World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not alot to report. . was hard work lol ...muddy . . and kids wasnt keen. . but in between all the whinging and moaning . i winkled out a pb plaice ...happy with that .

not to shabby for first go / .
but i think i need a little advice on best times to fish these areas. as the sea did one.. and was sat a while waiting for it to start filling in agan lol .

till next
tojo

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's a cracking Plaice!! I only ever fish Mostyn 2 hours either side of low, not a lot of water there but still some nice fish to go at, when the tide floods over the sandbank on far side the current gets really strong. I think some people do fish it high water but I've never tried it. I'm led to believe that far left near the docks it can be good for conger, but I've never fished that far left. Main target here is Dabs, flounder and Whiting, but I've only fished it in winter and sometimes can produce half decent Codling. After seeing that Plaice I think it's time I try it this time of year now!!

G

·
Lovely fish that. Thanks for reporting..

Where did you access the mark if you don't mind me asking? I thought it was all closed off to the public. I fancy a wander down there myself TBH but it's a bit of a trek and I don't want a wasted journey lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
I drove past on Monday and saw a car driving over the small bridge and didn't see any work vehicles, I last fished there just before Christmas and I parked in the small lay-by by on main road by the bell tower thingy!.. Walk wasn't too bad from there. There's a small footpath near the docks too which was blocked off before Christmas but looked open on Monday, I've never used the footpath though but I believe it leads down to the dock side of the mark.

·
Registered
164 Posts
well done on the fish and puting up with 3 kids as well. when i take my lad fishing i near end up drowning the little git. aways saying are we going yet dad just wonts to get back on is bloody xbox lol mind u he sometimes catchs the first fish

G

·
The plaice feed on seed cockle over on the banks, They have to fall back into the channel as the tide drops,so are more concentrated then. The problem is that by the time they drop back they are already stuffed with food. Maybe it's better if you keep the bait moving a bit to tempt them, and maybe use a spoon just above the bait. We fish there commercially and most fish are caught on the first of the flood, AND the flood in Mostyn usually comes 7 hours after h/w. Most of the plaice are in poor condition just now after spawning, we don't bother with them until mid June and they get a bit of weight back on them.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Thanks for the report and well done on a cracking pb plaice.:clap3:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The plaice feed on seed cockle over on the banks, They have to fall back into the channel as the tide drops,so are more concentrated then. The problem is that by the time they drop back they are already stuffed with food. Maybe it's better if you keep the bait moving a bit to tempt them, and maybe use a spoon just above the bait. We fish there commercially and most fish are caught on the first of the flood, AND the flood in Mostyn usually comes 7 hours after h/w. Most of the plaice are in poor condition just now after spawning, we don't bother with them until mid June and they get a bit of weight back on them.

i think i got the time wrong . but i landed an hour an half before low. . thats when i had the fish as the channel was emptying. . . . i waited for it to flood again . . and did an hour . before kids drove me mental . .but there was lots of weed and stuff at this time . . so i need to know probably best time to go . but i have seen afew post and some are like mine at low and some are on full tide. . so just looking for a in the middle lol .
and thanks :victory:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts