World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished from 11 last nite(low water) till 3.30 this morning with the misses. Bought a small amount of rag and pound of lug and squid.

Plan was for me to fish for cod and the misses have some fun on the whiting with the rag worm.

With the sign of no cod and the girlfriend commenting on how much she was beating me 6-0. I turned over to whiting fishing, using the lug and squid(trying to get the better fish).

All i caught was 2 whiting of about half a pound and one pollock of about just under 2 pound(highly supprised to catch one of the beach ). The missses caught 12 whiting, a couple of decent size ones of about 1 and a half pounds.

All in all a good going. The misses used nothing besides rag worm.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Doesn't she have any ironing or cleaning to do? If she has finished all that then I'm sure there are socks to be darned, shoes to be polished, reels to service, onions to be cleaned & pickled for Xmas, etc, etc, etc, I think you are taking this "getting in touch with your feminine side" far too far Kelvin.
Remember the old saying "keep them poorly shod, & well battered if you want to keep them", chauvanism rules ok!
blueskip
PS must go & do the dusting!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aberavon with a F is the english spelling. Shes not my wife, shes my girl firend lol, im not that crazy.

By the way ive had my head biten off, for this thread. She was reading it over my shoulder. She had a few choosen words for me to put in the reply but i guess its for the best that i dont put them in lol.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
What is Aberavon fishing like Kelvin? Obviously it needs to be a big tide in the dark & the tide & time seem ideal for 11/12/13/14th Dec. Does it need to be calm or do you need a surf running. I often fish Amroth this time of year but if Aberavon is fishing well its a lot closer.
I have fished Morfa beach for turbot in the spring, but I have only ever fished Aberavon once, in a competition, & some lying sod came back from behind the Naval Club with a dogfish that must have been 3 days dead, & got some mug to sign his card, & he won £300!
Come on Kelvin convince me to go to Aberavon instead of Amroth, it'll give your girlfriend a chance to batter me, (when she has finished her chores)!
Blueskip

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just got back from there tonite, there are plenty of whiting beginning caught, not to sure about the cod.

Been told that the cod fishing only really happens in dec, and im guessing there needs to be a big tide and a bit of a surf.

Sorry about the lack of info but this is my first season targetting the cod off the beach so my info is taken from the locals. Its hard working out whats bullshit and what is worth believing.

Most of the whiting by teh way is taken on ray and fish bait. But the better fish falling to lug.

kelvin

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Kelvin,

Just noticed that you were down Aberavon tonite..Just got back myself..Where were you fishing?????

Had a fairly slow nite but about 1 hr into it i hooked into an absolute belter. Taking line off the reel and everything. Really pulling back and fighting well until i got it into the surf and it was off....
About 1 hour later,i hooked into another stormer...rod was bent double and again it fought all the way to the beach and then it was off...when i stopped cursing, i realised that i had a 1/2 lb whiting on which was covered in teeth marks all down the back!!!! Whatever i hooked,gave a great fight and obviously let go in the surf...Any Ideas lads!?!?!?!?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i fished straight out from francos, how unlucky can u be, havew that happen twice sound mate. Dont knoew what it could have been maybe a late bass, could i even say a cod?? Not to sure sorry mate where by were u fishing.

kelvin

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
With the proximity of the "long arm" & the fact that its getting colder & grub is getting scarce, I reckon you had one if them "congerillas" patrolling after the whiting shoals. Stick a rod out with a small baited hook for a whiting, & stick a 5/0 or 6/0 as the "bare arsed" floater above it as a Pennel Rig, put a big grip lead on, & let the whiting rattle about out there on the big griplead, see if that attracts him. If it does he will take the 5/0 along with the whiting.
Blueskip

·
Registered
129 Posts
Fished straight off the steps by the new nursng home at the very end of the prom...had a few whites and even a tiny bass. My first impressions where Conger but i could't be sure. Got the old heart going anyway!!!! twice..

How's the Foreshore fishing now Poacher??? Popped down The Ranny yesterday for a snoop around..looked good but never fished it..any tips???
Pottsy

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
on the whole pots, i would b fair and say foreshore patchy. somtimes u go and its bite, bite,bite, and next time it is dead, a bite here and there. certainly cod r about but in no numbers, so it is pot luk. some nice size whiting about, hitting 2lb and over, i had 1 of 2lb 4oz, and 2lb 6oz. thats a good whiting 4 the table, havent seen them like that for years. not off the beach anyway. and very rarely on the boats 2 b honest. still early days i think. any good fish r pot luk. but saying that we have lost some good heavy fish lately, so they r about m8. i think sometime this winter it is goin 2 b 1 of the best periods for years, and i say sometime, do u no what i mean, just a feeling, havent had a feeling for ages,heehee.but i seriously think we r all in for somthing good. and i feel end december, january time..but i should b on m8s boats at these dates. usually am anyway. so lets hope eay? m8y........

1 - 20 of 23 Posts