World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

First report sorry if it sucks just though id share my morning fishing adventure :)

Got up at 3am for a bit of early fishing first time for me wasn't too bad thought id be a zombie. Got to Abbotsbury and got setup for about 4am. Was just starting to get light. Got the bass rod out with a macky head and started plugging for a bass on the spinning rod.

Plugged for a while with a variety of plugs and no bass :( just as it was getting lighter saw lots of action in the water about 10 feet out huge shoals of mackerell chasing whitebait i think. Loads were being washed up on the beach. Stuck the old feathers on the other rod and brought it full house of mackerell every cast got about 30 in about 15 mins so that will keep the family happy there always asking for mackies.

Plugged for a while longer with no luck beginning to think bass are a myth. But I did manage to get this Jar jar biinx looking thing on a 3 hook flapper using size 6 hooks and slithers of squid. Been told its a tub gurnard ??

Packed up at about 9 and headed home with a bag for of mackerell but alas no bass gutted beginning to think ill never get one.

Just to let ya know there was very little weed.

http://img32.imageshack.us/i/dscf0002jw.jpg/
http://img94.imageshack.us/i/dscf0001re.jpg/
Cheers

Matt

·
Registered
102 Posts
nice report,shame no bass put an appearance in but you cant win em all! For what its worth i would say the gurnard is a tub but then im no expert...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys is the spine on the top poisonous the little git kept trying to stab me with it when i was trying to remove the hook didn't wanna risk it incase i ended up with Paralysis was on the beach by myself lol.

Can anyone recomend any plugs that work well up at abbotsbury or anywhere along chesil beach dying to get a bass?? If you have any links to any of ya faves I would be very greatful :) What times and tides give you guys get the best results when plugging?

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the report. Good to see there's some maccies down there and that the weed was ok as I'm going down Weymouth for a week on Monday. Hard luck on the lack of bass but hopefully some folks will be able to advise on what plugs etc to use. Don't forget to report on your future attempts.:thumbs:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Pretty sure the spines are not poisonous - just very sharp! A bit like the "fabled" bass!

Gurnard are very good eating - if you get a big enough one that is worth keeping...

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
Cheers guys is the spine on the top poisonous the little git kept trying to stab me with it when i was trying to remove the hook didn't wanna risk it incase i ended up with Paralysis was on the beach by myself lol.

Can anyone recomend any plugs that work well up at abbotsbury or anywhere along chesil beach dying to get a bass?? If you have any links to any of ya faves I would be very greatful :) What times and tides give you guys get the best results when plugging?

Thanks

Matt
i was told by a well respected lure angler that the size 10 rapala xrap in ayu is deadly at chesil but not to bother with plugging til mid sep -oct time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts