World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to do some shore/rock fishing for mackerel with a trace of 3 feathers, around Broad Haven in Pembrokeshire. I have a 7ft spinning rod and a fixed spool reel.

Is a 4oz weight too heavy or is that what I'll need to cast out a reasonable distance? Do I just attach the weight at the very end of the line just by putting the line loop through the weight eye and then looping it round the bottom of the weight and pulling it secure? At do I just attach the trace to the main line directly or should I use a swivel?

Thanks for helping a beginner!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Palmtree said:
I'm going to do some shore/rock fishing for mackerel with a trace of 3 feathers, around Broad Haven in Pembrokeshire. I have a 7ft spinning rod and a fixed spool reel.

Is a 4oz weight too heavy or is that what I'll need to cast out a reasonable distance? Do I just attach the weight at the very end of the line just by putting the line loop through the weight eye and then looping it round the bottom of the weight and pulling it secure? At do I just attach the trace to the main line directly or should I use a swivel?

Thanks for helping a beginner!
Welcome to the forum Palmtree

You say you are using a 7ft spinning rod, a 4 oz weight would probably be to much to try and cast with. If you want to use feathers then I would suggest you cut the traces down to 2 feathers and use a light lead suited to the casting rate of your rod. Using a swivel to attach to your main line is recomended.

Alternitavely try using spinners like abu toby's and abu kosters. If you are coming to Pembrokeshire then call in to Pembroke angling in Pembroke dock, you will find packs of 5 imitation toby's for £4.99 very good value. Or call in to Saundersfoot tackle shop where they have abu kosters for £1.30 for 28g and £1.50 for 40g

Are you fishing braod haven south or north?

If you are fishing south then head to the bottom right of the car park and head over to the right to the range security hut (which is a white box clearly seen from the car park) and there is a good mark below this called "star Rock" here you will catch the usual species of Makerel, medium size Pollack, Garfish and the occasional bass.

If you want any further info on fishing around there then let me know.

Tight lines

GB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice GB, I'll pick up some tobys/kosters as you suggest.

We are at Broad Haven North although I've printed off your advice re BH Sth in case we go that way for the day.

Might also try ledgering for flatfish. What's the best bait and way to present it? I need illustrations to see how to rig-up and I know there are some on this website but I'm a bit unsure of all the 'clipped-up, clipped down, paternoster, wishbone, etc. Which one should I start with as a basic rig to fish on the bottom from the shore/rocks?

Thanks again for helping me.

Palmtree

1 - 3 of 3 Posts