World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Video link:

[video]http://www.flickr.com/photos/kennedybarnard/8180298611/[/video]

I thought i'd share a few pics from the Cod open. The day was an early start, I managed to be the 8th person signed in, Will (wetweatherwarrior) raced off beyond the teeth (actually running) with Steve (muppet) just behind. I kept a steady pace and was 2nd in from the end peg. As much as the hike was horrendous, the footsteps of the Anyfish Anywhere guy behind me kept me going. We had quite a bit of banter before the comp started.

I'll be honest it was a long day on the beach, sea not quite clear, but very little tidal movement. Will had a Doggie, Steve had a couple & a lovely Dab, I had a very drawn out blank. I lost leads early and the close proximity to other anglers made me cast sensibly, Will was casting less sensibly and also losing leads. The guy to my left was whacking out some really long casts, as was BigAnt on the end. Though it didn't seem any more fishy out there at distance where we were.

We were aware during the last hour anything above a 2lb Cod would scoop £1000, so bait ups were regular and I was even touch ledgering up until the last. When we got back to the weigh in; a guy right at the death had caught a 17lb'er, it was an absolute beauty. The guy was incredibly modest, gave the fish to a little boy and his winning raffle ticket to the lads brother. Apparently he was using lug & rag tipped with squid, right place at the right time I guess, a remarkable shore fish. 177 entrants, 2 Cod caught. The most expensive fish in Britain.

Steve Harder's Dab

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Wife snoring....so I got up and had a read on the forum.As per usual an excellent read and great photo`s.Ten out of ten to the chap that won.Those lads will not forget that match for the rest of their lives......noteworthy. Pete

·
Registered
276 Posts
Unlucky on your blank, looks like a nice day to be out though. Great pics and that dab is a beauty.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Nice report. Big Ant was on the end there? You must have a serious stride there Ant to beat a yomping former sailor!! :) And well done Chris. Keeping ahead of Muppet across that shingle. A fit man you must be. Had I been a betting man, I should have thought a lot more coddies than that would have come out. Especially the way the forum has been exploding with Chesil cod these last few weeks!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice report. Big Ant was on the end there? You must have a serious stride there Ant to beat a yomping former sailor!! :) And well done Chris. Keeping ahead of Muppet across that shingle. A fit man you must be. Had I been a betting man, I should have thought a lot more coddies than that would have come out. Especially the way the forum has been exploding with Chesil cod these last few weeks!!
No no no, Will beat everyone, bar Ant on the end peg who had a head start. Steve beat me. Steve is now the 2nd fastest thing alive on shingle.
The only positive I can draw is I got a bit of a tan.
It was worth you staying at home Rob.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks for the great report and photos. Thought it might be hard work, but that's quite disappointing. Just glad a cracker of a fish won it. I guess it won't be so busy down at Chesil now, until the next good report.
Mark

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Was me lol i got to the teeth in 8 minutes, shocked looking faces as i ran past people hahahaha :spiteful: . Thank god for the purbecks, every walk is a piece of **** now :wiggle:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Was a cracking day... Nice weather but unfortunately not the best conditions for those Chesil Cod... Sure there will be a few more about once things have been stirred up a bit.

The Dab weighed exactly 1lb... certainly the biggest I've had in a long time and very much looking forward to eating it for tea later.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great shots as per Chris,bad luck on the blank,but hey you don`t need the money anyway!!!!!
PS Lost all mine betting a certain football team will be in the champions league dohhhhhhhhhhh

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great shots as per Chris,bad luck on the blank,but hey you don`t need the money anyway!!!!!
PS Lost all mine betting a certain football team will be in the champions league dohhhhhhhhhhh
B***dy well do... Just bought another Trinidad & a Torium so my brother can fish the Conger comp with me Saturday in Brixham.

Granddad bet on that certain team to win the double and they did... I choose bets carefully, normally exploit an Everton or Liverpool fan at work, pride before the fall.

As for blanks, it's part and parcel, think it was worse for the famous guys fishing there.

·
Registered
776 Posts
No no no, Will beat everyone, bar Ant on the end peg who had a head start. Steve beat me. Steve is now the 2nd fastest thing alive on shingle.
The only positive I can draw is I got a bit of a tan.
It was worth you staying at home Rob.
Really I think some old carrot cruncher licked you all lol, both ways.nice to of met you :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Really I think some old carrot cruncher licked you all lol, both ways.nice to of met you :)
Good to meet you too, I guess i'll see you Sat at Brixham if you are still going. To be fair, the carrot cruncher outwitted us all, he pulled out ye olde tri-cocktail (lug/rag/squid), tried and tested bait up for hundreds of years & only walked a third of the distance we did, he must have felt pretty content when putting his feet up that evening.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Good to meet you too, I guess i'll see you Sat at Brixham if you are still going. To be fair, the carrot cruncher outwitted us all, he pulled out ye olde tri-cocktail (lug/rag/squid), tried and tested bait up for hundreds of years & only walked a third of the distance we did, he must have felt pretty content when putting his feet up that evening.
Definetly will be there from about 3pm setting up everything for signing on and then stewarding at the far section of the breakwater.Weather looks very good for the event and expected conger catches are high.:wiggle:Ask Will done, he might want another speed march lesson lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.