World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well it got me thinkin the other day when i was lobbing out some feathers i had a 2oz weight on the end and was getting a decent distance so i thought a 60g dexter wedge is 2oz :) so i was thinkin maybe 2 or 3 feathers and a wedge on the end or a yann

·
Registered
730 Posts
tried it meself a few times, 50g dexter wedge and 12' beach caster - worked fine, no fish tho' but that's not unusual ...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
if its a stiffish beachcaster (3-6oz etc)then go up in weight, you can easily source dexters up to about 150grams (maybe heavier) on the internet, i regularly use a 110gram dexter with feathers and the distance loss is only slight as apposed to a weight.

Ross

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I use a 80g dexter type wedge on the end of my feathers, that way you can stock up on bait and have a chance of a bass.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
could you use a heavy spinner on a beachcaster rod from a pier ?
You don't need to use a heavy spinner to fish with a beach caster, just use a simple paternoster rig with a plain lead for weight and longish snood. Tie the spinner, artificial sandeel or any other type of lure you fancy to the snood.

I still use this method occasionally to fish beyond the range of conventional spinning gear. This is not a crude method of lure fishing, when the fish are at distance it is a winning method.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
You don't need to use a heavy spinner to fish with a beach caster, just use a simple paternoster rig with a plain lead for weight and longish snood. Tie the spinner, artificial sandeel or any other type of lure you fancy to the snood.

I still use this method occasionally to fish beyond the range of conventional spinning gear. This is not a crude method of lure fishing, when the fish are at distance it is a winning method.
Excellent idea Phil. So the fish may take on the retrieve I suppose???

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

nice idea.
so do you then retrieve or leave to dangle/move about under water as an ordinary bait in the hope of a bite ?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
In answer to the above questions you retrieve the lure as you would normally. The limitation with the method described is that the weight of lead makes it difficult to fish high in the water. As I usually fish near the bottom this is not a problem but it would be quite feasable to use a flat lead which would rise up in the water.

I have fished using this method over rough ground for pollack and although you do loose an odd lead (and Lure) it is not too bad as the lead quite often bounces off the rocks without snagging. It is best to increase the distance between the lead and snood a bit to stop the lure snagging.

I've mostly fished using a bass rod and 3oz weight which can be kept off the bottom more easily. Fish from clean beaches there is no problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts