World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided to try the shingle last night, cashing in on the aftermath of the surge tide and onshore winds to make the most of the dying waves.

Couple of cars in the car park, people sitting in them talking on their phones. Climbed over the ridge to see a few fishing perched high on the shingle usually where the highest of the 5 ridges are. That was the first shock, the shingle was one continuous slope, no ridges.

Walked left intending to fish left of the wreck. Stray gusts of wind along the top of the cliff changed my idea of fishing the wreck. I opted instead to drop down the cliff into a recently formed cove.
I knew the surge was a one off, had been and gone. Prior to leaving the house I'd looked at the real time tide site. It showed the effect the current high pressure system was having on reducing the tide height.
I was unsure how far up the newly flattened beach this tide would come. I made sure there was a way off the beach behind me. :)

Setting up and looking to sea , ahead of me, in the headlamps beam a 3ft rhythmic dump did its best to scour the shingle, moving tons at a time to re-sculpt the beach.
I'm always in awe of the sheer dynamics of how wind, tide, waves and drift move, change and form a beach. Amazing processes, all.
I could see the first ridge being reformed in front of my eyes.

Two hours before high water the first baited rig went out, 2 fresh yellowtails skewered on pennel 3/0 hooks incorporated into an up and over rig. Followed minutes later by the same 3/0 sakuma mantas baited with 2 more yellowtails on a paternoster set up. I was thinking murky, milky water, required scent.

Secretly I hoped for a unicorn. Instead I got obligatory whiting. They were there in their hordes, bites within minutes of the bait touching the surface. For a brief 20 minute period the typical rattling bites ceased, raising my hopes for something other than whiting but it was not to be.
I packed away at midnight, having had 36 whiting, 34 of which were in size along with a solitary moderate sized pout. biggest whiting was 38 cm.

The water never got close to my cove but still I was glad I'd assessed it in my head before settling in.

So many broken shells on the high water mark; crab shells, lobster claws, whelks, slipper limpits among those easily identified, along with numbers of 3 inch whiting, some starfish, driftwood flotsam and jetsam. Even saw the partial remains of warning signs blown in and transported from Salthouse, I recalled the wording from previous trips.
Some weed on the shingle but not problematic while fishing.
Did reel in some mangled meaty looking stuff on the line which I though could be wave churned raw crab or lobster meat, but still dont know what it actually was.

Oh well the search continues
Stay safe, tight lines

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Smashing report there boi Jeff. So full of detail and factual information, left me wishing I had been there to observe all that interesting jetsam.

Regarding that 'stringy stuff' upon the line. I've experienced similar at Caister in the past following a stormy sea and in those cases it was Razorfish meat, with shattered shells all over the place. Have picked them up and bound a dozen or so to the hook and caught Bass upon them. 😉

Must have been a wonderful start to your birthday, l mean what more could any man wish for, other than a double shot of Tings 5 minutes into his big day!? 🤔😂🎂

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Great report and well done on being so careful, it would be good if everybody was also. We could do with some of those better whiting in the Yarmouth area!
To a certain degree anglers have to be safety conscious, assessing risk, taking decisions and planning ahead and being prepared to change those plans in real time while fishing. Lets be blunt here, if an angler didnt plan ahead and act accordingly Darwinian selection would take over. That and testing the emergency services putting their lives at risk to extract anglers from avoidable situations.
I'm surprised at the lack of better sized whiting off Yarmouth, usually found a better stamp there than elsewhere.
If I knew how I would happily send the hordes there. :)
Smashing report there boi Jeff. So full of detail and factual information, left me wishing I had been there to observe all that interesting jetsam.

Regarding that 'stringy stuff' upon the line. I've experienced similar at Caister in the past following a stormy sea and in those cases it was Razorfish meat, with shattered shells all over the place. Have picked them up and bound a dozen or so to the hook and caught Bass upon them. 😉

Must have been a wonderful start to your birthday, l mean what more could any man wish for, other than a double shot of Tings 5 minutes into his big day!? 🤔😂🎂
Thank you Boi. felt like writing up a session. Got disenchanted with writing reports by argumentative comments insisting I name locations in my reports. My write up, my choice enough said. Moving on.

There were some interesting "bits" among the jetsam. One lobster claw was so big it left me thinking I didnt want to meet its owner. Would be like something out of an 80's horror movie. You know the plot, animals mutating due to exposure to nuclear radiation. Must have been huge. Doubt I would have had a pot big enough anyway.
There was an area where 3 inch whiting were stranded en-masse on the shingle akin to whitebait in mackerel season, guessing a big wave caught a shoal, deposited them on the beach and left them there to die.
Did see a high number of empty ray egg cases; I discovered later they were thornback.

You would have enjoyed beach combing, you definately would have hated the fishing though. Ting after ting after ting :D Wonderful start to a birthday, but at least I was out enjoying myself on an active beach, one that was fishable unlike the very short evening session previous.:)

Like you, I've encountered razor meat hanging on the line after a good storm, this stuff was different.
Multi-coloured strands between 6 and 10 inches long, bleached, red, white, pink, tinges of blue; all in there. It had the appearance of sinews or elongated muscle. It seemed to long for razor meat. Thankfully it didnt stink so must have been relatively recent. At one point I did think about the windsurfer who went missing last week. (back to Martins earlier point), but dont think so. Might have been dead seal being broken up by the big waves the night previous.
Another mystery in the great tapestry :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts