World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed to spend 2 and a half days up Fort William way this week. Arrived Wed about 11am and had a potter about in the car park. My daughter caught loads of tiny pollock but my son and I blanked. After lunch moved on to Corpach where we were staying. Fished for a couple of hours either side of high tide but again just small Pollack. Out earlyish and tried Corpach again. To my surprise pulled in 3 Mackerel but nothing else doing.
Picked up my brother from the bus station and headed down to the picnic site where all that happened was a lot of lost gear. Decided to try Lochaline but I think we were fishing on the wrong pier. We were next to the ferry - again very snaggy.
Back to Corpach for the evening and we started to pull in some Pollack between 1 and 2 lbs. (on feathers). Same again next morning plus a 2lb Coalfish on Mackie bait. All in all the weather was pretty good, the scenery fantastic and we caught a few fish towards the end. Can't be bad.
Allan

·
Registered
157 Posts
Loch Aline is best fished from logging peir near dive centre. It is snaggy too but ok in the middle. Big tides can limit fishing to slack water as its hard to hold bottom in big tide flow. (Best to select a period of small tides.) Big grip leads dont hold in a big tide and get washed to the side and into snaggs... Big fish can be had but work out how you are going to land them safely before you get started. Spurs and congers with can be encountered so strong wire hook lengths are recommended to avoid a bite off.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

Re Lochaline.. you were on the old Stone Pier it can fish well but as you found out you are fishing into a solid kelp channel and a maximum of 25' of water. It produces some nice Congers, biggest we have had off it is 21lb though mid doubles is more normal. It used to be a fantastic Wrasse mark but it's suffered badly from the trapping that is going on up around there over the last few years, you can also pick up some nice pollack and the occasional Cod from it. The West Pier (round past the Hotel) is better as do the rocks over to the right, with the potential of producing just about every species that can be caught in Scottish watersPersonallyly I would avoid using wirhook lengthshs for anything and stick to a heavy tough monhook lengthth as even a small conger can destroy a heavy wire trace in no time.

If you want anymore info on the place just drop me a PM :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
It used to be a fantastic Wrasse mark but it's suffered badly from the trapping that is going on up around there over the last few years
Davy,

Just saw your mention of "trapping" in the quote above. Are people trapping wrasse now? What on earth for? I thought they were all but inedible? This is bad news - wrasse and pollack seem to be just about the only inshore species worth catching that haven't been pot hunted to near extinction these days.

cheers

Ron

·
Registered
157 Posts
They trap wrass to put in the salmon farms. The wrass eat the sea lice. Less sea lice equals better returns of salmon and sea trout to the rivers. The wrass fishing seems to have suffered but they only use small wrass as big ones will take the eyes out of the salmon. If the wrass are returned when they get too big there should be no negative impact...

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
As OCD says they are used as a natural pest control in the Salmon cages. Unfortunately as they prefer to use the smaller Goldsinney's, Rockcooks and Corkwings they never grow to big to be released so they are doing untold damage to the local stocks :(

·
Registered
157 Posts
The ballan wrass seem to be in shorter supply up your way over the passed few years. Maybe its just me or mabe I just got lucky a few years back and could not fail to catch lots with a few good ones in with the mix. Sea Trout numbers seem to be on the mend though... I would swap a few wee wrass for a nice big Sea Trout and day of the week!

I imagine if they farmed them then sooner or later a disease or pest would wipe out the natural stocks anyway.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The ballan wrass seem to be in shorter supply up your way over the passed few years. Maybe its just me or mabe I just got lucky a few years back and could not fail to catch lots with a few good ones in with the mix. Sea Trout numbers seem to be on the mend though... I would swap a few wee wrass for a nice big Sea Trout and day of the week!

I imagine if they farmed them then sooner or later a disease or pest would wipe out the natural stocks anyway.

·
Registered
929 Posts
On a visit to a fish farm on the west coast thru work I was shown how they have now started breeding wrasse to eat the sea lice off the salmon, they have a short window to use them, as too small they escape from the cages and to big as Davey says they eat the salmon eyes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.