowhere have I found the science where fishes eyesight has been tested for fluro, the fact fish have such different sight among species makes invisible to fish even more doubtful.

Catch tests in side by side rigs on popular species such as snapper and bream actually showed a higher catch rate for us using mono.

Knot strength for someone like myself that likes to fish very light means having to use fluro way heavier than mono to maintain knot strength. Gently teasing and wetting knots in an upside down looking uni knot I found on YouTube did slightly improve the fluro knot strength. The fact I had to use almost double the strength fluro reduced finicky fish. No problem if you are targeting bass with 20-30 lb leaders and 1 lb of drag like most who swear by it.

One of my biggest gripes is the fact there is so much plastic waste using a spool for just 25 yards or so. Even bulk spools of 50 or 100 are pretty wasteful. The final nail in the coffin for me is the price, why pay more for 100m than I can buy 1000m of a quality mono such as mamoi.

These are my own opinions, I'm fortunate enough to catch hard fighting fish regularly in good numbers. I also regularly try out things I've not been impressed with in the past and will happily test out more fluro, just not on a day where the catch is important to me.

· Registered
52 Posts
Sounds like failure due to friction. I use the GT knot to tie flourocarbon to braid and have never had a knot fail for the reasons your suffering. It's a canny knot to master but as soon as you get the knack it's easy.

The flourocarbon is lashed to the braid so the knot is almost frictionless when tightening.

GT knot

· Registered
12,675 Posts
Sounds like failure due to friction. I use the GT knot to tie flourocarbon to braid and have never had a knot fail for the reasons your suffering. It's a canny knot to master but as soon as you get the knack it's easy.

The flourocarbon is lashed to the braid so the knot is almost frictionless when tightening.

GT knot

What strength fluro are you using ?

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had a quick look but will go over it again later, it certainly looks interesting and backs much of what I've said on here for years.

I took several different fluro lines ( 5 ) and 5 mono's to a depth of 34 m on scuba to see how they all compared to the human eye. Funny enough all the lines were easy to see with and without led dive lights. Nowhere have I found the science where fishes eyesight has been tested for fluro, the fact fish have such different sight among species makes invisible to fish even more doubtful.

Catch tests in side by side rigs on popular species such as snapper and bream actually showed a higher catch rate for us using mono.

Knot strength for someone like myself that likes to fish very light means having to use fluro way heavier than mono to maintain knot strength. Gently teasing and wetting knots in an upside down looking uni knot I found on YouTube did slightly improve the fluro knot strength. The fact I had to use almost double the strength fluro reduced finicky fish. No problem if you are targeting bass with 20-30 lb leaders and 1 lb of drag like most who swear by it.

One of my biggest gripes is the fact there is so much plastic waste using a spool for just 25 yards or so. Even bulk spools of 50 or 100 are pretty wasteful. The final nail in the coffin for me is the price, why pay more for 100m than I can buy 1000m of a quality mono such as mamoi.

These are my own opinions, I'm fortunate enough to catch hard fighting fish regularly in good numbers. I also regularly try out things I've not been impressed with in the past and will happily test out more fluro, just not on a day where the catch is important to me.
thanks for getting back to me. Your reply is somewhat insightful.....I've had 15lb fluro break on me just below the knot where the knot would be sliding up the line with as little as a 4lb pollock.....your reply I think has made me think long and hard and along with that article I think I'm just gonna go back to mono for the leader..its seems the easiest, strongest option of the lot plus a lot lighter on the pocket. Thank you so much for reading the article that you sent me and any other insights you have after looking in depth at the article please send them my way. Your knowledge and patience in replying to me were gratefully received.

Alex

PS agree with you on the plastic waste :)

· Registered
18,242 Posts
thanks for getting back to me. Your reply is somewhat insightful.....I've had 15lb fluro break on me just below the knot where the knot would be sliding up the line with as little as a 4lb pollock.....your reply I think has made me think long and hard and along with that article I think I'm just gonna go back to mono for the leader..its seems the easiest, strongest option of the lot plus a lot lighter on the pocket. Thank you so much for reading the article that you sent me and any other insights you have after looking in depth at the article please send them my way. Your knowledge and patience in replying to me were gratefully received.

Alex

Hi Alex
There’s nothing from with fluorocarbon m8 but you seem to have a separate issue for which I’m stumped. Don’t get me wrong it’s certainly not the be all and end all but it has its place in lure fishing as does mono.
I genuinely think it’s all down to preference and if your not comfortable using it then yes switch to mono. I think certain companies make claims as to their products being the best but I’d like to see the scientific research in to the invisibility part. I also use spiderwire in 15lb on 20lb braid and have to say although I find it’s not the best Iv never had an issue with it. Partly the only reason I bought it was I was heading to work abroad and the chap guaranteed I’d have it the next day. Did you buy from a reputable dealer ?
Is there an off chance your product is fake ?
Have you tried snapping it by hand to test how much resistance you get ?

· Registered
12,675 Posts

Alex

Don't go ditching the fluro, as you can do a few tricks to improve knot strength. When I had it fail at the knot I doubled the line through what ever I was tieing too, there are videos showing a few different knots.

In all honesty when you have to mess with knots that waste an extra 8-10 inches on such expensive line that for me didn't improve the catch rate just seemed pointless.

I know many on here are happy using it and claim to have no breakages, which may be true partly because the line never gets pushed hard. If people are using 20lb fluro flicking lures for bass etc I very much doubt they will be applying more than 2lb of drag on the fish. Simply lift 2lb of lead on a bass spin outfit or beach rod and you will know what I mean, be careful if you do try as some rods won't handle it. With that in mind you can see why many don't have issues.

We are using mono of 4lb on fish where we are using 2lb drag settings, the fish are very tough fighters in comparison with bass etc. I believe if people used their 20lb fluro with 10lb drag settings on fish that pulled line back they would soon fine faults with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.