World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my last charter I found difficulty finding somewhere to rest my rod between drifts. I saw ad in SA for a gadget called a rail monkey. It fits over the rail a nd has a groove for the rod. The rest is made of a substance that slightly sticks to the rod. It seemed to fit the bill so at about 4pm yesterday I phoned and ordered a couple. 7-45am this morning the postman delivered them.

That's what I call service.

Fred

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Fred,

I did the same thing with Veals a couple of days ago. Placed an order for small parts shortly after 1530 and they arrived following morning.

It just goes to prove that there are people who care.

I ordered the velcro type rod holders. As you know I use the Breakaway V holders, but when it is choppy the rods bounce out of them. I'm just hoping that these will be better. (£2.10)

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi Drew, we will have to keep an eye on Fred, i think he will end up a tackle junky like you and I :D

Ryan.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not at all, not at all. Well, perhaps just a little bit. I'll give you a ring later

Fred

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi Fred, I wish the fish were as easy to reel in as you :D

Look forward to herring from you :D

Ryan.

All puns intended :p

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Ryan,

I had a quick check up on my sea fishing tackle just to see what I have collected over the years, this list excludes the early stuff that I have given away over the years.

Three uptide rods. Three downtide rods. Two beachcasters. Two spinning rods. (One is a Grauvell, say no more)

An Abu 7000C3, 7500C3, 6500 Mag Elite, Shimano TR200G, TLD20,

Ryobi 7000 FS, Daiwa Regal Baitcaster FS, and a lovely little Japanese spinning reel with no name other than Fibatube on the pouch. I bought it about 30 years ago for trout fishing, cost me £25 in those days.

Not forgetting Tackle boxes/bags, Trace wallets, lots of plastic boxes containing a 1001 odds and ends plus all of the other items associated with the sport. It cerainly mounts up, £3000 plus I reckon. Mind you spread over the years it's not so bad, and some of it was family presents.

All in all well worth it as far as I am concerned, and hopefully will last a few more years. I use it as much as possible and look after it by cleaning it after each trip.

Hope to meet up with you again in the not too distant future.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
What do you mean by say no more on the Grauvell Drew. I had a look through my various boxes and quite frankly I'm a bit embarrassed especially at the number of broken F/S reels with Sha******re written on them. :eek:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Paidfor,

A personal thing between Ryan and myself.

Most broken reels can be repaired. I can't see the point of keeping them if they are unrepairable, dump them or repair them, or give them to someone who can repair them and maybe use them. The choice is yours.

Cheers

Drew

G

·
hi fred

i see your getting right into it now,have you bagged any sea monsters are you and the gang coming down to the south for any chartering soon?might join ya

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Oh OK say no more nudge is as good as a wink to a blind man an' all that. Some of my broken reels are really not worth repairing - I bought them second hand on E-bay and used for a couple of months until handles fell off, gears stripped, bail arms snapped* deletete as necessary. Couple of others will do for spares when I can get round to repairing them.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Paidfor,

With all due respect I have repeatedly said, YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

I have been quite lucky with some of my secondhand gear i.e. two rods, I purchased a Daiwa Interline beachcaster from a chap who hadn't even used it. He gave it to me for £40 brand new unmarked. I advertised in Sea Angler for a Gemini Uptide rod and again was blessed with another, used once only rod, for £30. On each occasion I met both vendors and did a cash deal.

I would be wary about buying a second hand reel without seeing it and having a look at the inside. That is where the rust normally starts.

Save up and buy a decent reel, look after it and it will look after you.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Couldn't agree more but when I got back into sea fishing 'bout a year ago I didn't have much money and also wasn't sure I would stick it out so I didn't want to spend too much. Unfortunately I also have the habit of having a few beers while browsing E-bay, you know the type of thing " ah go on itsh only 2 pounsh more" and when I sober up in the morning I've bought a load of overpriced rubbish. :( Still I'm getting better and now I only have: 4 beachcasters, 3 uptiders, 1 10' surf rod, 2 10' spinning rods, 1 8' one and 1 6'. 1 abu 6000, 1 abu 5000, 2 abu f/s reels...............no I can't go on I'm getting too depressed cos the worst thing is I still only have 1 pair of hands. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Paid4 and Drew

I noticed neither of you has a partridge in a pear tree. :D :D

Solent Dave,

I'm off to South Coast with Drew this Saturday. Keeping my fingers crossed. Last trip I reeled in my first pollock. I didn't weigh it but I think it was about 4 lbs. I'm improving.

Fred

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Excuse my ingnorance but what is the difference between an uptiding road and a downtiding, I guess im also asking what is the difference in uptiding/downtiding.

Thanks
Mariek

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
May be wrong but as I understand it uptiding is when you cast away from the boat up tide the rods are generally longer and have soft tips to allow them to flex with the motion of the boat and still keep the bait anchored to the bottom. Downtiding is basically dropping the trace over the side

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mariek

Uptiding is used mainly in shallower waters, the object being to cast away from the boat to get outside the scare area. In deeper waters this isn't necessary.

Fred

·
Registered
438 Posts
we use a uptider in the bristol channel as the water is so fast you cast up tide of the boat then let the line run back down the tideso you have aloop in your line and the line runs back on the bottom hi fred

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Taff2

Hope you are keeping well.

Fred

1 - 18 of 18 Posts