World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This years September Weekend was just the 2 of us, as my brother was on nightshift all weekend so couldn't come up for some fash.

My dad and I had planned to get everything sorted on Thursday so that we could make a quick getaway on Friday. Got all the camping and fishing gear looked out and we were about to start loading the landrover and boat up, so decided to shift the cars about - all good. Next job was to pull the boat out from the side of the house. Opened the gate up and went to pull the boat... bugger! Left hand brake had seized on (Despite the hand brake being left off!) - tried to rock it back and forth to force it out... wasn't for moving... Oh well, have landrover will rope it out! Nope! Boat just slid across the concrete. Unfortunately it was the wheel nearest the fence that seized and we couldn't get a jack in to see what was going on.. luckily a couple of good whacks with the nylon mallet free'd it up - phew! Boat and LR now loaded, we waited for the morning.

Next morning we were up for 7, dropping my mum off at her work for 8 (Jetting off to Marbella for the weekend!) and headed up to the angling centre to pick up some last minute supplies. Back down the road, hook the boat up and we were off for Invercoe. Arrived at the campsite and got the tent set up before the winds hit. Oh how it howled! We abandoned the plan of getting out for a few hours and decided just to head to the pub for dinner!

Saturday morning came around (After my air bed deflated at 4am!!) with lots of wind and rain. My uncle had decided to come up for a day's fishing, so he arrived at the back of 8 and we got a fry up on the go. The wind and rain abated enough by about 10.30 so we decided to get out onto the water. We headed straight for one of our favourite marks, but after almost an hour with only 1 dogfish to show for it, we decided to move. Our next mark proved to be a little better. Ended up with 6 species between us; Thornback Ray, Lesser Spotted Dogfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Cod, Coalfish. The horrendous weather prevented many pictures on Saturday!

So we headed back in around 4.30 and got warmed up in a shower, put the jackets on and headed to the pub again, then back to the tent to have a few G&Ts!

My uncle headed down the road on Sunday morning & we met Gordon who had come up for a day's fishing. The weather was a bit better today and we were able to head further down the loch towards the narrows. Tried a few different marks here which proved to be quite successful! Throughout the day a number of new species arrived for all on-board, and I personally caught 2 new species - Leopard Spotted Goby & Cuckoo Wrasse. Quite interesting that we caught 3 Cuckoo Wrasse that were in the 3 stages of development; Female, transitioning & male. Species caught on Sunday were: Ballan Wrasse, Cuckoo Wrasse, Cod, Poor Cod, Pollock, Goldsinny Wrasse, Coalfish & Leopard Spotted Goby. Pictures from Sunday:

Continued...

Reactions: mzfishing

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Monday came around and the weather had improved quite a bit - the loch was flat calm at times!

My intention today was to put in the hours and try for a conger, so we headed to a mark, anchored up & waited. I was fishing 2 big baits and some sabikies, the big baits being half a mackerel and a squid in the hope of landing a decent conger. My dad was fishing a smaller hook on 1 rod just trying for dogfish or Thornbacks. Despite changing baits fairly regularly it proved to be a waste of time, as no conger were biting! My dad did manage a small Ling in amongst the poor cod, Thornback & dogfish. I also caught possibly the smallest Mackerel I've ever seen!

By Tuesday morning another storm had come in, so it was time to pack up and head home to wash the (now very ripe!) boat and get everything packed away.

Scotland is a braw place!

All in all a very good weekend despite the foul weather. Up to 18 species for the year - can I catch another 3 to make it a record year? Who knows!

Cheers,

Allan

·
Registered
828 Posts
Great report and cracking pics too. Well done on the range of species captured and for battling against the elements!

Tight lines

DJL

·
Registered
153 Posts
We were down at MOG and I had a few of those micro mackerel, thought they were gonna be a killer bate for Tope/bull Huss but no such luck.

Joe

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We were down at MOG and I had a few of those micro mackerel, thought they were gonna be a killer bate for Tope/bull Huss but no such luck.

Joe
I did have that thought too.. no chance of Tope or Huss in Leven though!

Allan

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
That sounds a cracking weekend you had guys, plenty of species and memories.
The weather wasn't the best, but you made a go of it in tough conditions.
It one of those trips to find the sheltered spots rather than an open mark.
Looks like you found a decent wee bit of rough ground with the wrasse, great sport.
Great report and thanks for sharing.

Cheers Willie

Reactions: Comacchio

·
Registered
236 Posts
Weather aside, it was a great weekend with an interesting species mix. Nice photographs and interesting write up. Well done.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Cracking trip there, shame about the weather.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Nice variety matey,,,that's kinda clear looking whisky,but,,ad a ditched that

Congrats on suffering the normal glen weather

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great report,where did you launch the boat?
Varied between the car park next to the Isles of Glencoe hotel (Steep slate shingle, 4x4 required) or at the slip within the Invercoe campsite, which is only useful from about a third of the tide up.

Allan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts