World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The day of our eagerly awaited Amlwch boat trip on board Kerri Kim finally dawned and amazingly when I woke up it wasn’t raining or blowing a gale! After our first ever visit to Tellboys Tackle for some bait (where we received some excellent service :thumbs:), we arrived at the port to find it slightly overcast but nice and calm with barely a breath of wind, despite the cloud it was still nice and warm and as we steamed out to our first mark of the day even the clouds seemed to be clearing :sun:.

We started off the day by drifting the wrecks and although sport wasn’t exactly a full house on every drift we managed a few nice Pollack to around the 6lb mark :fishing:, Steve A (The original Goldenb***s :laugh:) was definitely the top rod here with a small red Redgill doing the damage, despite others using exactly the same lure we just couldn’t keep up with him.

Next up as the ebb tide eased we anchored up in about 185ft of water, by now the sun was shining and we were finally getting a small taste of summer. Everyone on board hoped for a tope but sadly and perhaps due to the mackerel being a bit scarce, the tope were a bit thin on the ground too so we only managed one between us :sad:, following on from his successful Aberdovey trip it was Glyn our club chairman (rapidly becoming the new Goldenb***s!) who did the honours :clap:. We made up for the lack of tope by boating some nice huss to 14lb and a decent Thornback ray

And determined not to lose his nickname of the original and best, Steve A managed to winkle out a spurdog :notworthy, even Pat the skipper was impressed as he said spurs are as rare as rocking horse s**t on this side of the island :laugh:

At one point I thought I had something very tasty hooked but after 10 minutes of pumping it towards the boat from 185ft down, by which time my arms felt like they were being pulled out of their sockets, we realised that I hadn’t hooked anything myself but I had snagged 2 of the other lines, each with a double figure huss attached! :doh: I was totally knackered by that point so I let the lads reel in their own fish the rest of the way :laugh:. Sadly the flood tide was really building by now and we were struggling to hold bottom with 12oz of lead so we upped anchor and headed out to deeper water to end the day with some more wrecking.

The sport wasn’t as good as it had been earlier in the day but we managed to boat a few more pollack to give everyone enough for a substantial feed. After this we headed back to port to find a beautiful sunny and calm evening, finally I had seen Amlwch port when in wasn’t raining :laugh:. Typically for a British summer this lovely weather wasn’t to last and as we drove home it got gradually more cloudy, at Benllech a light drizzle was falling and by the time we got home it was pouring down with rain, the Mrs couldn’t believe I had got sunburnt while it had rained all day in Pen, for once we had been lucky with the weather and it just goes to prove that the sun even shines on a dogs a**e some days! :sun:

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Andy and crew,
Nice report, piccys and fishing.
Glad the rain held off but it seemed to be waiting to welcome you home.
Sure your misses does a rain dance to get you home early...lol.
Coastman

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Nice report and pics, well done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts