World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading Freddies report ,and after coming back from Abbo the other night a good few rigs lighter , i remembered a previous trip there a year or so ago when i seemed to lose gear on the retrieve at one stage on almost every fishless cast :uhuh:

I wonder how much of the 'snag' in question is man made or is there simply a ledge or drop off just below the low water mark that catches your lead :g:
A net does sound plausable as even when i let line back out it seemed to stay put even with the big swell we had .
knowing my luck i've been casting into the only snag on chesil lol but would appreciate other more experienced chesilites opinions :notworthy

·
Registered
227 Posts
happens every year caused by a bunch of utterly moronic and useles anglers hitting chesil from all parts of the country in busses and the like with not so much as a clue cracking off rigs getting shingled in and leavig great big lengths of leader and line drifting around which for good old chesil tumble weeds that are shingled in and can strech for miles... some of the rigs that i have retrieved this year u really have to wonder what on earth goes through peoples heads thank god most cant cast properly otherwise there would be a lot of lead flying up the beach not out in the sea best stick to the armchair lads its safer for us all.....

·
Registered
242 Posts
I fished abbo sat night into Sunday morning and came home with 4 more leads than I went with due to pulling in lost tackle, all was hooked fairly close in.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I fished Abbs 3 weeks ago and found it was snaggier over low,(peg 29 200 yds to the left) and after using 15lb mono with 60lb shock on 525,s previously I have pulled for breaks all too often.
Have since gone back Olskool and now use 30lb Powerpro Braid with Shimano Ultegra C14 FS reels with 65lb Braid shock and find I end up crankin in more old kit than losing it now,or the braid cuts thru "some" snags.
It aint everybodys cuppa T I agree, and wont appeal to 99% of multi users as I found it a pain on my 525,s to cast but on a FS it casts sweet as,so for me anyway its a good alternative if your stuck ona snag pit !!!!!!!!!! and you cant move due to other anglers.
Just keep your casting straight and you wont become Mr unpopular with your neighbours mono set up......:thumbs:

Gazza

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was a big tide pull this weekend, I got snagged a few times and put it down to the shingle getting washed over my line.
For sure , the tide and swell wasnt helping but i could lift the rod , then retrieve 80 yards without a problem and about 20 yards before the low water mark it went solid .. might be worth whacking the old fixed spool on and casting 30lb braid over it to go shopping for leads :yeah:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't cast uptide in to me might help

lol, if i cast uptide into you ,then the snag must have been right infront of you .. i take it you were losing leads left right and centre based on that logic :bleh:

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
There was some netting down at Abbotsbury a couple of weeks ago, only about 50 yards out (that was at high) I lost 4 sets of gear on it, but Ben cleared some of it out and retrieved my rigs for me :)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I lost a rig last year. Snagged it with the next cast and retrieved it complete with 1 1/2lb whiting. Does that count?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
not all snags are from anglers, some start off as random debris, netting etc, but then you add a few hundred fluff chuckers and anglers who don't understand uptiding or the affects of moving shingle and you soon end up with a snag that gets bigger and bigger, and the motion of the waves dumps it at the bottom of the gutter 10-20 yards out from the low tide mark. Then a big old storm comes along and breaks some of it up and buries some of it, but again the odd lump is left and new ones are dropped all over the place... and so the cycle begins again.
If I was fishing and lost more than 1 set of gear and I had an option to move along a few hundred yards then I would do so.

·
Registered
865 Posts
a lot of it is almost certainly peoples lost gear, and especially bad at the end of the summer early winter after all the mackerel bashers with no shock leaders have lost hundreds of sets of tinsel..
a few years back i snagged and after cranking in for a good 10 minutes pulled in 13 sets of gear in a tangle of rigs as big as a football. stocked up the lead supplies for a while... unfortunately if its buried in or attached to the bottom then your gear can easily join all the rest of the junk out there.

G

·
if the snags are at the easiest accessible part of the venue it would seem its previous lost anglers gear as that part of the beach would see the most anglers , a slack line on a short cast in a rough sea can get buried under shifting shingle in the gutter making it feel like a snag and u wont pull out

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if the snags are at the easiest accessible part of the venue it would seem its previous lost anglers gear as that part of the beach would see the most anglers , a slack line on a short cast in a rough sea can get buried under shifting shingle in the gutter making it feel like a snag and u wont pull out
:thumbs:

that was the thing mate , after reeling in to change bait i would get right to the gutter and hit a solid wall ..i managed a decent whiting and got the rig and the fish back , so i assumed as i was using a pulley rig that the lead or pennel were either running into either an almost vertical shingle wall or a mountain of other gear..
only happened over low water so i imagine the lack of water meant i was reeling in right into the same trap :g:
This is why i asked - if it is old gear then in future i will move 100 yds and not add to the carnage :notworthy

·
Registered
538 Posts
The biggest snag at Abbotsbury is the number of idiots, can't call them anglers, who set up close to you and cast over your lines dragging them in and getting them burried in the surf.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
:thumbs:

that was the thing mate , after reeling in to change bait i would get right to the gutter and hit a solid wall ..i managed a decent whiting and got the rig and the fish back , so i assumed as i was using a pulley rig that the lead or pennel were either running into either an almost vertical shingle wall or a mountain of other gear..
only happened over low water so i imagine the lack of water meant i was reeling in right into the same trap :g:
This is why i asked - if it is old gear then in future i will move 100 yds and not add to the carnage :notworthy
your always more likely to snag at chesil at low water,some places are alot worse than others for it,the only times i really snag at chesil is at low water when reeling in(like you mentioned) or in the mussel beds at one mark i fish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.